2 White Sox have Covid 19

Dick Allen

52 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The Sox 3rd baseman is in his early 20s. The first baseman is in his mid 30s. If Vaughn can play 3rd, great, but he is going to be at 1st.

Because of this, I think this move is all about trade value. It is very unlikely that Vaughn would play 3B for the White Sox anytime soon. I think their preference is to keep him, but he is also just about the only legitimate trade piece we have, and if a front-line starter becomes available, it is always nice to at least have options. The Sox believe in Vaughn despite being a 5'10" righty 1B, but other teams might be much more inclined to believe in Vaughn if he can play 3B.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

I actually disagree. If Vaughn is one of the 44 guys in camp, you have to imagine that he's in the 2-deep. God forbid that the team gets hit by a significant Covid outbreak, you could see him being called up to play 1b, dh, 3b, hell, even 2b, which was his position in HS. I believe this year is so unpredictable that a lot of unlikely scenarios are on the table now.

Yup.  Was chatting about this with my buddy the other day.  We could see some wild ass shit.  If a team gets hit hard we will absolutely see guys that "aren't ready" forced into action.  From a competitive standpoint it's horse shit as certain teams will be luckier than others, but from a fan's POV it should be quite entertaining.

30 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Because of this, I think this move is all about trade value. It is very unlikely that Vaughn would play 3B for the White Sox anytime soon. I think their preference is to keep him, but he is also just about the only legitimate trade piece we have, and if a front-line starter becomes available, it is always nice to at least have options. The Sox believe in Vaughn despite being a 5'10" righty 1B, but other teams might be much more inclined to believe in Vaughn if he can play 3B.

Literally no teams are going to believe that Vaughn is a 3b, especially after this season, in any sort of trade talks. They'd have to see him play there in a full minor league season first such that they could both scout him and see him in a large variety of game situations, which he won't be doing any time soon.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Literally no teams are going to believe that Vaughn is a 3b, especially after this season, in any sort of trade talks. They'd have to see him play there in a full minor league season first such that they could both scout him and see him in a large variety of game situations, which he won't be doing any time soon.

agreed, I'm not saying the Sox are just slapping a 3B sticker over the 1B sticker and hoping no one notices its the same merchandise lol. I think playing him a whole season at 3B starts with testing him out there during camp though, and the sooner you can start building that reputation in the media the better.

Rep in the media?  These are pro gms in the saber era man.  This isn't hawk trading for some guy 'cause he read a glowing profile in the Sporting News on his skills at third base.

Any move they make for Vaughn has diddly squat to do with "media rep" and everything to do with maximizing his value as an asset to the Sox.  If they think he can handle 3B for 20 odd games a year as a backup there is zero reason not to get started on it.  It only enhances his value if he can play a passable 3B once and awhile to give the 25 man more flexability.

44 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yup.  Was chatting about this with my buddy the other day.  We could see some wild ass shit.  If a team gets hit hard we will absolutely see guys that "aren't ready" forced into action.  From a competitive standpoint it's horse shit as certain teams will be luckier than others, but from a fan's POV it should be quite entertaining.

I think if we start seeing teams "getting hit hard" the season will most likely get cancelled  by either MLB or the Union. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I think if we start seeing teams "getting hit hard" the season will most likely get cancelled  by either MLB or the Union. 

If more than 50% of a team is infected, the whole league will have to shut down. The scheduling is too tight for a ravaged team to miss even a couple games without a major cascading effect around the league. Buckle up, this season is gonna be bonkers

• Like 1

Obviously I have no information on the subject, but does anyone think Kopech could be pouting because the Sox told him he was going to be sent down to gain back the year of service?

-Also I completely forgot we extended Moncada! 

3 minutes ago, black jack said:

Obviously I have no information on the subject, but does anyone think Kopech could be pouting because the Sox told him he was going to be sent down to gain back the year of service?

-Also I completely forgot we extended Moncada! 

No on Kopech.

Forgot about Moncada too. I’ve had a few of those baseball memory things the last couple months- Encarnacion: oh yeah he’s on the team. Last week I looked up Eloy to see if this was his second or third season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

No on Kopech.

Forgot about Moncada too. I’ve had a few of those baseball memory things the last couple months- Encarnacion: oh yeah he’s on the team. Last week I looked up Eloy to see if this was his second or third season. 

We extended Robert this offseason. I didn't know about Moncada. There were early talks about extending Moncada back in February but was put on hold when they closed spring training. 

33 minutes ago, smellysox said:

We extended Robert this offseason. I didn't know about Moncada. There were early talks about extending Moncada back in February but was put on hold when they closed spring training. 

It got done about a week before they quit for covid. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I think the exact opposite. For whatever legal reason they're maneuvering to give excuses when asked.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

I don’t get that vibe at all. The answers around Moncada seem very obvious it’s COVID (not saying it’s 100% that but certainly seems like it) but the stuff around Kopech has a different vibe to it. 

Whatever the case, hope everyone stays healthy and gets the help they need, with whatever they may be dealing with. 

Kopech could have Covid but he's not one of the two. He never reported. The two names were from intake testing and Bilek's educated guess seems to be pretty accurate. Kopech is out with an undisclosed personal issue 

21 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Thanks Jack. I just googled it.  I really don't know how I missed that. So at least 5 yrs $70 million with an option that could take that to $90 million. Very good contract. Like it.

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Screw it, let Vaughn get reps at 2nd and see if he can pull a Moustakas.

That's what I've been thinking too. Can you imagine the difference between what is basically a guaranteed 95-110 wRC+ bat in Madrigal being replaced by the sky high ceiling of Vaughn? The defensive drop-off might be worth it at that point

1 hour ago, flavum said:

No on Kopech.

1 hour ago, smellysox said:

50 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

But does anyone remember that we even extended Aaron Bummer a few weeks later?? Because I forgot until today.

29 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

But does anyone remember that we even extended Aaron Bummer a few weeks later?? Because I forgot until today.

I do kinda remember this one though 5 years $16 million.  But to be honest, had to Google it for the dollar amount.  Was thinking it was 12 million. But I also forgot all about it until today. 

9 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

That's what I've been thinking too. Can you imagine the difference between what is basically a guaranteed 95-110 wRC+ bat in Madrigal being replaced by the sky high ceiling of Vaughn? The defensive drop-off might be worth it at that point

Madrigal is also supposed to be a true gold glove 2b though, so you’re talking a really substantial defensive dropoff. And if Vaughn at 2b means Abreu at 1b, my word what have we done to the defense over there, we may as well put Anderson in the overshift against everyone.

Plus, both he and Vaughn would be really cheap. Don’t discount that, if Madrigal is a good but not great player, but you pay each of them under $10 million for their first 4 years combined, that’s money that can go to a big upgrade elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Madrigal is also supposed to be a true gold glove 2b though, so you’re talking a really substantial defensive dropoff. And if Vaughn at 2b means Abreu at 1b, my word what have we done to the defense over there, we may as well put Anderson in the overshift against everyone.

Plus, both he and Vaughn would be really cheap. Don’t discount that, if Madrigal is a good but not great player, but you pay each of them under $10 million for their first 4 years combined, that’s money that can go to a big upgrade elsewhere.

... which proves even more costly when you look at some of our pitchers like Keuchel that induce a lot of ground balls. Now is when we should be stressing strong infield defense - we've got enough bats to go around, we don't need HRs at every single position just to be able to compete now.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Orlando said:

not saying it means anything but a lot of chatter about Vaughn’s reps at 3rd today. I wonder if he’s a fallback option if Yoan does recover quickly

The difference between a "butcher" and a "gold-glove" are less than one thinks. All these guys could play every position okay for 75% of plays. You could but Abreu at 3b and 75% of the plays he'd be able to complete. It's the other quarter of plays that matter. But it's also why you can't give teams a 4th out or a bad pitch call/extra pitch can lead to trouble in the MLB. I have no doubt Vaughn could play 3rd base and 75-90% of the time be fine. Its just not an ideal situation. 

13 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Madrigal is literally the perfect complementary piece on this roster.  He does EXACTLY the things the Sox have lacked for years.  Let's stop trying to replace him or trade him or upgrade from him.  Just let him go out there and play gold glove defense, hit .290-.310 and be towards the top of the league in putting the ball in play the next 6-7 seasons.  

• Like 3