2 White Sox have Covid 19

Dick Allen

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Madrigal is literally the perfect complementary piece on this roster.  He does EXACTLY the things the Sox have lacked for years.  Let's stop trying to replace him or trade him or upgrade from him.  Just let him go out there and play gold glove defense, hit .290-.310 and be towards the top of the league in putting the ball in play the next 6-7 seasons.  

Amen.  I think people sometimes get confused that OPS should be the measuring stick for ALL types of players.  It really doesn’t apply whatsoever to put-the-ball-in-play guys. 

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Madrigal is literally the perfect complementary piece on this roster.  He does EXACTLY the things the Sox have lacked for years.  Let's stop trying to replace him or trade him or upgrade from him.  Just let him go out there and play gold glove defense, hit .290-.310 and be towards the top of the league in putting the ball in play the next 6-7 seasons.  

I’m not actively looking to replace him, just think that moving Vaughn doesn’t make sense if it’s to a position where we have a superstar locked in for 6 years.

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I’m not actively looking to replace him, just think that moving Vaughn doesn’t make sense if it’s to a position where we have a superstar locked in for 6 years.

I know I quoted you, but it was more of a general comment.  People around here tend to downplay what Madrigal brings to the table.  Just let him go out there and play ball and hold down 2B for the foreseeable future.  He's going to be a good one, and like I said, an awesome fit on this roster.

Vaughn is going to play 1B for the Sox and is incredibly unlikely to play an inning in the big leagues in 2020.  I have no issues with him taking reps at other positions in ST (much like Jose always takes reps at 3B in ST), but our IF in pretty locked down for the next 5 years outside of 1B.  

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think a portion of every fan base focuses only on power numbers.  Complimentary guys like Madrigal and even Engel are pieces that successful teams usually on their roster. 

4 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

The difference between a "butcher" and a "gold-glove" are less than one thinks. All these guys could play every position okay for 75% of plays. You could but Abreu at 3b and 75% of the plays he'd be able to complete. It's the other quarter of plays that matter. But it's also why you can't give teams a 4th out or a bad pitch call/extra pitch can lead to trouble in the MLB. I have no doubt Vaughn could play 3rd base and 75-90% of the time be fine. Its just not an ideal situation. 

In 2019 at 2nd base it was worth 11.8 runs over the course of the season per UZR. Eyeballing it, it looks like Vaughn would have to put up a wRC+ more than 30 points higher than Madrigal at 2b to make up that difference, and that's not counting baserunning. He could do that, but what a waste of a bat.