2 White Sox have Covid 19

Dick Allen

42 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I don't care if we lose Moncada, Abreu, Grandal, Robert and Giolito to Covid. All i want to do is get done with work for the day, sit down, and mentally drift away to something. we could be 20-40 or 40-20 and it'd mean the exact same to me. This season really doesn't matter at all. 

Unfortunately at a certain point you'll see someone like Trout opt out or test positive (Gallo has to be the biggest name so far?) & it will cause more and more pause to what they're even doing out there. Still holding out hope - but I'd have to think we're still at 50/50 for a season. 

Once someone gets really sick, and someone will, it’s over. 

50 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I don't care if we lose Moncada, Abreu, Grandal, Robert and Giolito to Covid. All i want to do is get done with work for the day, sit down, and mentally drift away to something. we could be 20-40 or 40-20 and it'd mean the exact same to me. This season really doesn't matter at all. 

Unfortunately at a certain point you'll see someone like Trout opt out or test positive (Gallo has to be the biggest name so far?) & it will cause more and more pause to what they're even doing out there. Still holding out hope - but I'd have to think we're still at 50/50 for a season. 

I get where you are coming from, I really do. I also miss being able to check out from life for a while with baseball.

But the issue of players getting COVID goes a lot further than how our team does in the standings. Even if every player survives, many may deal with life-altering lung damage, or other long-term complications. If this is the price of baseball, I find it quite callous to say it is a price worth paying so we can unwind after work. Old games exist. Non-team sports that are safer to bring back exist.

I really really hope that the MLB finds a way to come back safely, but the safe part is more important than coming back, just like the players' health is more important than the quality of my evening television options.

16 minutes ago, mqr said:

Once someone gets really sick, and someone will, it’s over. 

Eh, we've seen no evidence of that so far. This is a part of the population that's largely going to suffer very little effects from COVID-19 (certainly nothing more than the flu/headaches).

Playing in the MLB without a mask, once everyone's been tested and cleared, is safer than going to the grocery store with a mask. Of course there's a bunch of positive tests from asymptomatic people-that's what this virus does.

The thing that sucks is the weeks burnt over the 60/70 argument. They could've just gone with 60 right off the bat and had more time to test these fucks. Now they're up against it to make opening day.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'd advise not running with rumors. Why would he even need to go to indiana? Bars are open in illinois.

I know for a fact Moncada's barber is in Indiana, and @ChiliIrishHammock24 said he was in Indiana. I have no idea if the latter is true, but it makes sense considering 1) back up north and gets his hair cut before the season begins, goes to a few establishments after and 2) Chili is pretty well connected.

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

When this happens, it should be over. But I'm not convinced that it will actually outweigh the desire for revenue. 

I think the players bail at that point, is what I was getting at. Already a lot of rumblings of what the hell are we doing here, really? from players

Edited by mqr

22 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

Eh, we've seen no evidence of that so far. This is a part of the population that's largely going to suffer very little effects from COVID-19 (certainly nothing more than the flu/headaches).

Playing in the MLB without a mask, once everyone's been tested and cleared, is safer than going to the grocery store with a mask. Of course there's a bunch of positive tests from asymptomatic people-that's what this virus does.

The thing that sucks is the weeks burnt over the 60/70 argument. They could've just gone with 60 right off the bat and had more time to test these fucks. Now they're up against it to make opening day.

FWIW, I think there's pretty good evidence this is wrong. The "generally in good shape" part should help most of the players, but even then there are people who get substantially sick. Maybe not requiring hospitalization, but either they're hit hard, or they have potentially major side-effects. 

Posted in the other thread that on average, among people who are "healthy" and in this age range, the death rate is probably ~0.1% or so, and may be improving using the steroids to suppress the immune system. That's still enough to potentially have a player die, but furthermore - some players are all but certain to have some medical issues they are handling, diabetes, cardiac issues, etc. 

But even beyond the deaths, we can see right now that the age group that is getting this in Texas and elsewhere is younger and healthier than the first population that was hit, and we're still seeing several percent of the patients hospitalized. And anecdotally, we're seeing several percent of the people who get it have had lingering symptoms for months, sometimes minor sometimes major. Rudy Gobert - we all know exactly when he had it - and his sense of smell hasn't returned 4 months later. That's telling you right there that even for very healthy, NBA caliber midseason form athletes, this thing can do some major internal damage. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

I think the players bail at that point, is what I was getting at. Already a lot of rumblings of what the hell are we doing here, really? from players

Help me out, don't let me down, I could learn from you.

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

When this happens, it should be over. But I'm not convinced that it will actually outweigh the desire for revenue. 

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

I think the players bail at that point, is what I was getting at.

I don't think the players bail at one person getting really sick. Some extra ones might opt out, for example Markakis just opted out from talking to Freeman about how bad it was, but a good number will stay in. I think either it takes a rash of people getting seriously sick or, more likely, it takes this thing hammering 2 or 3 teams all at once and the safety procedures being proven to just not be enough, before they pull the plug.

10 minutes ago, mqr said:

I think its obvious.  A bunch of them need to make money.  Well over half the league isn't going to be in the league in a half decade.  Punting the chances at millions (or even hundreds of thousands) is an easy risk when playing baseball is no more risky than picking up groceries, running into Home Depot, getting your phone repaired at the Apple Store, etc. 

Mike Trout can afford to sit back and say ehhh...this may not be worth it.  Older guys who have made tons of money in the league like Ryan Zimmerman and Ian Desmond can do the same.  But the vast majority of these guys want to play baseball, and want to make the money that comes with it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think its obvious.  A bunch of them need to make money.  Well over half the league isn't going to be in the league in a half decade.  Punting the chances at millions (or even hundreds of thousands) is an easy risk when playing baseball is no more risky than picking up groceries, running into Home Depot, getting your phone repaired at the Apple Store, etc. 

Mike Trout can afford to sit back and say ehhh...this may not be worth it.  Older guys who have made tons of money in the league like Ryan Zimmerman and Ian Desmond can do the same.  But the vast majority of these guys want to play baseball, and want to make the money that comes with it.  

There is a bunch of them who do, but most who really make the league, do not.  Hopefully they can get a decent grip on testing and keeping players safe or I wouldn’t be surprised if there are not enough top level guys to keep on going, All it takes is the right couple of players to get freaked and a lot will follow. And again, I wouldn’t blame anyone for opting out. Perhaps things can return to something more normal by spring training 2021. Right now they are playing with fire. I understand they had to give it a go, and they really don’t have the luxury of doing it like the NBA or NHL. The only other real option was spring training sites. But AZ in August is brutal. FL it rains a lot and is insanely hot and humid. And they have huge breakouts. I hope this works, but they are going to have to be really smart and really lucky for this to turn into anything but a hot mess.

2 hours ago, Bad Hombre said:

Honestly, if any player were to get I’d rather they get it out of the way now as opposed to during the season. Hopefully he’ll be back quickly. 

Yup, I obviously don’t want anyone to get it, but selfishly now is definitely the best time for a position player  to miss time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah but Moncada is the Sox best player and the Sox have no depth at 3B. 

Some people have mild symptoms for months. 

This would be like the Braves losing Acuna instead of Freeman. 

The Sox have already reported both players are asymptomatic.  Maybe that could change, but right I would definitely not assume the worst.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

There is a bunch of them who do, but most who really make the league, do not.  Hopefully they can get a decent grip on testing and keeping players safe or I wouldn’t be surprised if there are not enough top level guys to keep on going, All it takes is the right couple of players to get freaked and a lot will follow. And again, I wouldn’t blame anyone for opting out. Perhaps things can return to something more normal by spring training 2021. Right now they are playing with fire. I understand they had to give it a go, and they really don’t have the luxury of doing it like the NBA or NHL. The only other real option was spring training sites. But AZ in August is brutal. FL it rains a lot and is insanely hot and humid. And they have huge breakouts. I hope this works, but they are going to have to be really smart and really lucky for this to turn into anything but a hot mess.

"Most who really make the league, do not" what?  Need the money?

If that is what you meant, I strongly disagree.  Most guys who are "in the league" by the true sense of the word "most" definitely cannot afford to go a full year without making any money. Sure, there are definitely a percentage of guys who are extremely wealthy and can afford to sit out, but there is a larger percentage who are not.     

Edited by ChiSox59

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Sox have already reported both players are asymptomatic.  Maybe that could change, but right I would definitely not assume the worst.

Yes, but they have to get through it first. It could be in the early stages. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Aren’t players being tested every two days?  If so, hopefully they’ll be able to catch positive results fairly quickly after a false negative.

Yeah that is the point of taking two tests days apart. Just in case there is a false negative. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't think the players bail at one person getting really sick. Some extra ones might opt out, for example Markakis just opted out from talking to Freeman about how bad it was, but a good number will stay in. I think either it takes a rash of people getting seriously sick or, more likely, it takes this thing hammering 2 or 3 teams all at once and the safety procedures being proven to just not be enough, before they pull the plug.

Agree.