Not Steve Cishek: White Sox could be “Big Time” buyers this offseason

These 60 games (hopefully) may be the perfect selling point for Betts. Big market, up and coming, willing to pay...it may be right player/right time. I’m high on Mazara more than most, but if Betts is there, holy shitake mushrooms.

37 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

I like Not Steve, he seems at least moderately reliable as a source. But this is a brilliant example of classic pundit BS. If true, he gets to retweet himself months later and look smart. If he is wrong, it will have been so long that no one will remember, and even if they did, they would be too mad at the White Sox to care about it.

You must not be familiar with Sox fans. Hell there are ones on here holding grudges over stuff going back to the 1950s. If the Sox fan base is good at anything it is being upset about stuff that happened a long time ago.

• Love 3

26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You must not be familiar with Sox fans. Hell there are ones on here holding grudges over stuff going back to the 1950s. If the Sox fan base is good at anything it is being upset about stuff that happened a long time ago.

1984...Scott Fletcher has an awful game I am attending where he fails at the plate more than once and commits an error to blow the game and generally ruin my evening....I hate him to this day!!!

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Like trading Johnny Callison in 1959.

Just to get this straight, "unprecedented circumstances" means the continuing fight against Covid and the likelihood of a strike after the 2021 season? Or perhaps it just means Covid since 1 more season can supposedly be played in 2021.

If this season cannot be finished and the possibility exists that 2021 will not be better, what is the rationale behind spending big ? If this season is a failure and does not result in the playoffs for the Sox or the season cannot be finished what would be the incentive behind spending more money when the money spend this past off season would be basically flushed down the toilet . I know that the FA contracts paid out by the Sox will not be fully paid but that still leaves a lot of risk especially if we are no better off next year regarding the health of the nation. Owners too will be hurt if we cannot get people back into stadiums to watch games. There is bound to be lasting effects from Covid that will hurt attendance for at least a few more years. I can't imagine spending more money in more years marred by Covid and a players strike in the 3rd year in which Covid still may be around. That could be 3 years in a row that only partial seasons are played and all 3 could result in the World Series being cancelled. The Sox window could not have opened at a worse time.

I am not being pessimistic . I'm just looking for a reason that ANY team would spend big in "unprecented circumstances " that may become even worse than they are now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Just to get this straight, "unprecedented circumstances" means the continuing fight against Covid and the likelihood of a strike after the 2021 season? Or perhaps it just means Covid since 1 more season can supposedly be played in 2021.

If this season cannot be finished and the possibility exists that 2021 will not be better, what is the rationale behind spending big ? If this season is a failure and does not result in the playoffs for the Sox or the season cannot be finished what would be the incentive behind spending more money when the money spend this past off season would be basically flushed down the toilet . I know that the FA contracts paid out by the Sox will not be fully paid but that still leaves a lot of risk especially if we are no better off next year regarding the health of the nation. Owners too will be hurt if we cannot get people back into stadiums to watch games. There is bound to be lasting effects from Covid that will hurt attendance for at least a few more years. I can't imagine spending more money in more years marred by Covid and a players strike in the 3rd year in which Covid still may be around. That could be 3 years in a row that only partial seasons are played and all 3 could result in the World Series being cancelled. The Sox window could not have opened at a worse time.

I am not being pessimistic . I'm just looking for a reason that ANY team would spend big in "unprecented circumstances " that may become even worse than they are now.

Reinsdorf is getting up there in age, so maybe he sees one last window to truly go for it starting next year.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Reinsdorf is getting up there in age, so maybe he sees one last window to truly go for it starting next year.

That crossed my mind but at what age do you start taking that kind of action or thinking you only have a short time left ? No one is guaranteed even the next day. A person could start thinking that way at any age especially if family has a history of certain illnesses. 65 ? 70 ? 75 ? 80 ? Reinsdorf is 84 . I don't think the age thing holds any water. With him it's always a business decision 1st and foremost ,with other reasons secondary. I don't think he ever felt he was in a position to do things for his own benefit at least in a way that involves spending a lot of money. For his and the Board of Directors benefit spending less money was usually the case.

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I'll never forgive them for not giving Ted Lyons help.

10 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

George Springer seems like the type of guy the Sox could heavily target while the big dogs compete over Betts. Kind of like how the Sox jumped the market on Grandal while everyone else was focused on Cole and Rendon.

sounds perfect to me.  I would be interested to see how much his (and all astros) stats drop this season.. 

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Lol this was exactly my point though. Everyone in the thread then proceeded to list all the things they are mad at the team for. If Sox don't spend at all this offseason, we would all be mad for decades... mad at the team, and Hahn, and Reinsdorf.

Considering that we continue to post rumors from people who were dead wrong on the Machado news, I think it is safe to say this tweet is not going to backfire on Not Steve.

Just random brain droppings here. If we're at December 1 and there's no vaccine yet/no obvious hope of one in the next few months, and  some of the big names like Springer, Semien, LeMahieu etc. are sitting there with qualifying offers - do a bunch of them just accept the QO to make sure they have a guaranteed contract for the next year and try again after the disease and labor issues are both dealt with?

28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Just random brain droppings here. If we're at December 1 and there's no vaccine yet/no obvious hope of one in the next few months, and  some of the big names like Springer, Semien, LeMahieu etc. are sitting there with qualifying offers - do a bunch of them just accept the QO to make sure they have a guaranteed contract for the next year and try again after the disease and labor issues are both dealt with?

To me, depending on what health data and situations look like, putting off FA a year seems like a pretty smart general idea.

35 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Why not take a multi-year deal with an opt-out after one year?  Even if the dollars aren’t crazy, it’s better than accepting a QO.

52 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why not take a multi-year deal with an opt-out after one year?  Even if the dollars aren’t crazy, it’s better than accepting a QO.

I'm thinking that if teams aren't sure there will be fans come December 1, they're not going to put any solid offers on the table early, so the only real chance at a multi-year deal might be to wait until the end of the offseason to hope that the virus situation improves, and if it doesn't - that's a situation where no multi-year deals might be available. Or at best, a multi-year deal with a much lower salary in 2021 than you'd want to accept. Someone will still pay for Betts, but the other guys, if teams are staring at a 50% revenue reduction in 2021 are they going to be committing $25 million a year multi year deals to these guys? What's better if you're say LeMahieu or Semien, signing a 2/$20 million deal with an opt-out after 1 year or taking the QO earlier in the offseason? 

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm not sure that's the best plan because the CBA expires in December 2021 and I'm not sure they'd make more that off-season than this off-season honestly 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Hopefully Hahn has learned at least the basics of the concept of "salary dump" .

But so  far,it's been ugly when Hahn wades  in these waters.

It's ok, he can just convince other teams that Carson Fulmer is the next Chris Sale and trade him in the salary dump.

On 7/7/2020 at 7:25 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Well, thank god SOMEONE’S in regular season mode by now!   

:fight