Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce

Heads22

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

To be honest this isn’t the worst thing in the world. The Sox will get another year of service time out of him and I don’t know how much of a factor he would’ve been this season anyway.

Just got to hope he eventually comes back or we are in big trouble.

It's easy to assume the worst with this kid given all the headlines he's had as he's come up as a young professional. I think this isn't necessarily a bad turn of events for the Sox. If the service time stipulations are correctly understood, we now have his rights for all of 2025 instead of for 60 games this year. If the team comes out 2-9 in the first 11 games, we'd much prefer this scenario than him pitching 40 innings for us this year.

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

I imagine we will soon find out this isn't about mental health or drugs or whatever everybody is fearing. Do some social media snooping and you can figure things out.

Lots of people on Twitter are saying his wife might be pregnant. So that would explain why he doesn’t want to risk it right now. 

3 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I imagine we will soon find out this isn't about mental health or drugs or whatever everybody is fearing. Do some social media snooping and you can figure things out.

Don't have social media but ima assume Joe is in the ballpark there with his assessment. 

Edited by SoxAce

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I think the bigger overall concern, aside from whatever is going on in his personal/private life....is he’s thrown 14 MLB innings since 2018. With 2020 a wash.....he’s going to have missed A LOT of development time. 

Kopech also has been known to be ultra-competitive, so hopefully that fire is still there and he can come back stronger than ever. But he’s got a fight ahead of him. 

Completely agree, and that’s why I think he’s now a bullpen pitcher. He could be a dominating closer, which would be fine. But no way would I pencil him in the rotation for 2021. Maybe they still will, but I’d be very surprised.

12 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Best wishes to Kopech. Doesn't this give the Sox the year of control back too?

The Sox shouldn't count on him at this point. You wish him the best because he is human and hope he produces, but he can't be relied upon. 

• knightni changed the title to Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic