Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce

Heads22

38 minutes ago, Richie said:

I have to think this is a legitimate personal issue. Right? Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense. 

fegan made a reference also to what his role would be....maybe service time or maybe bullpen (or both) were a factor in addition to other stuff.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

f**an made a reference also to what his role would be....maybe service time or maybe bullpen (or both) were a factor in addition to other stuff.

Thanks, yeah. I should have read the thread before posting a reaction/question. 

13 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Fans of Vanessa Morgan apparently think that they are getting a divorce. None of her social media posts recently have involved him.

Hope whatever it is he finds peace with it and this gives him enough time to clear his mind and come back next February.

Poor kid is a mess. I was very surprised he got married so soon after a breakup . It was like the girl he married was a rebound chick. You never marry a rebound chick. Now she's pregnant, maybe a divorce, his mental issues, coming back from major arm surgery, Covid and BLM weighing on his mind.

13 hours ago, ptatc said:

If this is true, I would really worry about him for the future. He's already had twice as much time as normal for rehab.

That's what I was thinking. He had already pitched an inning this spring and threw it 101 , 3 up 3 down. Maybe he was really sore after that and subsequent throwing sessions didn't go well.

13 hours ago, mqr said:

This thread is getting into some seriously weird territory. None of these guys opting out owe anyone shit

Really appreciate you being the conscience of Sox talk but this is what you do on a message board. Stuff happens to an important player and we speculate because there is nothing definitive . Sucks we all sound like a bunch of gossipy old hens but if we don't do it here we're going to do it with our friends so might as well do it here too.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kopech is a flake. He Dawgs reality TV babes. He needs a mentor with enforcement authority. We don't need him this year but he needs to clear out his head going forward. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

Bummed. But mostly because this means Sox have to win a world series this year with Cease as their #3 starter...

Honestly with the reports of rodon really being healthy this time...Kopech was gonna have to really scrape for a spot on the rotation. 

Is it safe to say:

Gio

Keuchel

Cease

Rodon

Gio

Lopez long man and is injury replacement? 

That rotation can still win the division with 35 wins

There's not a chance Lopez isn't in the rotation. After Keuchel, Gonzalez and Giolito he is the only one with at least a full year of starting under his belt and should be in the rotation. Why screw with him ? He still has plenty of upside as a starter. You can't judge him or put him in long relief just because he hasn't been an All-Star before he was 26 years old. Rodon coming off rehab no innings in ST, Cease inexperience, Gonzalez got nothing done is ST due to shoulder. It's going to be Giolito, Keuchel Cease Lopez and the 5th spot a toss up between Gonzalez and Rodon, with a slight edge to Gonzalez.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

13 hours ago, ptatc said:

If this is true, I would really worry about him for the future. He's already had twice as much time as normal for rehab.

With all do respect, this kind of doctor talk drives me insane. You're not kopech. You don't know how he feels. You also proclaiming if a guy isnt over an injury in less than 2 years then his career is over and he never will be the same drives me nuts. As if the timeline you set for a stranger in your head is the only way recovery is possible.

This is eerily reminiscent of the Derrick rose nonsense I read from "doctors." 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

9 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

From a fan's perspective, he's completely unreliable like Rodon at this point. Anything you get is gravy. 

I don't blame him at all for sitting out from an intellectual perspective. From a meathead fan perspective, he's unreliable. 

Don't ever stop over-exaggerating Jack

definitely a lot of armchair psychology going on for a guy making a sound decision in the name of health.  Would I like him to play?  Yes.  Am I mad? Absolutely not.   This is a completely unique situation and year, unlike anything we have seen in over 100 years.  

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

With all do respect, this kind of doctor talk drives me insane. You're not kopech. You don't know how he feels. You also proclaiming if a guy isnt over an injury in less than 2 years then his career is over and he never will be the same drives me nuts. As if the timeline you set for a stranger in your head is the only way recovery is possible.

This is eerily reminiscent of the Derrick rose nonsense I read from "doctors." 

That's fine but it doesnt change facts. If his elbow isn't ready after twice the normal time of rehab, there is a serious problem. Healing isn't an opinion.  It's a physical process. He very well may not be ready but if not it's a serious problem. 

I dont know what you are referring to about Rose but the only people that questions about it didnt know that he had two different type of surgeries on his knees. One takes months to rehab, the other only a few weeks. 

I will say Lopez is the real winner in all of this.  Giolito, Cease, & Keuchel are rotation locks.  I think Lopez would have no doubt started the season in the rotation but now has a lot more breathing room with one less threat to his spot.  Hopefully he takes advantage of this opportunity.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

That's fine but it doesnt change facts. If his elbow isn't ready after twice the normal time of rehab, there is a serious problem. Healing isn't an opinion.  It's a physical process. He very well may not be ready but if not it's a serious problem. 

I dont know what you are referring to about Rose but the only people that questions about it didnt know that he had two different type of surgeries on his knees. One takes months to rehab, the other only a few weeks. 

Has nothing to do with being ready physically; seems to be discomfort mentally with an unorthodox and unusual process/camp and season. 

If he doesn't feel comfortable yet, or with this season in particular, it's his career and he should do what he feels is best for it.

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Has nothing to do with being ready physically; seems to be discomfort mentally with an unorthodox and unusual process/camp and season. 

If he doesn't feel comfortable yet, or with this season in particular, it's his career and he should do what he feels is best for it.

I never said anything to the contrary. Of course he can and should do what he feels is best. My only point was if it's related to just the rehab of his elbow, its trouble. If it's because he doesn't like the role they wanted for him, that's another story.

I am not going to pass judgement on Kopech because like everyone else I have no idea what is happening to or with him. But from the very beginning, I have not liked the way he was handled. There was way too much hype and he was being touted as a savior before he threw one major league pitch. Regardless, I am not expecting much from him.

20 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Don't ever stop over-exaggerating Jack

definitely a lot of armchair psychology going on for a guy making a sound decision in the name of health.  Would I like him to play?  Yes.  Am I mad? Absolutely not.   This is a completely unique situation and year, unlike anything we have seen in over 100 years.  

I'm not even mad. I don't blame anyone for sitting out. Hell if you read my posts I don't even think they should be playing. That's the intellectual side. It's why I qualified it with the "meathead fan's perspective" 

I was speaking strictly as a meathead fan there and nothing else. It will have been 700+ days since Kopech last pitched the next time he takes the mound. Who says he's even able to contribute to the MLB club in 2021? He's had issues with command/walks in the past so.....

• Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I'm not even mad. I don't blame anyone for sitting out. Hell if you read my posts I don't even think they should be playing. That's the intellectual side. It's why I qualified it with the "meathead fan's perspective" 

I was speaking strictly as a meathead fan there and nothing else. It will have been 700+ days since Kopech last pitched the next time he takes the mound. Who says he's even able to contribute to the MLB club in 2021? He's had issues with command/walks in the past so.....

If he comes back and pitches next year, at 25 years old, everything is not "gravy".   Did he miss some early MLB years injured and developing?  Yes.  But he also still has 5 years in the prime of his life.  

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I never said anything to the contrary. Of course he can and should do what he feels is best. My only point was if it's related to just the rehab of his elbow, its trouble. If it's because he doesn't like the role they wanted for him, that's another story.

We are all just going around and around here. It could be one thing or a combination of things ranging from mental,  physical or personal ; They are all concerns as they should be in a season unlike any other we have ever witnessed. Throw in a young man fairly early in a marriage , social issues, career issues, health issues now it's some kind of retaliation against the Sox ? The poor kid just has way too much on his plate now to avoid it all to play baseball.

He might be making  very wise and mature choice when we look back on it.

• knightni changed the title to Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic