Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce

Heads22

Im actually happy he is doing this.   I actually wish Giolito, Lopez, and Cease would as well.   Pitchers only have so many years on their arms and why waste one on a season that likely will never be completed (and never regarded as legit by 95% of fans if it does finish).   This season never should happen and is only being started because of greed.   Props to you Michael for making the best decision for you and your family.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Incredibly insensitive. We have no idea what he is going through . You cannot judge a book by its cover. It could end up being the best decision for him when all is said and done.

Back in the day, men would be working 12 hour shifts if the coal mines. They'd be breathing in coal dust with a smidge of oxygen. 

The specimen who looks like Thor can't pitch for hundreds of thousands? 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Back in the day, men would be working 12 hour shifts if the coal mines. They'd be breathing in coal dust with a smidge of oxygen. 

Im sure you can find a country where you can go mine in unsafe conditions for pennies on the dollar.

So why arent you?

Kopech can do what he wants, its his life. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Couldn't that be said about a ton of prospects across the league for years? Trout? Look at Wander Franco right now.

For the Sox alone- Robert and Moncada, too. So what?

No, I don't think it can be said about other prospects. The hype over Kopech was over the top. The Sox were having another boring season, they had nothing to talk about and they gushed over Kopech. Not to mention I think they called him up too soon. Nothing was going on with the team as the rebuild was crawling on. This was handled wrong from the very start.

On 7/10/2020 at 5:30 PM, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Lots of people on Twitter are saying his wife might be pregnant. So that would explain why he doesn’t want to risk it right now. 

I have a feeling this may be the reason. 

1 hour ago, NWINFan said:

No, I don't think it can be said about other prospects. The hype over Kopech was over the top. The Sox were having another boring season, they had nothing to talk about and they gushed over Kopech. Not to mention I think they called him up too soon. Nothing was going on with the team as the rebuild was crawling on. This was handled wrong from the very start.

Kopech was 100% ready when they called him up in 2018.  Here’s his line for his final 11 starts at Charlotte:

64 IP, 2.25 ERA, 2.63 FIP, 12.4 K/9, 2.5 BB/9, 0.7 HR/9, .324 BABIP.

I watched a ton of those games and dude was simply dominant.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

He must be messed up or angry because the fans get the shaft with no explanation. We deserve at least a warmed-over dis translated by Gio or the Rick's. We've been following losing seasons since 2013 and all we have so far is a virus and an experimental season. I feel disrespected for my loyalty. Don't take me for granted. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pcq said:

He must be messed up or angry because the fans get the shaft with no explanation. We deserve at least a warmed-over dis translated by Gio or the Rick's. We've been following losing seasons since 2013 and all we have so far is a virus and an experimental season. I feel disrespected for my loyalty. Don't take me for granted. 

What in the fuck are you talking about?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, pcq said:

The reality of the brass of the Chicago White Sox organization failing to win (while actually trying and not rebuilding)between the years of 2007 and 2016, has nothing to do with Michael Kopech and some kind of "duty" or "obligation" he might have (he doesn't) to explain his personal life situation to millions of people...

I wish Kopech would have put this to bed by at least sharing what category his reasons were for sitting out this season. "Personal reasons" leaves too much to the imagination. and has created this unnecessary speculation.   He doesn't owe us a thing but I  hope he comes forward and makes some statement about this.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

As if one has anything to do with the other ?  Atrocities litter the pages of history , they still do in the present . Kopech is a young man at the pinnacle of his profession. If he chooses not to pitch in a season where you have the choice not too because your employer said it's ok who are you to say he doesn't have any balls ? He isn't a canary in a coalmine.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tray said:

I wish Kopech would have put this to bed by at least sharing what category his reasons were for sitting out this season. "Personal reasons" leaves too much to the imagination. and has created this unnecessary speculation.   He doesn't owe us a thing but I  hope he comes forward and makes some statement about this.

When you live in the world of fan adulation...some amount of reaching out to fans is smart.  I think players who don't interact with fans, signing autographs, etc....do not do themselves any favors.  Just because players don't "need" to interact with fans doesn't mean it is their best interest longterm.  IMO Kopech would be wise to make some sort of public comment to his fans.

44 minutes ago, poppysox said:

When you live in the world of fan adulation...some amount of reaching out to fans is smart.  I think players who don't interact with fans, signing autographs, etc....do not do themselves any favors.  Just because players don't "need" to interact with fans doesn't mean it is their best interest longterm.  IMO Kopech would be wise to make some sort of public comment to his fans.

I would imagine at some point he probably will let everyone know where he was at with this. But why now? Does everyone really need the instant gratification that his “excuse” was legit or not? Like he owes it to us to play? 

I am looking forward to games just like everyone here, but let’s not forget that we obviously don’t have the players best interests at heart wanting them to play. They are risking a lot.

Maybe he is taking care of family, maybe his wife is pregnant, maybe it is his anxiety issue, maybe he doesn’t feel comfortable leaving his house, maybe he would rather go fishing, Whatever the reason, and I agree with the notion he has always been overhyped, I am good with it. Hopefully he remains healthy, and can contribute in 2021.  And if he does, everyone who seemingly has a problem with his decision will forget they ever had that problem.

14 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Back in the day, some people worked 16 hours a day in 100 degree weather for free and got whipped if they spoke up or made a mistake. 

And you’re telling my these lazy coal miners, who get PAID to work, can only do 12 hours? 

• Like 1

Cooper’s comments were based on what Kopech has put out there publicly in the past, so I don’t think it’s that bad. But he would have been better off just saying, “we wish him well and hope he’s back next season. But for now, I have to worry about the 20-some pitchers we have here and get ready for the season.”

Edited by flavum

• knightni changed the title to Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic