Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce

Heads22

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

Following the board rules that you agree to when you sign up isn't "cancel culture", sorry bud.

Signed up in 2004, but besides the matter. 

Can we all agree that it is offensive and anti Semitic to call Jerry Reinsdorf cheap then? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SkokieSox said:

Can we all agree that it is offensive and anti Semitic to call Jerry Reinsdorf cheap then? 

Wow. Talk about taking it up a notch. Geez

Just now, SkokieSox said:

Where’s the line? 

You must really want to speculate about Kopech's wife. Trying to equate sports owner cheapness, a common topic on sports boards, to antisemitism in order to make your point seems a tad excessive, considering the original topic isn't even worth talking about to begin with. Kind of distasteful to just throw out antisemitism accusations over this horse shit issue, frankly.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

Where’s the line? 

That's a great question and it seems impossible to define in advance. Instead the owner has placed the decision in the lap of the mod team based on over a decade of experience making these decisions. 

We have missed the mark before and will probably make a mistake again. In this we felt it's a 24 year old kid going through a professional nightmare and speculation seems cruel. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vulture said:

You must really want to speculate about Kopech's wife. Trying to equate sports owner cheapness, a common topic on sports boards, to antisemitism in order to make your point seems a tad excessive, considering the original topic isn't even worth talking about to begin with. Kind of distasteful to just throw out antisemitism accusations over this horse shit issue, frankly.

Your opinion, but that’s what the forum is for, differing opinions. Shutting them down because of your sensitivity seems wrong to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

That's a great question and it seems impossible to define in advance. Instead the owner has placed the decision in the lap of the mod team based on over a decade of experience making these decisions. 

We have missed the mark before and will probably make a mistake again. In this we felt it's a 24 year old kid going through a professional nightmare and speculation seems cruel. 

I appreciate this explanation, thank you. I disagree but I’ll respect it. We’re in polar world right now, it hit a hot button to suggest Kopech is somehow off limits, regardless of the situation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

Good lord. Is the only exercise you get jumping to conclusions?  Or catching hurt feelings?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yes. We do observe minimal standards of common decency here. If that is too heavy of a lift please feel free to investigate other White Sox social media. 

Ironically, it seems the conversation was too heavy for the mods

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

Your opinion, but that’s what the forum is for, differing opinions. Shutting them down because of your sensitivity seems wrong to me. 

Actually it is for baseball, not for crapping on kids and their relationships. 

Well, you just accused probably tens of thousands of Sox fans of antisemitism just to make an entirely unrelated point. I'm all for open dialogue, but that seems like a jack ass move to me, particularly considering the topic at hand. Who gives a shit about anyone's baseless opinion on who someone may or may not have had sex with in the first place? 

Edited by Vulture
  • Like 3

Just now, Vulture said:

Well, you just accused probably tens of thousands of Sox fans of antisemitism just to make a point. I'm all for open dialogue, but that seems like a jack ass move to me, particularly considering the topic at hand. Who gives a shit about anyone's baseless opinion on who someone may or may not have had sex with in the first placd?

There it is. The need to get satisfaction at the expense of a stranger and his problems should be embarrassing. 

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

Well, you just accused probably tens of thousands of Sox fans of antisemitism just to make a point. I'm all for open dialogue, but that seems like a jack ass move to me, particularly considering the topic at hand. Who gives a shit about anyone's baseless opinion on who someone may or may not have had sex with in the first placd?

It was formulated as a question, never made an accusation. It matters to some because people want to understand Kopech’s decision that impacted the team. No one is saying it was the wrong decision, but shutting down the conversation as to the details potentially leading to the decision is shortsighted. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

Agreed!

Penny-pincher, miser, cheapskate, and money-grubber are still fair game though.

2 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

It was formulated as a question, never made an accusation. It matters to some because people want to understand Kopech’s decision that impacted the team. No one is saying it was the wrong decision, but shutting down the conversation as to the details potentially leading to the decision is shortsighted. 

You asked if we can all agree, that implies you already agree. Whatever, though, no big deal. Just saying, you didn't have to go there to make your point.

• Like 2

Just now, Vulture said:

You asked if we can all agree, that implies you already agree. Whatever, though, no big deal. Just saying, you didn't have to go there to make your point.

Fair enough, and we all could have continued discussing Kopech uninterrupted as well

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

You know, considering my relative was good friends with Reinsdorf due to their involvement AEPi, I feel like I can speak with authority on this.

No, it's not.

Now if people were saying he was being "miserly", "Jewy, etc., or used certain imagery, yeah, that's anti-Semitic. Saying he's cheap due to not wanting to spend big on free agents, draft picks, etc. is not. 

He has spent on the Sox in recent years (especially on amateur talent), so the mantra is weak and may be rooted in fan ignorance and lack of wanting to do research about spending habits (likely) or rooted in anti-Semitism (unlikely, because I'm gonna guess most fans don't know he's Jewish, because most people aren't that attentive).

So, don't use our people as a shield because we're not allowing you to speculate about the personal life about a young man during a difficult point in his life.

This where my piece ends on the matter.

• Like 3

This is ridiculous.  There is no reason to know any of the details of this to understand that it was a personal matter. The rest is just voyageurism.

• knightni changed the title to Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic