Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce

Heads22

4 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

It was formulated as a question, never made an accusation. It matters to some because people want to understand Kopech’s decision that impacted the team. No one is saying it was the wrong decision, but shutting down the conversation as to the details potentially leading to the decision is shortsighted. 

What would you or the board gain from knowing the intimate details of his personal matter that caused him to opt out though?  I mean, you may be a love guru that can mend their relationship and magically coax him to return for all I know...

In light of today, he is probably one of the smarter ones to not have opted in for this season which has seemingly no chance of actually happening in it's entirety.  What's the over/under now?  2 weeks?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

What would you or the board gain from knowing the intimate details of his personal matter that caused him to opt out though?  I mean, you may be a love guru that can mend their relationship and magically coax him to return for all I know...

In light of today, he is probably one of the smarter ones to not have opted in for this season which has seemingly no chance of actually happening in it's entirety.  What's the over/under now?  2 weeks?

I actually could careless about what happened to him or why he’s not pitching. I wish him well and hope he battles in the Sox rotation next year and years to come. I’m just tired of shutting down conversations because someone didn’t like it or got their feelings hurt. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

I actually could careless about what happened to him or why he’s not pitching. I wish him well and hope he battles in the Sox rotation next year and years to come. I’m just tired of shutting down conversations because someone didn’t like it or got their feelings hurt. 

Then quit your complaining,  get off Soxtalk and create your own message board. Go nuts. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps and quit expecting someone else to do it for you.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

I appreciate this explanation, thank you. I disagree but I’ll respect it. We’re in polar world right now, it hit a hot button to suggest Kopech is somehow off limits, regardless of the situation. 

Not regardless of the situation but I understand your point.

We've generally avoided speculation in the private lives of players through the years. It's telling that many of the mods have been doing this for over 15 years. We've gone through personal births and deaths, marriages and divorces, and it probably weighs on our decisions. We're not the young, brash, upstart board like we were at the turn of the century.

The fact that we have outlasted other Sox boards and remain relevant is something we all should be proud of. 

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Then quit your complaining,  get off Soxtalk and create your own message board. Go nuts. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps and quit expecting someone else to do it for you.

Nah, I like it here. Just want to protect free speech as it pertains to white sox baseball and the decisions of players that effect the team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, SkokieSox said:

Nah, I like it here. Just want to protect free speech as it pertains to white sox baseball and the decisions of players that effect the team. 

I didn't think you would be willing to do the work.

Also do some work on what freedom of speech actually is and where it applies. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Not regardless of the situation but I understand your point.

We've generally avoided speculation in the private lives of players through the years. It's telling that many of the mods have been doing this for over 15 years. We've gone through personal births and deaths, marriages and divorces, and it probably weighs on our decisions. We're not the young, brash, upstart board like we were at the turn of the century.

The fact that we have outlasted other Sox boards and remain relevant is something we all should be proud of. 

Hopefully you’re the head mod. Go Sox!

• knightni changed the title to Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce
3 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

Free speech isn't really free. ChiSoxFn writes a check each month to keep the lights on. Here's been doing that since he was a poor college kid. 

• Like 1

Just now, Texsox said:

Free speech isn't really free. ChiSoxFn writes a check each month to keep the lights on. Here's been doing that since he was a poor college kid. 

Soxtalk is in the red? There’s plenty of advertisements. Not a complaint, whatever keeps the lights on. It’s a great forum, I’m on a lot. Don’t always post, but I generally enjoy the community as a whole.

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Just to be clear, you still have your free speech rights. You can say whatever you want about Kopech, both here and anywhere else in life. 

But words have consequences, and you should be prepared to deal with those consequences based on what you say, both here and anywhere else in life. 

We agree on this 100%, accountability! Appreciate this

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Just to be clear, you still have your free speech rights. You can say whatever you want about Kopech, both here and anywhere else in life. 

But words have consequences, and you should be prepared to deal with those consequences based on what you say, both here and anywhere else in life. 

For the record though, I didn’t comment on Kopech. I was merely defending others in their pursuit to uncover the reasons Kopech decided not to pitch his season.

• Thanks 1

I read the Tribune article that  Kopech filed for divorce on June 19 in Texas.  The reasons are none of our business. 

It would be great if he could opt back in for this season. i read there was a rule that a player can't. but wouldn't there be an exception for certain circumstances like this/

8 minutes ago, tray said:

I read the Tribune article that  Kopech filed for divorce on June 19 in Texas.  The reasons are none of our business. 

It would be great if he could opt back in for this season. i read there was a rule that a player can't. but wouldn't there be an exception for certain circumstances like this/

Could only find this...

“Players who are not designated as high risk and who opt out for the health reasons of others, such as family members, will not automatically receive their pay and service time, although clubs have mechanisms available to award them both if they choose. Coaches, trainers and other non-player personnel may also opt out of participating this season. Whether they receive their pay will be determined on a club-by-club basis.”

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

There are basically only 3 reasons to do that:

1. Not your kid

2. She's fucking nuts

3. Both 1. and 2. 

So it's all on Vanessa?

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with him.  

The Red Sox knew something about this guy. You just give away that kind of talent. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GradMc said:

So it's all on Vanessa?

The Red Sox knew something about this guy. You just give away that kind of talent. 

They didn't just give him away. They got a potential Hall of Fame pitcher who helped them win a title. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, GradMc said:

So it's all on Vanessa?

Not necessarily. 

He could have issues too, idk. I was speculating given the fact that she's pregnant and he's the one filing. The reality is nobody knows. I'm sure it will come out one way or another in court. Usually divorces between public figures get details made public. 

Whatever it is, it's unfortunate for everyone. 

From my own personal experience, when a relationship fails neither party is blameless. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Could only find this...

“Players who are not designated as high risk and who opt out for the health reasons of others, such as family members, will not automatically receive their pay and service time, although clubs have mechanisms available to award them both if they choose. Coaches, trainers and other non-player personnel may also opt out of participating this season. Whether they receive their pay will be determined on a club-by-club basis.”

Are players under long term contracts who opt out still under control of the teams for the number of years of the contract or is another added?

For example if a players signed a contract for 5 years but opted out (not a high risk) are they under contract for 5 years or 6? I would assume its 6 as they are not getting service time but I'm not sure.

I know this doesn't apply to Kopech but I haven't seen an answer.