Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce

Heads22

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

Understood, and I don’t think anyone here said you did anything wrong with your comments. You believe in free speech and the ability to discuss any topic. That’s fine and we don’t disagree with that idea. But we’ve asked for a certain type of discussion to be taken off of Soxtalk out of respect for a player dealing with a personal issue. You can still choose to comment, but again, those comments will have consequences. 

We take the good with the bad in everything we do, just as it should be. It’s the standard for us all. 

41 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

The scary thing is if you listen to his spring training interviews he talked about deep depression ans how Vanessa helped him overcome it. I really hope hes doing ok

My number one thought and concern in this; because becoming comfortable to open up about your issues is not easy for anyone. He appeared to find comfort in her partnership and become more comfortable with who he was and his personal demons/struggles. It sucks to lose that anchor regardless of the reason or duration of that attachment.

I hope he's OK.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

He's 24, an adult.  Not sure what  his parents have to do with this. 

Dude I'm 36 so young enough to remember -- at 24 I was an "adult" but I was still a child in many ways, including life experience wise.  He rushed into a marriage after a bad breakup, if I was his father I'd be remiss not to at least try and get his ear a bit. 

He already threw away the mom of his kid, his parents should say something before he throws away his career.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, GradMc said:

So it's all on Vanessa?

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with him.  

The Red Sox knew something about this guy. You just give away that kind of talent. 

They didn't give him away. They got a Cy Young pitcher. 

10 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

A strong support system can help him get through this. Parents aren't thinking of him as a rich celebrity athlete. Old friends and relatives could also be helpful. It's a different perspective than team mates and new relationships. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Dude you are never too old to look to your parents for some support or words of wisdom when you need it. 

Anyways, I know it’s human nature to want to know all the details, but it’s none of our business. I just hope he’s ok. 

• Like 2

I disagree with probably everyone here on everything except White Sox fandom. Oh, and I agree that this is a private platform so free speech is not guaranteed. The mods can enforce whatever they want and if we don't like it we can go somewhere else.

Luckily none of them do that, though. This is and has been the absolute best place to discuss White Sox baseball, and I've been coming here since 2001? 2002? I don't even remember the exact year or even my original account name.

What I do know is I'd be happy to chip in a few bucks to help keep the lights on. Ever think about a Patreon or other donation site?

Also, man... I sure hope Kopech and Vanessa are doing ok. I can't imagine what this is like for them.

Edited by almagest

1 hour ago, GradMc said:

So it's all on Vanessa?

The Red Sox knew something about this guy. You just give away that kind of talent. 

Kopech certainly has had make up issues before (like the wall punching incident) but we don't know what happend here. 

Not sure whether a Hollywood star is the right person to be around for him because that gets you to a lot of parties, drugs and idiots.

Andre agassi had that too dating Hollywood stars and doing all kind of stupid stuff until he got steffi graf who set him straight.

I think he needs something like this too. Steffi was really ideal for Agassi in that regard as she was rich enough to not chase his money but down to earth and "no nonsense" enough to set him straight instead of bringing in her own drama like the previous stars he has dated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Are players under long term contracts who opt out still under control of the teams for the number of years of the contract or is another added?

For example if a players signed a contract for 5 years but opted out (not a high risk) are they under contract for 5 years or 6? I would assume its 6 as they are not getting service time but I'm not sure.

I know this doesn't apply to Kopech but I haven't seen an answer.

Same number of years. If Yasmani Grandal would have opted out this year, he wouldn't get paid for the season but his contract would take effect for next three years still. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Same number of years. If Yasmani Grandal would have opted out this year, he wouldn't get paid for the season but his contract would take effect for next three years still. 

Really. so no service time but a year gone on the contract, interesting. Thanks for the info.

Edited by ptatc

34 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Kopech certainly has had make up issues before (like the wall punching incident) but we don't know what happend here. 

Not sure whether a Hollywood star is the right person to be around for him because that gets you to a lot of parties, drugs and idiots.

Andre agassi had that too dating Hollywood stars and doing all kind of stupid stuff until he got steffi graf who set him straight.

I think he needs something like this too. Steffi was really ideal for Agassi in that regard as she was rich enough to not chase his money but down to earth and "no nonsense" enough to set him straight instead of bringing in her own drama like the previous stars he has dated.

This is what concerns me with kopech.  For a guy with anxiety and depression, surrounding yourself with the hollywood lifestyle cannot be good for him mentally.  Hope he gets through this, but i also do want to know the details, because on the surface, with those details absent, it paints him in a bad light.  

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, GradMc said:

So it's all on Vanessa?

Kopech was the third-most talented player involved in that trade, IMO

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I didn't think you would be willing to do the work.

Also do some work on what freedom of speech actually is and where it applies. 

Way to set a good example.

• Like 1

I’ve been elated with Kopech’s talent prospect since we got him... and equally as concerned about his emotional maturity for the same duration.

Best we can hope for relating to baseball is that this helps him grow in maturity... best we can hope for for him personally is reconciliation.

Not sure about Texas family law (where he filed for divorce) , but generally, unless Kopech had a bullet proof prenuptial agreement, it would not make any sense to sign a big contract with the White Sox, where the income from that might be considered as marital property.  Until the child is born,  child custody and child support could not be determined or agreed upon. For these and other legal reasons I believe Kopech  was well served by his father (I think I heard he was an an attorney) and his Divorce lawyer who likely advised him to resolve the Divorce, custody, alimony, and child support issues before proceeding with his career. 

If this was only about baseball or even covid-19,  Kopech would be here. I am sure he will be here next season, and he will be wiser and stronger, just like any of us become after we have to come back from the mistakes we all make in life.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tray said:

Not sure about Texas family law (where he filed for divorce) , but generally, unless Kopech had a bullet proof prenuptial agreement, it would not make any sense to sign a big contract with the White Sox, where the income from that might be considered as marital property.  Until the child is born,  child custody and child support could not be determined or agreed upon. For these and other legal reasons I believe Kopech  was well served by his father (I think I heard he was an an attorney) and his Divorce lawyer who likely advised him to resolve the Divorce, custody, alimony, and child support issues before proceeding with his career. 

If this was only about baseball or even covid-19,  Kopech would be here. I am sure he will be here next season, and he will be wiser and stronger, just like any of us become after we have to come back from the mistakes we all make in life.

He is only in his second year in the league. He was not getting any kind of jump in pay for at least 2 more years. Income would have very little effect on anything. 

• Like 1