Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce

Heads22

tenor.gif?itemid=3519372

Looks like Kopech dodged a bullet. Had this happen to a relative recently (not the pregnant part but everything else) took him a while to get over but I kept telling him he could have done better before he was married. He put 15 years in Kopech put in 6 months.

Edited by wrathofhahn
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

He is only in his second year in the league. He was not getting any kind of jump in pay for at least 2 more years. Income would have very little effect on anything. 

But it could have been had he signed an extension. Right now vanessa probably makes more than he does but if he had signed a 60m extension that would have been different.

1 hour ago, pcq said:

I don't see baseball in Michael's near future including next year. The team will support him through this and hope he can turn the page one day. 

No player can afford to sit out essentially 3 1/2 seasons...well, I guess there was that former #1 pick (Bush?) who went to prison and Josh Hamilton.

40 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

No player can afford to sit out essentially 3 1/2 seasons...well, I guess there was that former #1 pick (Bush?) who went to prison and Josh Hamilton.

Hope I am wrong but I don't see baseball in his plans right now. Filing divorce with a baby due in January will make things very messy for the upcoming months. He was getting paid something before he opted out. Right now he needs a support system and his family to keep on and get by.  He also will need ongoing support from his baseball family. It would not surprise me if JR helps him out as well.

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3519372

Looks like Kopech dodged a bullet. Had this happen to a relative recently (not the pregnant part but everything else) took him a while to get over but I kept telling him he could have done better before he was married. He put 15 years in Kopech put in 6 months.

Um excuse me, you aren't allowed to speculate on a complete strangers life. Its offensive. Cant you read?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Kopech needs to get his head on straight.  It's not easy at 24.  I have to wonder where his parents are in all this.

I've always gotten a bit of a Todd Marinovich vibe when I've seen reports about Kopech and his family. Hopefully I'm wrong and his family is a good resource for him right now.

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

He is only in his second year in the league. He was not getting any kind of jump in pay for at least 2 more years. Income would have very little effect on anything. 

I have some experience practicing law in IL, but Texas has some similar laws that pertain, i.e.,  future earnings potential is taken into account in Divorce proceedings.

If Kopech had pitched this season and established himself as a front line starter or reliever, that would greatly impact the Divorce case.

27 minutes ago, tray said:

I have some experience practicing law in IL, but Texas has some similar laws that pertain, i.e.,  future earnings potential is taken into account in Divorce proceedings.

If Kopech had pitched this season and established himself as a front line starter or reliever, that would greatly impact the Divorce case.

Interesting. I always thought it was current earnings. I know people that have taken their ex-spouses to court when the other got raises and also when he lost his job and went to court to get it lowered.

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

And as his financial situation changes child support can be adjusted. 

11 hours ago, hi8is said:

I do know that it is an at fault state, unlike places like here in California.

It is also a no fault state as long as there are irreconcilable differences or living apart for two years. We're surprisingly liberal in getting into and out of marriages. 

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

And as his financial situation changes child support can be adjusted. 

I get that. But since he isn't due for a significant raise for a couple of years, I didn't see how that would change it. If he comes back next year he is on the same path. However, if future earnings potential takes effect at the time of the divorce, it could make a big difference if he pitches.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I get that. But since he isn't due for a significant raise for a couple of years, I didn't see how that would change it. If he comes back next year he is on the same path. However, if future earnings potential takes effect at the time of the divorce, it could make a big difference if he pitches.

I really do not believe he is making career decisions based on trying to limit the amount of child support he would have to pay. If he is, then he's a class A ass in my opinion for wanting to cheat his child out of any support and risking his career. Support your kid to the best of your ability anything less is wrong. It's not like he'll be eating ramen six nights a week no matter when he starts playing again.