Heads22

Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce

3 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

Nah, I like it here. Just want to protect free speech as it pertains to white sox baseball and the decisions of players that effect the team. 

Free speech isn't really free. ChiSoxFn writes a check each month to keep the lights on. Here's been doing that since he was a poor college kid. 

• Like 1

Private message boards in "international waters" do not have to allow free speech.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Texsox said:

Free speech isn't really free. ChiSoxFn writes a check each month to keep the lights on. Here's been doing that since he was a poor college kid. 

Soxtalk is in the red? There’s plenty of advertisements. Not a complaint, whatever keeps the lights on. It’s a great forum, I’m on a lot. Don’t always post, but I generally enjoy the community as a whole.

The scary thing is if you listen to his spring training interviews he talked about deep depression ans how Vanessa helped him overcome it. I really hope hes doing ok

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

Nah, I like it here. Just want to protect free speech as it pertains to white sox baseball and the decisions of players that effect the team. 

Just to be clear, you still have your free speech rights. You can say whatever you want about Kopech, both here and anywhere else in life. 

But words have consequences, and you should be prepared to deal with those consequences based on what you say, both here and anywhere else in life. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Just to be clear, you still have your free speech rights. You can say whatever you want about Kopech, both here and anywhere else in life. 

But words have consequences, and you should be prepared to deal with those consequences based on what you say, both here and anywhere else in life. 

We agree on this 100%, accountability! Appreciate this

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

For the record though, I didn’t comment on Kopech. I was merely defending others in their pursuit to uncover the reasons Kopech decided not to pitch his season.

• Thanks 1

I read the Tribune article that  Kopech filed for divorce on June 19 in Texas.  The reasons are none of our business. 

It would be great if he could opt back in for this season. i read there was a rule that a player can't. but wouldn't there be an exception for certain circumstances like this/

8 minutes ago, tray said:

I read the Tribune article that  Kopech filed for divorce on June 19 in Texas.  The reasons are none of our business. 

It would be great if he could opt back in for this season. i read there was a rule that a player can't. but wouldn't there be an exception for certain circumstances like this/

Could only find this...

“Players who are not designated as high risk and who opt out for the health reasons of others, such as family members, will not automatically receive their pay and service time, although clubs have mechanisms available to award them both if they choose. Coaches, trainers and other non-player personnel may also opt out of participating this season. Whether they receive their pay will be determined on a club-by-club basis.”

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

There are basically only 3 reasons to do that:

1. Not your kid

2. She's fucking nuts

3. Both 1. and 2. 

So it's all on Vanessa?

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with him.  

The Red Sox knew something about this guy. You just give away that kind of talent. 

• Thanks 1

Hopefully he finds his way through this. It's got to be a difficult time as anyone who had lived through a divorce will understand.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GradMc said:

So it's all on Vanessa?

The Red Sox knew something about this guy. You just give away that kind of talent. 

They didn't just give him away. They got a potential Hall of Fame pitcher who helped them win a title. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, GradMc said:

So it's all on Vanessa?

Not necessarily. 

He could have issues too, idk. I was speculating given the fact that she's pregnant and he's the one filing. The reality is nobody knows. I'm sure it will come out one way or another in court. Usually divorces between public figures get details made public. 

Whatever it is, it's unfortunate for everyone. 

From my own personal experience, when a relationship fails neither party is blameless. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

18 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

For the record though, I didn’t comment on Kopech. I was merely defending others in their pursuit to uncover the reasons Kopech decided not to pitch his season.

Understood, and I don’t think anyone here said you did anything wrong with your comments. You believe in free speech and the ability to discuss any topic. That’s fine and we don’t disagree with that idea. But we’ve asked for a certain type of discussion to be taken off of Soxtalk out of respect for a player dealing with a personal issue. You can still choose to comment, but again, those comments will have consequences. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Could only find this...

“Players who are not designated as high risk and who opt out for the health reasons of others, such as family members, will not automatically receive their pay and service time, although clubs have mechanisms available to award them both if they choose. Coaches, trainers and other non-player personnel may also opt out of participating this season. Whether they receive their pay will be determined on a club-by-club basis.”

Are players under long term contracts who opt out still under control of the teams for the number of years of the contract or is another added?

For example if a players signed a contract for 5 years but opted out (not a high risk) are they under contract for 5 years or 6? I would assume its 6 as they are not getting service time but I'm not sure.

I know this doesn't apply to Kopech but I haven't seen an answer.

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

Understood, and I don’t think anyone here said you did anything wrong with your comments. You believe in free speech and the ability to discuss any topic. That’s fine and we don’t disagree with that idea. But we’ve asked for a certain type of discussion to be taken off of Soxtalk out of respect for a player dealing with a personal issue. You can still choose to comment, but again, those comments will have consequences. 

We take the good with the bad in everything we do, just as it should be. It’s the standard for us all. 

41 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

The scary thing is if you listen to his spring training interviews he talked about deep depression ans how Vanessa helped him overcome it. I really hope hes doing ok

My number one thought and concern in this; because becoming comfortable to open up about your issues is not easy for anyone. He appeared to find comfort in her partnership and become more comfortable with who he was and his personal demons/struggles. It sucks to lose that anchor regardless of the reason or duration of that attachment.

I hope he's OK.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Kopech needs to get his head on straight.  It's not easy at 24.  I have to wonder where his parents are in all this.

He's 24, an adult.  Not sure what  his parents have to do with this. 

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Dude I'm 36 so young enough to remember -- at 24 I was an "adult" but I was still a child in many ways, including life experience wise.  He rushed into a marriage after a bad breakup, if I was his father I'd be remiss not to at least try and get his ear a bit. 

He already threw away the mom of his kid, his parents should say something before he throws away his career.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, GradMc said:

So it's all on Vanessa?

They didn't give him away. They got a Cy Young pitcher. 

10 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

A strong support system can help him get through this. Parents aren't thinking of him as a rich celebrity athlete. Old friends and relatives could also be helpful. It's a different perspective than team mates and new relationships. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Dude you are never too old to look to your parents for some support or words of wisdom when you need it. 

Anyways, I know it’s human nature to want to know all the details, but it’s none of our business. I just hope he’s ok. 

• Like 2

I disagree with probably everyone here on everything except White Sox fandom. Oh, and I agree that this is a private platform so free speech is not guaranteed. The mods can enforce whatever they want and if we don't like it we can go somewhere else.

Luckily none of them do that, though. This is and has been the absolute best place to discuss White Sox baseball, and I've been coming here since 2001? 2002? I don't even remember the exact year or even my original account name.

What I do know is I'd be happy to chip in a few bucks to help keep the lights on. Ever think about a Patreon or other donation site?

Also, man... I sure hope Kopech and Vanessa are doing ok. I can't imagine what this is like for them.

Edited by almagest

1 hour ago, GradMc said:

So it's all on Vanessa?

Kopech certainly has had make up issues before (like the wall punching incident) but we don't know what happend here. 

Not sure whether a Hollywood star is the right person to be around for him because that gets you to a lot of parties, drugs and idiots.

Andre agassi had that too dating Hollywood stars and doing all kind of stupid stuff until he got steffi graf who set him straight.

I think he needs something like this too. Steffi was really ideal for Agassi in that regard as she was rich enough to not chase his money but down to earth and "no nonsense" enough to set him straight instead of bringing in her own drama like the previous stars he has dated.

• Like 2