Heads22

Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Are players under long term contracts who opt out still under control of the teams for the number of years of the contract or is another added?

For example if a players signed a contract for 5 years but opted out (not a high risk) are they under contract for 5 years or 6? I would assume its 6 as they are not getting service time but I'm not sure.

I know this doesn't apply to Kopech but I haven't seen an answer.

Same number of years. If Yasmani Grandal would have opted out this year, he wouldn't get paid for the season but his contract would take effect for next three years still. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Same number of years. If Yasmani Grandal would have opted out this year, he wouldn't get paid for the season but his contract would take effect for next three years still. 

Really. so no service time but a year gone on the contract, interesting. Thanks for the info.

Edited by ptatc

34 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Kopech certainly has had make up issues before (like the wall punching incident) but we don't know what happend here. 

Not sure whether a Hollywood star is the right person to be around for him because that gets you to a lot of parties, drugs and idiots.

Andre agassi had that too dating Hollywood stars and doing all kind of stupid stuff until he got steffi graf who set him straight.

I think he needs something like this too. Steffi was really ideal for Agassi in that regard as she was rich enough to not chase his money but down to earth and "no nonsense" enough to set him straight instead of bringing in her own drama like the previous stars he has dated.

This is what concerns me with kopech.  For a guy with anxiety and depression, surrounding yourself with the hollywood lifestyle cannot be good for him mentally.  Hope he gets through this, but i also do want to know the details, because on the surface, with those details absent, it paints him in a bad light.  

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, GradMc said:

So it's all on Vanessa?

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with him.  

The Red Sox knew something about this guy. You just give away that kind of talent. 

Kopech was the third-most talented player involved in that trade, IMO

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I didn't think you would be willing to do the work.

Also do some work on what freedom of speech actually is and where it applies. 

Way to set a good example.

• Like 1

I’ve been elated with Kopech’s talent prospect since we got him... and equally as concerned about his emotional maturity for the same duration.

Best we can hope for relating to baseball is that this helps him grow in maturity... best we can hope for for him personally is reconciliation.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Kopech was the third-most talented player involved in that trade, IMO

Shame victor Diaz didn’t work out

• Like 1

Not sure about Texas family law (where he filed for divorce) , but generally, unless Kopech had a bullet proof prenuptial agreement, it would not make any sense to sign a big contract with the White Sox, where the income from that might be considered as marital property.  Until the child is born,  child custody and child support could not be determined or agreed upon. For these and other legal reasons I believe Kopech  was well served by his father (I think I heard he was an an attorney) and his Divorce lawyer who likely advised him to resolve the Divorce, custody, alimony, and child support issues before proceeding with his career. 

If this was only about baseball or even covid-19,  Kopech would be here. I am sure he will be here next season, and he will be wiser and stronger, just like any of us become after we have to come back from the mistakes we all make in life.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tray said:

Texas family law

I do know that it is an at fault state, unlike places like here in California.

And is Victor Diaz done? He seemed like he had potential with his triple didget fastball. Is he still in system? 

7 hours ago, tray said:

Not sure about Texas family law (where he filed for divorce) , but generally, unless Kopech had a bullet proof prenuptial agreement, it would not make any sense to sign a big contract with the White Sox, where the income from that might be considered as marital property.  Until the child is born,  child custody and child support could not be determined or agreed upon. For these and other legal reasons I believe Kopech  was well served by his father (I think I heard he was an an attorney) and his Divorce lawyer who likely advised him to resolve the Divorce, custody, alimony, and child support issues before proceeding with his career. 

If this was only about baseball or even covid-19,  Kopech would be here. I am sure he will be here next season, and he will be wiser and stronger, just like any of us become after we have to come back from the mistakes we all make in life.

He is only in his second year in the league. He was not getting any kind of jump in pay for at least 2 more years. Income would have very little effect on anything. 

• Like 1

I don't see baseball in Michael's near future including next year. The team will support him through this and hope he can turn the page one day. 

12 hours ago, GradMc said:

So it's all on Vanessa?

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with him.  

The Red Sox knew something about this guy. You just give away that kind of talent. 

They didn't give him away... They got this top 3 SP in the league.. i forget his name

tenor.gif?itemid=3519372

Looks like Kopech dodged a bullet. Had this happen to a relative recently (not the pregnant part but everything else) took him a while to get over but I kept telling him he could have done better before he was married. He put 15 years in Kopech put in 6 months.

Edited by wrathofhahn
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

He is only in his second year in the league. He was not getting any kind of jump in pay for at least 2 more years. Income would have very little effect on anything. 

But it could have been had he signed an extension. Right now vanessa probably makes more than he does but if he had signed a 60m extension that would have been different.

1 hour ago, pcq said:

I don't see baseball in Michael's near future including next year. The team will support him through this and hope he can turn the page one day. 

No player can afford to sit out essentially 3 1/2 seasons...well, I guess there was that former #1 pick (Bush?) who went to prison and Josh Hamilton.

40 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

No player can afford to sit out essentially 3 1/2 seasons...well, I guess there was that former #1 pick (Bush?) who went to prison and Josh Hamilton.

Hope I am wrong but I don't see baseball in his plans right now. Filing divorce with a baby due in January will make things very messy for the upcoming months. He was getting paid something before he opted out. Right now he needs a support system and his family to keep on and get by.  He also will need ongoing support from his baseball family. It would not surprise me if JR helps him out as well.

It very well may end up that the number of innings Kopech misses by opting out is 0.

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3519372

Looks like Kopech dodged a bullet. Had this happen to a relative recently (not the pregnant part but everything else) took him a while to get over but I kept telling him he could have done better before he was married. He put 15 years in Kopech put in 6 months.

Um excuse me, you aren't allowed to speculate on a complete strangers life. Its offensive. Cant you read?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Kopech needs to get his head on straight.  It's not easy at 24.  I have to wonder where his parents are in all this.

I've always gotten a bit of a Todd Marinovich vibe when I've seen reports about Kopech and his family. Hopefully I'm wrong and his family is a good resource for him right now.

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

I have some experience practicing law in IL, but Texas has some similar laws that pertain, i.e.,  future earnings potential is taken into account in Divorce proceedings.

If Kopech had pitched this season and established himself as a front line starter or reliever, that would greatly impact the Divorce case.

27 minutes ago, tray said:

I have some experience practicing law in IL, but Texas has some similar laws that pertain, i.e.,  future earnings potential is taken into account in Divorce proceedings.

If Kopech had pitched this season and established himself as a front line starter or reliever, that would greatly impact the Divorce case.

Interesting. I always thought it was current earnings. I know people that have taken their ex-spouses to court when the other got raises and also when he lost his job and went to court to get it lowered.