Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce

Heads22

10 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I imagine we will soon find out this isn't about mental health or drugs or whatever everybody is fearing. Do some social media snooping and you can figure things out.

If its true he and his wife are expecting... I can relate. I have a borderline nervous breakdown if I have to go to the gas station. Stuffed in a locker room with 59 other sweaty guys seems frightening amidst a pandemic. 

33 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Fans of Vanessa Morgan apparently think that they are getting a divorce. None of her social media posts recently have involved him.

Hope whatever it is he finds peace with it and this gives him enough time to clear his mind and come back next February.

Her posts in general don't include him at all, so I wouldn't put much into it

Edited by YoYoIsMyHero
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

Eh, it would really hurt but I don’t think it would be a death sentence. I also don’t want to get into a huge debate about if Kopech does/doesn’t come back because we just don’t have enough info to go on, and I don’t want to speculate on someone’s personal life. 

Having said that...Been thinking about this topic the last few days. Doesn’t make me feel any better, but when you think about the rebuild and the assets they acquired....you knew a few of them weren’t going to pan out. That core of Eloy-Moncada-Giolito-Kopech-Robert-Madrigal-Vaughn-Lopez-Kelly-Crochet......like 3-4 of those guys aren’t going to hit, just aren’t.  Not saying Kopech has fallen into that group, far too early for that...but we knew going in a few of the “blue chip” prospects weren’t going to hit. 

I’m not saying it’s a death sentence, but it puts a tremendous amount of pressure on Cease (or Lopez) to develop into a TOR starter and for Lucas to maintain his 2019 production level.  I just don’t see us ever spending more than we offered to Wheeler and that’s going to make buying a TOR starter challenging.  We really need to develop our top end starters internally and Kopech is without question our best chance at after Giolito.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not saying it’s a death sentence, but it puts a tremendous amount of pressure on Cease (or Lopez) to develop into a TOR starter and for Lucas to maintain his 2019 production level.  I just don’t see us ever spending more than we offered to Wheeler and that’s going to make buying a TOR starter challenging.  We really need to develop our top end starters internally and Kopech is without question our best chance at after Giolito.

JMO, but it also seems like going after someone like Mookie is out of the question now. Not that it was very realistic before, but I always thought there was an outside chance IF Giolito, Cease, and Kopech all were good in 2020. Without that certainty in the rotation, there's even less of a chance of making a splurge on Mookie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, raBBit said:

It's easy to assume the worst with this kid given all the headlines he's had as he's come up as a young professional. I think this isn't necessarily a bad turn of events for the Sox. If the service time stipulations are correctly understood, we now have his rights for all of 2025 instead of for 60 games this year. If the team comes out 2-9 in the first 11 games, we'd much prefer this scenario than him pitching 40 innings for us this year.

There is definitely a silver lining potentially, but it’s also another year off without building up innings or developing his changeup.  Both of which may limit his impact in a hopefully competitive 2021 season.

18 minutes ago, Tony said:

I think the bigger overall concern, aside from whatever is going on in his personal/private life....is he’s thrown 14 MLB innings since 2018. With 2020 a wash.....he’s going to have missed A LOT of development time. 

Kopech also has been known to be ultra-competitive, so hopefully that fire is still there and he can come back stronger than ever. But he’s got a fight ahead of him. 

100% agree with this.  It’s definitely nice to get the extra year of service time, but it likely delays his development time which could us next year.

Hope everything is fine with Kopech and he comes back strong.

But since he is missing the whole season, I am not looking forward to a whole offseason of repeating again the arguments on if we should/shouldn't sit Kopech for the first 3 weeks of 2021. 

Don't think this is that big of a deal at all; assuming Kopech stays on a regiment. He misses, what, maybe 8 starts? Maybe 40 innings? That's not huge development time lost. Not being with the team isn't ideal but I don't think he's missing as much as people think.

He's not going to stop throwing and pitching. He'll control the remainder of his recovery and build up as he deems best.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, aeichhor said:

This is another point.

This isn't ideal conditions for a guy who was hurt. 20 days to get ready is nothing compared to a normal camp, and he had already begun to rev it up earlier. Now he can control his rehab pace and assure he comes back as healthy as he believes is possible

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is another point.

This isn't ideal conditions for a guy who was hurt. 20 days to get ready is nothing compared to a normal camp, and he had already begun to rev it up earlier. Now he can control his rehab pace and assure he comes back as healthy as he believes is possible

I tend to believe that it's a combo of this and that his wife is expecting. Makes sense. 

Some people that follow his wife on IG say she's been posting about pregnancy stuff so maybe when they take both factors into account, he's staying home this year. I don't blame anyone for doing so, but it takes a ton of balls to do it with 16 MLB innings under your belt. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

I’m calling this a convenient excuse. Look, he doesn’t want to be there, for whatever reason. Hope he’s fine or will be fine by February, but the rehab angle, I’m calling bullshit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is another point.

Hes had twice as much as a normal rehab. This should have nothing to do with it. He threw innings last October.

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

I’m calling this a convenient excuse. Look, he doesn’t want to be there, for whatever reason. Hope he’s fine or will be fine by February, but the rehab angle, I’m calling bullshit.

Great post

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I tend to believe that it's a combo of this and that his wife is expecting. Makes sense. 

Some people that follow his wife on IG say she's been posting about pregnancy stuff so maybe when they take both factors into account, he's staying home this year. I don't blame anyone for doing so, but it takes a ton of balls to do it with 16 MLB innings under your belt. 

If the wife is pregnant, are we 100% sure he doesn’t get service time? I know some of the early proposals had guys accruing service time if wives had pre existing medical conditions. Does pregnancy count? Not sure if that was changed in final agreement.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

As when this all broke last week, I just hope we see him when 2021 comes around.

I mean maybe. But the White Sox I assume will prepare for him not to be there. At this point dont you have to question if he's even going to start more than 1 game for this team? 

1 minute ago, Baron said:

I mean maybe. But the White Sox I assume will prepare for him not to be there. At this point dont you have to question if he's even going to start more than 1 game for this team? 

Lol no. Why? Because he was recovering from surgery last year and is deciding not to play in the midst of a freakin pandemic?

Edited by Orlando

• knightni changed the title to Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic