Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce

Heads22

1 minute ago, mqr said:

He doesn’t owe anyone an explanation on why he doesn’t want to play. His teammates and boss maybe. Certainly not you or me. 

He said he’s not comfortable ramping up in a couple weeks, there’s zero reason not to leave it at that. 

He doesn’t owe us an explanation, but we certainly have a right to wonder why he isn’t playing.  This is a White Sox message board filled with diehard fans, of course we are going to wonder what’s going on with a key member of our organization and how it might impact our future.  I really don’t get why you are thread policing over this.

• Like 7

The guys is not pitching, that is reason for concern , but opting out is fine to me no matter what his excuse is. Get him back next February, hopefully, ready to go. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are several injuries this year. I bet by the end of October, assuming he get everything in, and that is a huge assumption, there are going to be a lot of players that if they had to do it over, would have opted out.

i love that they are playing for selfish reasons. It will give me something to watch for 3 months. But when you think about it, even though they had to give it a go, it is borderline stupid. They are asking for a disaster. 

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

People again are losing there minds for nothing.

There's a good chance this season doesn't even finish - strong chance they don't even start it at all. People are worried about experience when no one is going to be getting a ton of experience this year as is.

Maybe it’s not the end of the world, but there is value in getting 60 innings of major league development and then having an offseason to work on stuff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

A lot of people, myself include have concerns about minor league players, and a lot of ML players losing a year of development time this season. As stated previously, Kopech has pitched 14 professional innings since 2018. It’s reason for concern. 

I agree, I just think kopech was already gonna be limited anyway and is young enough where this impact may not crush him as much.

5 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Eep.  Is it really a money thing?

He's making the league minimum.  That's about $550k.  For 60 games that pencils out to around $200k which is almost exactly what he owes the ownersfor the loan the players received back in March.  What incentive does he have to play for no money?  To be a good teammate?  That was never really his thing.  Sit out don't risk injury come back next year.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Bummed. But mostly because this means Sox have to win a world series this year with Cease as their #3 starter...

Honestly with the reports of rodon really being healthy this time...Kopech was gonna have to really scrape for a spot on the rotation. 

Is it safe to say:

Gio

Keuchel

Cease

Rodon

Gio

Lopez long man and is injury replacement? 

That rotation can still win the division with 35 wins

I see that list and maybe there was a conversation that didn't go well with Kopech in perhaps being informed of having to work out of the bullpen this season.  Maybe Kopech said, I'm good.  I'll stay home.    Knowing Ricky and the way he does things, who would he have told from those 6 to yield a spot for Kopech?    Easy answer for me is DFA Gio or send Lopez to the pen.  But no sure about Ricky. 

I could see the TJ thing. The Sox probably already told him he would be used in limited capacity this year. Didn't Hahn already signal that back in the winter or spring?

And for the Sox - does this open the door for them to further push him back next year. Leave him in the minors for a few months to grab yet another year. And now they have an excuse that he will not of pitched in 2 years or whatever.

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The guys is not pitching, that is reason for concern , but opting out is fine to me no matter what his excuse is. Get him back next February, hopefully, ready to go. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are several injuries this year. I bet by the end of October, assuming he get everything in, and that is a huge assumption, there are going to be a lot of players that if they had to do it over, would have opted out.

i love that they are playing for selfish reasons. It will give me something to watch for 3 months. But when you think about it, even though they had to give it a go, it is borderline stupid. They are asking for a disaster. 

They're not playing in a Nursing Home.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Based on what, throwing the hell out of a fastball in the minors? 

Cease and Lopez have pretty damn good fastballs.   MLB is a different game.   

All of these guys are still in the audition phase.  

Kopech had one of the best sliders in the minors and flashed a very promising change-up with the Sox before his injury.  His command also improved significantly after a rough start with Charlotte.  Honestly, I thought he was starting to put it all together before his elbow broke down.

21 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He's making the league minimum.  That's about $550k.  For 60 games that pencils out to around $200k which is almost exactly what he owes the ownersfor the loan the players received back in March.  What incentive does he have to play for no money?  To be a good teammate?  That was never really his thing.  Sit out don't risk injury come back next year.  

Just out of curiosity, would you go to work for no pay for the love of your co-workers?

Regardless, I'm not buying the financial angle only; mainly because the trade off is playing only 60 games to get a full year of service time, unless he felt the Sox were going to dick him and deny him that full year regardless in which case he should sit out and say f off.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

54 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I hope not. If he isn't feeling 100% after having twice the time for rehab as normal and throwing some innings last October, he is in serious trouble.

Seems plausible to me that he could feel fine physically but still be worried that he'll re-injure himself due to the strange run-up to this season. More of a concern based on just the facts of the situation than actually having a present physical problem. Of course, that's only speculation.

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Just out of curiosity, would you go to work for no pay for the love of your co-workers?

If I was a ditch digger: no

If I was a professional baseball player: yes

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Regardless, I'm not buying the financial angle only; mainly because the trade off is playing only 60 games to get a full year of service time, unless he felt the Sox were going to dick him and deny him that full year regardless in which case he should sit out and say f off.

You're on record for not buying it. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Seems like I’ve been here before, seems so familiar... seems like I’m slippin into a dream within a dream.

It’s the way you whisper.

That is some old school TOOL there. Not sure the song but definitely on Opiate. 

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

What should he do when they dick him around and deny him the full year of service next year?

I can totally understand the players anger there if they said he'd be taxi squad for awhile and I don't blame him if he chose to skip 2020 in retaliation. No one is entitled to anything. The team doesn't have to give up a strategic benefit and he doesn't have to give up retaliation which could harm the team in 2020. The team isn't entitled to avoiding that.

Ultimately the team has to weigh the service time benefit against any long term harm with the player. How good do u think he will be? If you project him as a star its a problem cause he will remember and sign elsewhere because many people will be rushing to pay him but if he's just ok then the benefit might outweigh the harm. Its a cold analysis but it is what it is.

As I said tho I have zero problem with the idea of the player retaliating. I would totally do that too. 

If this is what occurred (and I have no clue if it was or if it was something else) the Sox gambled and he called their bluff.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

Bad day, looking for a way home,
Looking for the great escape.

Gets in his car and drives away,
Far from all the things that we are.

Puts on a smile and breathes it in...
And breathes it out, he says,
Bye bye bye to all of the noise.

Oh, he says, bye bye bye to all of the noise.

16 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Godspeed, Michael Kopech.  May you continue to enjoy the complete and borderline cultish deference and goodwill you somehow managed to earn over your four mlb starts.

From a fan's perspective, he's completely unreliable like Rodon at this point. Anything you get is gravy. 

I don't blame him at all for sitting out from an intellectual perspective. From a meathead fan perspective, he's unreliable. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

• knightni changed the title to Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic