Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce

Heads22

14 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Kopech was 100% ready when they called him up in 2018.  Here’s his line for his final 11 starts at Charlotte:

64 IP, 2.25 ERA, 2.63 FIP, 12.4 K/9, 2.5 BB/9, 0.7 HR/9, .324 BABIP.

I watched a ton of those games and dude was simply dominant.

He didn't look dominant at the major league level. He was hitting batters, and that wasn't because he was throwing at them. His command was not there. Hitters glared at him because he threw so hard and didn't know where the ball was going. Stats at the minor league level are not always an indicator of readiness, especially with someone this young. 

The guy has a great arm, we all know that. But a major league pitcher has to have more than that. He stay may have a future. We will see.

1 hour ago, flavum said:

Cooper’s comments were based on what Kopech has put out there publicly in the past, so I don’t think it’s that bad. But he would have been better off just saying, “we wish him well and hope he’s back next season. But for now, I have to worry about the 20-some pitchers we have here and get ready for the season.”

I don’t see what’s wrong with Cooper’s comments because they reflect nothing that isn’t public and he simply expressed concern over his well-being.

• Like 2

It’s in everyone’s best interest for Kopech or someone from his camp to put out a statement. It’s unfair for others to have to comment on his behalf; and without anything official you allow someone like Cooper an opportunity to give his opinion and ignite the rumor mill. 

He can thank the fans and teammates for the concern, suggest he’s sitting out due to personal reasons (without having to fully divulge the info), and he’ll be ready for the 2021 season. Everyone’s happy, especially the meatheads, and we move on. Then he can seek whatever assistance he needs 

Edited by Flash Tizzle

23 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

He didn't look dominant at the major league level. He was hitting batters, and that wasn't because he was throwing at them. His command was not there. Hitters glared at him because he threw so hard and didn't know where the ball was going. Stats at the minor league level are not always an indicator of readiness, especially with someone this young. 

The guy has a great arm, we all know that. But a major league pitcher has to have more than that. He stay may have a future. We will see.

Kopech made four major league starts for a total of 14.1 innings.  A couple of his starts were disrupted by rain and one by injury.  He was also probably amped up a bit finally getting his shot, which isn’t unusual for a rookie pitcher.  I think you are drawing way too many conclusions from a small sample size.  Yes, he hit five batters (only two BBs though) and wasn’t on point with his command, but beyond the small sample size we don’t know when the injury started affecting him.  His velocity was never quite right, especially after his first 2 IP start.  The pitcher I saw in AAA prior to his call-up was straight up dominant and I think he would have gotten there eventually in the majors if healthy.

48 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

To be fair, his UCL was in the middle of being shredded.

i do agree he was overhyped, basically made to be a savior. At least to me he has seemed a bit more mature since his injury.

Edited by Dick Allen

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

I'm not sure Kopech will be much of a fan of Cooper's comments to the media. Does he really need to talk about his battles with depression and anxiety? This is the 2nd story from the top at espn.com now.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29450657/white-sox-pitching-coach-concerned-michael-kopech

Coop has said some dumb stuff in the past, but this didn’t cross any line IMO. Kopech has acknowledged these issues in the past, Coop just said he hope he is OK.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Coop has said some dumb stuff in the past, but this didn’t cross any line IMO. Kopech has acknowledged these issues in the past, Coop just said he hope he is OK.

From what I have read, I don't see any problems here, and I am not a big fan of Coop. In fact, I was all right with what Cooper said. I would like to know how he stepped in it.

17 hours ago, NWINFan said:

No, I don't think it can be said about other prospects. The hype over Kopech was over the top. The Sox were having another boring season, they had nothing to talk about and they gushed over Kopech. Not to mention I think they called him up too soon. Nothing was going on with the team as the rebuild was crawling on. This was handled wrong from the very start.

You don't think the hype for Robert or Moncada was at a different level than Kopech's? I guess there is no measurement of hype for proof, but I can assure you that Moncada's and especially Robert's were/are far greater

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Sounds like Coop is questioning the mental wellness excuse.  Hmmmm......

I got the complete opposite. Sounds like he knows something, but also knows he’s not supposed to say anything about the situation.

But regardless, he didn’t need to say what he did at all. Coop has been around a long time and should know not to give the media anything they can run with. This just added more public speculation and gossip that I’m sure Kopech really doesn’t need 

29 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

You don't think the hype for Robert or Moncada was at a different level than Kopech's? I guess there is no measurement of hype for proof, but I can assure you that Moncada's and especially Robert's were/are far greater

No kidding. There are multiple comments today on the radio calling Robert the best prospect people have ever seen live. Robert has has had much more hype.

47 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

If you remember the lead up to Kopech’s first start, there was more buzz for that than any Chris Sale start during his White Sox career. Kopech day was huge 4 times. Of course having little else to look forward to had something to do with it. But he was definitely considered a savior. 

9 minutes ago, Quin said:

Consistently declining results is the main reason.

Discussing a co-workers mental health with the media should also be off the table.

Coop needs to go the way of Herm. Get him the hell out. 

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Consistently declining results is the main reason.

Discussing a co-workers mental health with the media should also be off the table.

People might want Coop out of here, but it shouldn't be for his job as the pitching coach. He's still among the very best. 

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

Right....but the issue (at least in my opinion) is the choice of words used by Cooper. Read the quote: 

“I don’t know what’s going on with Michael, but I know he deals with some anxiety and depression.”

If you take the quote at face value, then Cooper doesn’t know what the issue with Kopech is right now. Could be depression, could be COVID, could be family issues, it could be an irrational fear of penguins. He said he doesn’t know. So if he doesn’t know....don’t bring up the depression and anxiety stuff. Don’t speculate on someone’s mental state. Kopech has so far made the choice not to speak publicly about his issues right now, and I think his pitching coach should respect that, the way the Front Office and his teammates have thus far. 

And you’re right, Kopech has brought up mental health in previous interviews, and I applaud him for that. But I think quotes like Coop’s can make people dealing with those issues afraid to come out and speak openly on them. Every time an issue comes up, we now have to go right to depression because Kopech spoke about it before. 

I should also say Cooper is sort of saying what we are all thinking. I get it, believe me. I guess the point is we are fans on a message board, he’s the guys pitching coach. Different standards need apply.  

I think you’re taking that quote a bit out of context.  Here’s the full quote: "I don't know what is going on with Michael, but I know he deals with some anxiety and depression, and my thought is, I sure hope he's OK”.  To me, that’s Cooper stating what we’re all thinking, that hopefully Kopech is ok given his past struggles with anxiety & depression.  I really don’t see the harm in the comment, but to each their own.

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

I don’t think I am. In fact, in sort of backs up my point. If Cooper wanted to do it the right way, it’s a very easy edit:

“I don’t know what is going on with Michael. My thought is, I sure hope he’s OK.” 

As a professional representing the organization, he didn’t need to state what we are all thinking in this case. If you don’t know, then don’t speculate. I don’t think that’s a crazy request for someone that is tasked with speaking to the media. 

Honestly, who gives a shit what Coop says? None of it really matters. Kopech isn't pitching this year. If he comes back next year, that's great. If not, we move on. Nothing Cooper says changes that. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Tony said:

I don’t think I am. In fact, in sort of backs up my point. If Cooper wanted to do it the right way, it’s a very easy edit:

“I don’t know what is going on with Michael. My thought is, I sure hope he’s OK.” 

As a professional representing the organization, he didn’t need to state what we are all thinking in this case. If you don’t know, then don’t speculate. I don’t think that’s a crazy request for someone that is tasked with speaking to the media. 

*I should also add that in the grand scheme of things I really don’t think it’s that big of a deal what he said, I don’t think Cooper was trying to be malicious at all, in fact I think he was sincere in what he said and I’m sure he is concerned about Kopech. I just think it was a mistake to bring up the mental health stuff in this setting, before anything has been mentioned about what the absence is for. I also agree with Flash that at some point, an explanation is needed. Not because we are owed that, but because without one....all we can do is speculate, and that helps no one

I agree with what you’re saying, but Cooper is an emotional guy and I do think his comment came from a good spot.  And definitely agree with that final point, as a simple comment would definitely stop much of the speculation.

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t see what’s wrong with Cooper’s comments because they reflect nothing that isn’t public and he simply expressed concern over his well-being.

This is how I took it as well. He obviously feels for the kid.  Things don't always translate to print, but he obviously is worried about him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

If you remember the lead up to Kopech’s first start, there was more buzz for that than any Chris Sale start during his White Sox career. Kopech day was huge 4 times. Of course having little else to look forward to had something to do with it. But he was definitely considered a savior. 

My argument isn't that there wasn't a lot of hype for Kopech or that he was touted as a savior. My argument is that 1) it happens to A LOT of guys, including Moncada, Jimenez and Robert and 2) it's not "unfair" to them. It's the nature of the sport. The majority of great prospects are called up either during a playoff push or in a season where nothing else is happening, both of which further heighten their arrival. If we're really blaming THAT on this situation, it seems a little lazy

• knightni changed the title to Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic