Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce

Heads22

6 hours ago, Soxfest said:

Coop to say that something is going on not baseball related. We may never see the real potential of Kopech on the mound.

It is definitely a risk but Greinke has managed a hall of fame career despite issues like that. Greinke of course is a different character than kopech (more the sheldon cooper type:)) but it is not impossible to manage stuff like that.

Can of course also go wrong  and ruin his career, every case is different.

14 minutes ago, Tony said:

Multiple sources indicate that both Kopech’s camp and the Sox organization said not to associate Kopech’s mental health with his decision to sit out the season.

Going forward, the White Sox will seek to avoid speculating on Kopech’s decision as an organization and multiple sources indicate that Cooper’s comments were addressed internally. Cooper declined further comment to The Athletic. The front office does not intend to comment on Kopech’s status beyond the statement Hahn issued on Friday, for the foreseeable future.

Full article: https://theathletic.com/1925101/2020/07/13/sources-meeting-between-michael-kopech-white-sox-laid-out-his-2020-concerns/?source=twittered

Are they insinuating that it was merely a business decision and are using covid and mental health as cover.  Shocking

From the article:

"According to multiple sources, the White Sox got a full presentation of Kopech’s concerns about playing in 2020 during a meeting in Chicago that included chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, general manager Rick Hahn and assistant general manager Jeremy Haber. On the same day of that meeting roughly two weeks ago, two sources indicate Kopech spoke over the phone with manager Rick Renteria for an hour. Kopech’s camp has been in regular contact with the Sox front office since.

Those parties involved have an understanding of the concerns that Kopech and his representatives presented, but will strive to respect his privacy until he personally decides to reveal his motivations. Sources close to Kopech indicate he was driven by a litany of concerns, not limited to a short ramp-up to action, an uncertain role, uncertainty over the fate of the 2020 season, caution in determining how and when to best return to action from Tommy John surgery, and despite not being medically deemed high-risk himself, concern over how playing amid the pandemic could threaten the health of those close to him."

24 minutes ago, flavum said:

If he’s back next year, it’s bullpen.

Giolito, Keuchel, Cease, Lopez, Dunning, Lambert, Stiever, Crochet, maybe Gonzalez again. We’ll get by.

Completely disagree. Kopech is still the highest ceiling starting pitcher in the org. He'll still only be 24 next year's opening day. He will be in the rotation.

28 minutes ago, flavum said:

If he’s back next year, it’s bullpen.

Giolito, Keuchel, Rodon, Cease, Lopez, Dunning, Lambert, Stiever, Crochet, maybe Gonzalez again. We’ll get by.

Not a chance. Hell, I'm willing to bet Lopez goes to the pen long before him if Lopez doesn't get his shit together this season..

13 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Not a chance. Hell, I'm willing to bet Lopez goes to the pen long before him if Lopez doesn't get his shit together this season..

Kopech would be 30-some months between starts. I certainly wouldn’t count on him showing up to Glendale in February ready to start 32 games. We’ll see.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Are they insinuating that it was merely a business decision and are using covid and mental health as cover.  Shocking

That seems to be the opposite of how that article reads.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

That seems to be the opposite of how that article reads.

I think the article is saying he hasn't had a comment and most people have assumed it's the mental health issues. However, it is not related to mental health issues and he basically didn't want to pitch out of the bullpen.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think the article is saying he hasn't had a comment and most people have assumed it's the mental health issues. However, it is not related to mental health issues and he basically didn't want to pitch out of the bullpen.

I took it as Kopech had a list of reasons, and the bullpen/MiLB thing was one of them.

I'll be honest that I'm surprised we haven't yet seen pitchers getting hurt — surely anyone who was following stay-at-home orders in March-April-May-June was not getting their arm ready for a season and is going to be at risk of heating up too quick. I'm sure that's something that was weighing on Kopech. Very unorthodox pre-season and then he's going to be in some weird situation where maybe he's pitching sim games to the taxi squad while they manipulate his service time. And after that, they might have him bouncing back and forth from bullpen to rotation depending on other players' performances, health, etc. If you're worried about this strange season costing you arm health and add on top of that concerns about COVID-19, it's not crazy to me that he might have seen it all as not worth it.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I took it as Kopech had a list of reasons, and the bullpen/MiLB thing was one of them.

He did but some of them are his own fault. If he really had issues of "ramping up too quickly" maybe he should have done what other pitchers havedone and worked out so he was ready to go 3 innings when this abbreviated spring training started.

1 minute ago, Jake said:

I'll be honest that I'm surprised we haven't yet seen pitchers getting hurt — surely anyone who was following stay-at-home orders in March-April-May-June was not getting their arm ready for a season and is going to be at risk of heating up too quick. I'm sure that's something that was weighing on Kopech. Very unorthodox pre-season and then he's going to be in some weird situation where maybe he's pitching sim games to the taxi squad while they manipulate his service time. And after that, they might have him bouncing back and forth from bullpen to rotation depending on other players' performances, health, etc. If you're worried about this strange season costing you arm health and add on top of that concerns about COVID-19, it's not crazy to me that he might have seen it all as not worth it.

You can do that on your own. The smart ones did. A bucket of balls and a net along with upping your therband exercises would do it. Plus they are only expecting 3-4 innings for starters to begin the season.

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You can do that on your own. The smart ones did. A bucket of balls and a net along with upping your therband exercises would do it. Plus they are only expecting 3-4 innings for starters to begin the season.

ptatc can fix em

guys I'm going to become a MLB player next year. I have a few weight bands in my basement and was thinking about heading down to Dicks to get a batting tee and bat. 

Excited to start journey of a MLB player. 

4 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

ptatc can fix em

guys I'm going to become a MLB player next year. I have a few weight bands in my basement and was thinking about heading down to Dicks to get a batting tee and bat. 

I’m only happy when it rains, I’m only happy when it’s cold outside.

3 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

ptatc can fix em

Provided you can already have the talent to throw 100 mph and have a devastating slider that would be a fine program to get your arm ready to throw 3 competitive innings without getting injured. 

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Provided you can already have the talent to throw 100 mph and have a devastating slider that would be a fine program to get your arm ready to throw 3 competitive innings without getting injured. 

Got the cure, it's for sure. I'm the one you're looking for. I'm the bad, make you glad... Medicine man

It's amazing how many people want to make a big deal out of this. It's going to ruin everything.....If you don't have a problem with someone opting out, you really shouldn't have a problem with anyone opting out. 

If the guy has anxiety, the lockdown could have done a number on him. Judging him by tweets or rumors will make you look like a fool. 

• Thanks 1

• knightni changed the title to Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic