Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce

Heads22

Just now, Orlando said:

Lol no. Why? Because he was recovering from surgery last year and is deciding not to play in the midst of a freakin pandemic?

You buy the surgery story? Because I don't. If it's for Covid cool. Let's not act like this guy has his head 100 percent in this thing either. We know for a fact he didn't at some point. 

I don't see how people can call this a good thing. Yes, you receive an extra year of control. But you were most likely going to get that extra year anyway. This is now two full years in which one of your most prized assets has gained zero experience. Next year, you're supposed to be competing to win the division. Everyone on here expected Kopech to be in the rotation from Opening Day onward. No one on here can count on that now. This is a bad thing. No way to spin it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Baron said:

You buy the surgery story? Because I don't. If it's for Covid cool. Let's not act like this guy has his head 100 percent in this thing either. We know for a fact he didn't at some point. 

I think it’s perfectly feasible to think that he doesn’t feel 100% ready to go and is not willing to risk a set back in his recovery for a 60 game season in the midst of a pandemic

3 minutes ago, Butter Parque said:

I don't see how people can call this a good thing. Yes, you receive an extra year of control. But you were most likely going to get that extra year anyway. This is now two full years in which one of your most prized assets has gained zero experience. Next year, you're supposed to be competing to win the division. Everyone on here expected Kopech to be in the rotation from Opening Day onward. No one on here can count on that now. This is a bad thing. No way to spin it. 

How were we going to get that year back?  Kopech was basically a lock to start the season with us once the season got shortened / delayed.

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I think it’s perfectly feasible to think that he doesn’t feel 100% ready to go and is not willing to risk a set back in his recovery for a 60 game season in the midst of a pandemic

I hope not. If he isn't feeling 100% after having twice the time for rehab as normal and throwing some innings last October, he is in serious trouble.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

If he's still recovering right now then we're in some trouble 

Surely the Sox will option him out to start 2021 so that he can see some live action at AAA. If they hold him out till late May the team should get 5 and 2/3rds years of control left, the way I understand it. 

4 minutes ago, Butter Parque said:

Technically - can't the Sox manipulate service time and get that same extra year (so we don't count this year plus you hold him out a month and get the other year back?).  Whether Sox want to do that or not is a whole nother story, but I would think you could pretty quickly justify the fact that he needs minor league time given how long it would be between live action.  

Just now, mqr said:

This thread is getting into some seriously weird territory. None of these guys opting out owe anyone shit

I think its fair to question why Michael Kopech has. Everyone else has come out with clear statements and have played regularly the past few years. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not saying it’s a death sentence, but it puts a tremendous amount of pressure on Cease (or Lopez) to develop into a TOR starter and for Lucas to maintain his 2019 production level.  I just don’t see us ever spending more than we offered to Wheeler and that’s going to make buying a TOR starter challenging.  We really need to develop our top end starters internally and Kopech is without question our best chance at after Giolito.

Kopech has a higher upside, but he was going to be in the same boat as Lopez an Cease in working his way to that "TOR"  status this season.    There are no guarantees from any of these guys. 

34 minutes ago, flavum said:

I’m calling this a convenient excuse. Look, he doesn’t want to be there, for whatever reason. Hope he’s fine or will be fine by February, but the rehab angle, I’m calling bullshit.

Exactly, why not rehab on the White Sox dime and accrue that valuable service time? 

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What?

He doesn’t owe anyone an explanation on why he doesn’t want to play. His teammates and boss maybe. Certainly not you or me. 

He said he’s not comfortable ramping up in a couple weeks, there’s zero reason not to leave it at that. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

People again are losing there minds for nothing.

There's a good chance this season doesn't even finish - strong chance they don't even start it at all. People are worried about experience when no one is going to be getting a ton of experience this year as is.

OK Miss Cleo 

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Kopech has a higher upside, but he was going to be in the same boat as Lopez an Cease in working his way to that "TOR"  status this season.    There are no guarantees from any of these guys. 

None of them are guarantees, but Kopech IMO has a better shot of being a TOR starter than Cease and a much better shot than Lopez.

Bummed. But mostly because this means Sox have to win a world series this year with Cease as their #3 starter...

Honestly with the reports of rodon really being healthy this time...Kopech was gonna have to really scrape for a spot on the rotation. 

Is it safe to say:

Gio

Keuchel

Cease

Rodon

Gio

Lopez long man and is injury replacement? 

That rotation can still win the division with 35 wins

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

None of them are guarantees, but Kopech IMO has a better shot of being a TOR starter than Cease and a much better shot than Lopez.

Based on what, throwing the hell out of a fastball in the minors? 

Cease and Lopez have pretty damn good fastballs.   MLB is a different game.   

All of these guys are still in the audition phase.  

Edited by HOFHurt35

17 minutes ago, mqr said:

This thread is getting into some seriously weird territory. None of these guys opting out owe anyone shit

No one is castigating Kopech. People are looking at it through the lens of a White Sox fan. That's probably what White Sox fans should do. As a White Sox fan, this is objectively a bad thing. This hurts the team this year and it increases the odds of Kopech of being able to contribute meaningfully next year. 

• Like 3

• knightni changed the title to Kopech sitting out 2020 - files for divorce
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic