Moncada, Ruiz placed on 10-day IL

Jack Parkman

13 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Why do you have to declare an IL during pre-season? 

Or is he out 10 days after the season starts? 

Good questions.  I can only assume that this enables them to bring 2 guys up from Taxi Squad.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Thoughts: Moncada will be fine but he's going to miss the first week. That sucks because they play the Twins and Indians that week. Those games are going to be tough without him. 

Such a long off season...I am drawing a blank who our backup 3rd basemen will be.  Surely not Burger?  Who do you have starting the season at the hot corner, Jack?

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

Such a long off season...I am drawing a blank who our backup 3rd basemen will be.  Surely not Burger?  Who do you have starting the season at the hot corner, Jack?

Probably Leury with Mendick at 2b

that would be if Moncada is not available,  and I think he will be if he was simply asymptomatic 

1 minute ago, wegner said:

I would have thought Cuthbert but he's not there either. They're fiddly fucked at 3B

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Probably Leury with Mendick at 2b

that would be if Moncada is not available,  and I think he will be if he was simply asymptomatic 

Thanks, Kyle.  I thought about Leury but was drawing a blank if he ever played over there.  Hopefully Moncada will be ready to go.

But just in case, Is there still time to get Alexei Ramirez in camp? :D

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Thoughts: Moncada will be fine but he's going to miss the first week. That sucks because they play the Twins and Indians that week. Those games are going to be tough without him. 

Why?

If he clears the protocol he should be back practicing around July 17th which should give him a week to get ready. He can do more drills and extra BP after practice to get back in the groove.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Definitely have to be.

Maybe, just seems the whole Moncada situation is strange. Back in May there was a story in the Sun-Times about his 1 years old daughter getting sick and being hospitalized with worries of it being Covid. Turns out it was just a cold,

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports-saturday/2020/5/16/21257977/despite-family-scare-white-sox-yoan-moncada-ok-to-play-in-safe-environment

Bunch of quotes from Moncada about being scared and the virus could be life threatening. Now combine that with how Moncada was hangng out in some seedy bar in Indiana recently and either his concerns about the virus were just BS and  he was acting pretty irresponsibly going to that bar or the bar story isn't true.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe, just seems the whole Moncada situation is strange. Back in May there was a story in the Sun-Times about his 1 years old daughter getting sick and being hospitalized with worries of it being Covid. Turns out it was just a cold,

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports-saturday/2020/5/16/21257977/despite-family-scare-white-sox-yoan-moncada-ok-to-play-in-safe-environment

Bunch of quotes from Moncada about being scared and the virus could be life threatening. Now combine that with how Moncada was hangng out in some seedy bar in Indiana recently and either his concerns about the virus were just BS and  he was acting pretty irresponsibly going to that bar or the bar story isn't true.

He's asymptomatic. He also tested positive prior to the supposed bar visit. He just needs to test negative twice at this point to return. That could take months though which is why a negative test is a weird threshold in regards to returning to play. 

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He's asymptomatic. He also tested positive prior to the supposed bar visit. He just needs to test negative twice at this point to return. That could take months though which is why a negative test is a weird threshold in regards to returning to play. 

I don't know about "months", but I do agree that the test results need to be very quick to be meaningful - one to two days, not a week or longer.

The infectious disease expert from Advocate was on 670 and he said testing negative isa poor threshold because they've had patients who have tested positive for months while no longer being contagious from the virus. He said that the threshold to return should be 10 days symptom free and 3 days fever free. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Why?

If he clears the protocol he should be back practicing around July 17th which should give him a week to get ready. He can do more drills and extra BP after practice to get back in the groove.

I thought he wouldn't have enough reps to be ready for live pitching.