16 added to Schaumburg squad

BamaDoc

I’ll admit that I am not the biggest Madrigal believer, so take it with a grain of salt, but I’m not convinced that they’re going to bring him up any time soon. The Sox are desperate for LH hitting and have been for at least 2 decades. Hence Delmonico hitting clean up. Now, you’re going to take a switch hitter out of the 9 hole and replace him with yet another RH hitter? Madrigal can’t be a lateral move in that situation. He has to be far superior to Leury to make up for further stacking the line up. And I am aware of the defensive upgrade, but seriously, if the position doesn’t need to hit, fricking Goins is probably the best defender on the team. I bet they wait until at least they see what they’re getting from Nomar.

30 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I’ll admit that I am not the biggest Madrigal believer, so take it with a grain of salt, but I’m not convinced that they’re going to bring him up any time soon. The Sox are desperate for LH hitting and have been for at least 2 decades. Hence Delmonico hitting clean up. Now, you’re going to take a switch hitter out of the 9 hole and replace him with yet another RH hitter? Madrigal can’t be a lateral move in that situation. He has to be far superior to Leury to make up for further stacking the line up. And I am aware of the defensive upgrade, but seriously, if the position doesn’t need to hit, fricking Goins is probably the best defender on the team. I bet they wait until at least they see what they’re getting from Nomar.

At least he won't be another strikeout waiting to happen. This pull and swing for the fences approach of most of their hitters is getting old. Hopefully, they look back at the week and adjust at least a little. 

I think Madrgals contact skills will negate the lefty-righty somewhat.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Thursday is the first day that Madrigal can be called up without costing the Sox a year of control. What are the odds they don't even pretend to hide their intentions and just call him up prior to Friday's game? Or will they wait until the Brewers series on Monday figuring they can get past the Royals without him just fine?

I think they should bring him up tomorrow without a doubt.  Nick fuckin' Madrigal isn't going a grievance.  Just assuming "they can get past the Royals just fine without him" would be really stupid.  

That being said, I wouldn't be shocked at all if they waited longer.  I was all for getting the extra year (it was the right call), but get his ass up here right now.  

On 7/30/2020 at 2:45 AM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Thursday is the first day that Madrigal can be called up without costing the Sox a year of control. What are the odds they don't even pretend to hide their intentions and just call him up prior to Friday's game? Or will they wait until the Brewers series on Monday figuring they can get past the Royals without him just fine?

Boom

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Fegan tweeted that Bryan Mitchell and Adalbert Mejia released.  

Kodi Medeiros, Danny Dipico and Zach Remillard added to Schaumburg. 

By my count, that means 56 total guys (28 on active roster, and 28 on 10 day IL or in Schaumburg). Did not include 45 day DL guys - guessing they don't count in the 60.   

A tidbit on Burger from a very in depth Fegan story about the Schamburg squad.  And yea, I'm sorta just posting it because I was once a DIII guy striking out against high 80s to a guy named James Deters.  He had a wicked curveball and if he hadn't had arm problems perhaps he'd have made it further than he did in pro ball.

Anyways, they got the low level, DIII college guys looking to keep a career going, and all sorts at the Carshield league he played in, including Burger, who I guess is looking OK.  I might have to eat crow on this one.

I feel like I can talk to Chris Getz about anything,” said Burger, who cleared his decision with him. “He understands everything that I’m going through.”

Now Burger is slimmed down, running the bases, working at full-bore at third base, letting it rip in batting practice and live at-bats. But between being 24 years old with no experience above Class A, and Yoán Moncada being signed through 2024, he understands there is not a red carpet rolled out for him. He mixed in at first base in few games at the CarShield Collegiate League, which is the logical step down on the defensive spectrum, but is willing to pick up an outfield glove too if asked.

“Hell yeah, I honestly feel better defensively now than I did prior to the draft almost just because of the quick-movement stuff I did with tennis and stuff,” said Burger, who regularly posted on Instagram about squaring off against his mother in tennis. “I feel like I could play almost anywhere they put me. Maybe not center field or shortstop. But I feel great.”

That would be helpful, but ultimately there’s an overriding reason Burger was taken 11th overall and why the White Sox weathered two years of injury struggles. It was not purely that he’s a beloved teammate and coachable player whose vigorous head-nodding to Wes Helms’ infield instruction notes was visible from the stands. It’s based in the idea that Burger has a special power bat, and that he was able to maintain it even during stretches of time where he could barely walk.

Burger says that his mechanics have remained stable throughout, but that batting practice while injured wasn’t perfect when he couldn’t push off his left leg (or achieve “dorsiflexion,” as he put it). His time in the CarShield League was about recovering a bit of the timing to the controlled violence of his swing, and while he will not be scrutinizing his .297/.395/.405 line too closely, he felt he was able to keep up with the top-level college players who sat in the 90s better than the Division III guys who sat in the low-80s. What he does feel like has continued to progress during this time off is his pitch selection.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

A tidbit on Burger from a very in depth Fegan story about the Schamburg squad.  And yea, I'm sorta just posting it because I was once a DIII guy striking out against high 80s to a guy named James Deters.  He had a wicked curveball and if he hadn't had arm problems perhaps he'd have made it further than he did in pro ball.

Anyways, they got the low level, DIII college guys looking to keep a career going, and all sorts at the Carshield league he played in, including Burger, who I guess is looking OK.  I might have to eat crow on this one.

The dreaded "best shape of his life" story.