JR worried about 2021 season

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

You mean like using the pandemic to bully the players into signing a new owner friendly CBA?? They would NEVER even think about doing anything like that......

Or the players refusing to negotiate off of full salary when revenue are drastically down.

Or having the union negotiators agree to a deal and Boras and his "upper union management" not agree to it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wegner said:

I'm sorry but you cannot ignore the extensions of Moncada and Robert when you figure out whether that was or was not an awful contract for Abreu.  You cannot look at the contract in a vacuum without taking into account the entirety of the situation with the ball club and its future imho.

The owner gets to reward the team leader. Let's get over it and let him lead. They have a competitive team that believes they can contend.

Edited by pcq
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Nailed it. I think that continuity is important for any sport right now. For some reason fans tend to side with ownership over players. I don't get it, but it is what it is. 

EDIT(Before another person jumps on me I was clarifying my position because I wasn't sure whether or not he knew) 

I think they can get it done if there's an opt out for the players if things ever go back to the way they were BC(before covid) 

Really? I'm the only one I know that will even consider the owners side. Everyone is highly biased towards the players side. Maybe I need to get out more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Nailed it. I think that continuity is important for any sport right now. For some reason fans tend to side with ownership over players. I don't get it, but it is what it is. 

EDIT(Before another person jumps on me I was clarifying my position because I wasn't sure whether or not he knew) 

I think they can get it done if there's an opt out for the players if things ever go back to the way they were BC(before covid) 

I know your position.  You're one of the good ones.  

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

When the time comes...I don't want a "group"...just one very rich guy who can't stand losing.  A person who is willing to spend the money and hold the executives accountable for results.

Its always good to dream.

2 minutes ago, zisk said:

If vaccine is done and administered by 4-1-21, they'll have record attendance next year.

I'd say you're probably right.

I'd also say that the US hasn't given us any reason to believe that even if a vaccine is available by the start of the year, it will be widespread and delivered to a large share of the population by April. 

So if the headline is "Worried about the 2021 season" that's a fair point. If 3% of the population is vaccinated by next April, can you pack 40k in opening day?

18 hours ago, ptatc said:

Really? I'm the only one I know that will even consider the owners side. Everyone is highly biased towards the players side. Maybe I need to get out more.

I used to be for the owners before the teams were sold for incredible sums of money. I should have always been against them cause they are the ones who paid so much for players in free agency it created an era in which baseball games were unaffordable cause of parking/ticket/concession costs (unless you wanted a bad seat or were willing to get creative and take the L or park far away and walk or get tickets on special days and be willing to have lousy seats).

20 hours ago, skooch said:

And the billionaire bashing commences in 3, 2, 1...

Um, rightfully so. These millionaires and billionaires just don't have it in them to shut up. The best way to answer the question from the reporter about how it's going financially is to say - "I decline to go into detail there as I don't think it's appropriate to complain based on the position I'm in" He wasn't that bad in the article, but let's be honest, he should be smart enough to know how the article and title would be spun. 

These few owners that come out and talk about the losses are absolute idiots. Let me tell you how this works - if it was a bad investment you wouldn't have teams of millionaires and billioinaires lined up to buy the Mets or having the Royals sell for what they did. The fact is, it's an extremely lucrative business. 

Also surprise surprise that he's trying to cry poor to sign free agents.. It's the same ol' same ol' for Uncle jerry and always will be. It's never about winning, its never about making families happy, it's not about the players... it's about his pocketbook.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Um, rightfully so. These millionaires and billionaires just don't have it in them to shut up. The best way to answer the question from the reporter about how it's going financially is to say - "I decline to go into detail there as I don't think it's appropriate to complain based on the position I'm in" He wasn't that bad in the article, but let's be honest, he should be smart enough to know how the article and title would be spun. 

These few owners that come out and talk about the losses are absolute idiots. Let me tell you how this works - if it was a bad investment you wouldn't have teams of millionaires and billioinaires lined up to buy the Mets or having the Royals sell for what they did. The fact is, it's an extremely lucrative business. 

Also surprise surprise that he's trying to cry poor to sign free agents.. It's the same ol' same ol' for Uncle jerry and always will be. It's never about winning, its never about making families happy, it's not about the players... it's about his pocketbook.  

I disagree. Everything he said is a fact. They are no different than any other business owner. They have drastically reduced revenues for this year. This will alter the operating budget for next year. I don't see what the issue is for some people.  He didn't complain that he can't go to Europe or buy a new mansion. A reporter asked in this pandemic will effect next year and he replied that he is worried that it will.

• Like 1

Are people delusional enough to not see coronavirus has crushed revenues across all sports/entertainment industries? I don't see the controversy here, but people love to bash pro sports owners, then say nothing about the wealthy owners of corporations who are laying off millions of employees and crying for bailouts. 

MLB owners will take big losses this year, and with no fans likely in 2021, the losses will likely be higher if they play a full season. And I'm sure a lot of owners would love to sell, but the Mets bidding shows franchise values are already down 50%, and that will continue to go down. Sure people want to buy the Mets, because the Wilpons will sell even for pennies on the dollar.

Nobody is saying feel bad for the owners, they'll be fine. But the economic reality of covid-19 and the US economy, which includes sports, can't be ignored. Sports aren't immune and there are zero other businesses in this country where owners would take tens of millions in losses just to pay millionaire employees more. MLB is a business and in a capitalist society businesses that don't make profits usually don't last very long.

And it's weird people feel bad for MLB players. These guys are on such a pedestal and are in the 1% already. Feel bad for minor leaguers, team employees, and the millions of Americans going through actual financial hardship

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

No. The Royals were sold BEFORE the pandemic. The Mets bids are said to be 50% at best the franchise's pre-covid value.

The "spin" is coming from people like you who ignore that we are in another Great Depression-level economy. Baseball WAS lucrative. It isn't anymore, at least not in a pandemic, and the only people who want in do so because teams like the Mets are going for clearance prices.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

No. The Royals were sold BEFORE the pandemic. The Mets bids are said to be 50% at best the franchise's pre-covid value.

The "spin" is coming from people like you who ignore that we are in another Great Depression-level economy. Baseball WAS lucrative. It isn't anymore, at least not in a pandemic, and the only people who want in do so because teams like the Mets are going for clearance prices.

I am willing to bet a lot that the Mets will cost substantially more than $1.3 billion (half the $2.6 billion offer that was pulled in April). https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-mets-bidders-sale-alex-rodriguez-20200630-wgbfjwtpsvbktnw7t6koo4lhvm-story.html

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd say you're probably right.

I'd also say that the US hasn't given us any reason to believe that even if a vaccine is available by the start of the year, it will be widespread and delivered to a large share of the population by April. 

So if the headline is "Worried about the 2021 season" that's a fair point. If 3% of the population is vaccinated by next April, can you pack 40k in opening day?

We could if we were in florida, georgia, south Carolina...….

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

Screw these rich guys!  I’m super tired of this crap.  And I’m super tired of them funding all the science we depend on.  Just stop already.  Stop all these useless charities 

don't worry. you can just ignore it like a lot of other people do.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I am willing to bet a lot that the Mets will cost substantially more than $1.3 billion (half the $2.6 billion offer that was pulled in April). https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-mets-bidders-sale-alex-rodriguez-20200630-wgbfjwtpsvbktnw7t6koo4lhvm-story.html

I think JR and friends paid about 12 million for the Sox.

1 hour ago, CeaseAndExist said:

Are people delusional enough to not see coronavirus has crushed revenues across all sports/entertainment industries? I don't see the controversy here, but people love to bash pro sports owners, then say nothing about the wealthy owners of corporations who are laying off millions of employees and crying for bailouts. 

MLB owners will take big losses this year, and with no fans likely in 2021, the losses will likely be higher if they play a full season. And I'm sure a lot of owners would love to sell, but the Mets bidding shows franchise values are already down 50%, and that will continue to go down. Sure people want to buy the Mets, because the Wilpons will sell even for pennies on the dollar.

Nobody is saying feel bad for the owners, they'll be fine. But the economic reality of covid-19 and the US economy, which includes sports, can't be ignored. Sports aren't immune and there are zero other businesses in this country where owners would take tens of millions in losses just to pay millionaire employees more. MLB is a business and in a capitalist society businesses that don't make profits usually don't last very long.

And it's weird people feel bad for MLB players. These guys are on such a pedestal and are in the 1% already. Feel bad for minor leaguers, team employees, and the millions of Americans going through actual financial hardship

Yes. All of this. Thank you for posting this.

2 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Hasn't Jerry kept all Sox employees on the payroll despite shutting down? He should be commended for that alone. 

I don't know all the details, but they did just this week fire all the employees who work at what used to be called the Bull Sox Academy on the baseball and softball side.  Those are the same employees who work the Comcast Kids Zone deck, and were all direct employees of the team.  Heard the shut down is permanent.