JR worried about 2021 season

southsider2k5

Jerry gets the respect he deserves for his loyalty to his employees and etc. To say he gets no love completely ignores that aspect; heck, he gets love for hiring a black executive in baseball, and a Venezuelan manager. There are good things about Jerry Reinsdorf, and I don't think many are arguing otherwise.

When being critical of Reinsdorf, I always preface it by saying he could be a horrible person like the Ricketts - which to me, would make rooting for the Sox more difficult - but just because he's not them doesn't mean he doesn't have his faults.

Fact is, Jerry has made tons of money with these franchises - amounts of money that people frankly shouldn't even be capable of making - but he is so business centric that he is the evil overseer when it comes to negotiations with players. His drive for collusion and etc among ownership groups is everything that is wrong with big business in this country and he deserves heaps of criticism for that. We get that it's a business, but at the same time it's a luxury. Jerry has made over 3 billion owning these teams, and while he has taken care of his own he really hasn't taken care of the fans in the same way. I get that to him they are just consumers, but it would be nice if the old man realized that those consumers made him filthy rich and he rewarded them for once instead of crying poor during a pandemic with 40 million out of work.

• Love 1

But he wasnt crying poor as posters here insist. He didnt go to the press to complain about the situation. In an interview he was asked the status of sports for next year. He answered honestly that he was worried about the financial state due to there being no fans. He said the losses would be 100 million or nine figures. Whether you believe the number or not and most here insist the owners are liars and cheats but the players are pure as snowlakes, he did not go crying poor to the public. He just answered a question about the state of sports.

And people wonder why no one wants to answer honestly or even talk to the media.

27 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jerry gets the respect he deserves for his loyalty to his employees and etc. To say he gets no love completely ignores that aspect; heck, he gets love for hiring a black executive in baseball, and a Venezuelan manager. There are good things about Jerry Reinsdorf, and I don't think many are arguing otherwise.

When being critical of Reinsdorf, I always preface it by saying he could be a horrible person like the Ricketts - which to me, would make rooting for the Sox more difficult - but just because he's not them doesn't mean he doesn't have his faults.

Fact is, Jerry has made tons of money with these franchises - amounts of money that people frankly shouldn't even be capable of making - but he is so business centric that he is the evil overseer when it comes to negotiations with players. His drive for collusion and etc among ownership groups is everything that is wrong with big business in this country and he deserves heaps of criticism for that. We get that it's a business, but at the same time it's a luxury. Jerry has made over 3 billion owning these teams, and while he has taken care of his own he really hasn't taken care of the fans in the same way. I get that to him they are just consumers, but it would be nice if the old man realized that those consumers made him filthy rich and he rewarded them for once instead of crying poor during a pandemic with 40 million out of work.

I will admit I have a level of respect for JR as an owner.  He has been progressive in terms in installing management into his teams that looks a lot like the players on those teams.  He has protected his employees, especially through this health crisis.  He has taken care of his players when the really needed it, and even advised players when they were making bad decisions.  When you contrast JR with the Ricketts Klan across town, and I see nothing wrong with respecting this ownership group for how they conduct themselves both on and off of the field.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will admit I have a level of respect for JR as an owner.  He has been progressive in terms in installing management into his teams that looks a lot like the players on those teams.  He has protected his employees, especially through this health crisis.  He has taken care of his players when the really needed it, and even advised players when they were making bad decisions.  When you contrast JR with the Ricketts Klan across town, and I see nothing wrong with respecting this ownership group for how they conduct themselves both on and off of the field.

I have mixed feelings about JR as well. He's done a lot of good things but his level of contempt for the players is baffling. He continually refuses to pay players what they're worth, however he and his front offices are very good at getting their players to sign below market value contracts. I imagine he treats his players very well in every way except financially. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

49 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I have mixed feelings about JR as well. He's done a lot of good things but his level of contempt for the players is baffling. He continually refuses to pay players what they're worth, however he and his front offices are very good at getting their players to sign below market value contracts. I imagine he treats his players very well in every way except financially. 

This is not possible. He may not sign players from outside to big money deals. But everyone on the team either accepted a free agent deal, signed to an international free agent or is in the same promotion process as every other pre-arb player in the league. The only players he could possibly not be paying fairly are the ones not on the team.

24 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is not possible. He may not sign players from outside to big money deals. But everyone on the team either accepted a free agent deal, signed to an international free agent or is in the same promotion process as every other pre-arb player in the league. The only players he could possibly not be paying fairly are the ones not on the team.

We'll find out in a few years when some of these guys are free. Maybe he's going to spend this time. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

We'll find out in a few years when some of these guys are free. Maybe he's going to spend this time. 

Still doesnt mean that he doesn't treat the players on the team fair financially. Letting a player go just because another team offers him more money doesn't mean he wasn't treated fairly financially when he was with the team.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Still doesnt mean that he doesn't treat the players on the team fair financially. Letting a player go just because another team offers him more money doesn't mean he wasn't treated fairly financially when he was with the team.

I mean all you have to do is look at all of the dead weight free agent deals on the north side, and see what spending too much on outside players would get you.

On 7/17/2020 at 10:30 AM, Jose Abreu said:

I read a great thread on the topic that I don't think was shared:

6 hours ago, ptatc said:

But he wasnt crying poor as posters here insist. He didnt go to the press to complain about the situation. In an interview he was asked the status of sports for next year. He answered honestly that he was worried about the financial state due to there being no fans. He said the losses would be 100 million or nine figures. Whether you believe the number or not and most here insist the owners are liars and cheats but the players are pure as snowlakes, he did not go crying poor to the public. He just answered a question about the state of sports.

And people wonder why no one wants to answer honestly or even talk to the media.

I think you should reread the twitter thread shared by JA. This was a Bob Nightengale article. This was not a media member cornering Jerry and coaxing him into a snafu, this is a de facto organizational mouthpiece putting out a story that Jerry very much so wanted out there, because that is what Nightengale does.

20 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

I think you should reread the twitter thread shared by JA. This was a Bob Nightengale article. This was not a media member cornering Jerry and coaxing him into a snafu, this is a de facto organizational mouthpiece putting out a story that Jerry very much so wanted out there, because that is what Nightengale does.

Right but he was just answering a question. He didn't go on and on about it. It was actually a very small part of the entire discussion. The way people are portraying it here is he complained that he is going to have to fire everyone and he's going to lose the mortgage, won't sign any players etc. He wasn't crying poor just stating he is worried for next year and they lost quite a bit of money. That is really all he said. Again, if you prefer him to not comment about it or not do interviews that's fine but people will complain about that as well.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Right but he was just answering a question. He didn't go on and on about it. It was actually a very small part of the entire discussion. The way people are portraying it here is he complained that he is going to have to fire everyone and he's going to lose the mortgage, won't sign any players etc. He wasn't crying poor just stating he is worried for next year and they lost quite a bit of money. That is really all he said. Again, if you prefer him to not comment about it or not do interviews that's fine but people will complain about that as well.

It's a shame that Jerry Reinsdorf has no idea how to give a press interview, that he gives quotes without knowing which ones will be at the front of the article. Since he makes those mistakes so often, maybe he should hire some press people to work with him.

He must be a terrible businessman too, I mean otherwise he'd have done that long ago, and if that was the case then when he gave an interview like this he'd know exactly which quotes are going to wind up on ESPN and Twitter. 

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It's a shame that Jerry Reinsdorf has no idea how to give a press interview, that he gives quotes without knowing which ones will be at the front of the article. Since he makes those mistakes so often, maybe he should hire some press people to work with him.

He must be a terrible businessman too, I mean otherwise he'd have done that long ago, and if that was the case then when he gave an interview like this he'd know exactly which quotes are going to wind up on ESPN and Twitter. 

In Jerry's defense, Bob is world renowned as a hard-hitting journalist with a reputation for extracting quotes and doing great investigative reporting to show the Sox in a bad light.

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I have no problem with the quotes and I'm sure he doesn't either. He said everything straight out. It's just a shame that there are so many people out there that will jump all over just the one part of the interview. Te whole interview wound up on ESPN and twitter, some people just choose to focus only on a small part of it. Which of course is their right, it's just sad that they pick and choose for their own agendas. But such is life.

39 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He's never going to be able to please you and all the others who look at him like the boogeyman so why would he care? He's well aware of the quotes that are going to be all over Twitter. The media and a lot of the fans just love to hate owners and call them cheap when they really don't know the first thing about money or business. Should he lie to the media so his coverage is better?

You saying he's a terrible businessman really undermines your point in any case. I don't like the guy personally and would be delighted by news of him potentially taking the team to bid. That said, the Sox are one of the most prepared teams for all of this craziness that occurred following COIVD shutdown.

1.) The Sox basically have a free stadium deal with the ISAFA (because Reinsdorf is a terrible businessman who can't negotiate I am sure). 

2.) They are in a great cash/debt position relative to the rest of the league because when you were hammering him for being cheap, he was stockpiling cash and preparing his business for a sudden and unexpected downturn. As opposed to Ricketts on the North Side who was sweating bullets these last few months.

3.) Sox are a young, promising team with depth and very little long-term high risk obligations on the books because this "terrible" businessman was willing to sign-off and approve of a rebuild while he was in his 80's and he was willing to trust his baseball people with spending/trading for unproven (at the MLB level) talents.

Again, I've never been a supporter of Reinsdorf and would welcome him moving on from the Sox, but the Sox are one of the best prepared teams in all of baseball for the next several years and Reinsdorf has a big part of that. Obviously he never knew that COVID was going to be created and change the landscape, but unlike most other businesses in our debt-based society, Reinsdorf and his ownership group prepared for a potential hardship in the business. 

Edited by raBBit
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, raBBit said:

He's never going to be able to please you and all the others who look at him like the boogeyman so why would he care? He's well aware of the quotes that are going to be all over Twitter. The media and a lot of the fans just love to hate owners and call them cheap when they really don't know the first thing about money or business. Should he lie to the media so his coverage is better?

You saying he's a terrible businessman really undermines your point in any case. I don't like the guy personally and would be delighted by news of him potentially taking the team to bid. That said, the Sox are one of the most prepared teams for all of this craziness that occurred following COIVD shutdown.

1.) The Sox basically have a free stadium deal with the ISAFA (because Reinsdorf is a terrible businessman who can't negotiate I am sure). 

2.) They are in a great cash/debt position relative to the rest of the league because when you were hammering him for being cheap, he was stockpiling cash and preparing his business for a sudden and unexpected downturn. As opposed to Ricketts on the North Side who was sweating bullets these last few months.

3.) Sox are a young, promising team with depth and very little long-term high risk obligations on the books because this "terrible" businessman was willing to sign-off and approve of a rebuild while he was in his 80's and he was willing to trust his baseball people with spending/trading for unproven (at the MLB level) talents.

Again, I've never been a supporter of Reinsdorf and would welcome him moving on from the Sox, but the Sox are one of the best prepared teams in all of baseball for the next several years and Reinsdorf has a big part of that. Obviously he never knew that COVID was going to be created and change the landscape, but unlike most other businesses in our debt-based society, Reinsdorf and his ownership group prepared for a potential hardship in the business. 

Dude, that was an awful lot of text explaining how you didn't understand the sarcasm in my post.

18 hours ago, ptatc said:

I have no problem with the quotes and I'm sure he doesn't either. He said everything straight out. It's just a shame that there are so many people out there that will jump all over just the one part of the interview. Te whole interview wound up on ESPN and twitter, some people just choose to focus only on a small part of it. Which of course is their right, it's just sad that they pick and choose for their own agendas. But such is life.

More clearly explaining the previous post: Jerry Reinsdorf is not the idiot you take him for. Jerry Reinsdorf knew exactly which part of that interview would be the headline of the article when he gave it. This isn't any conspiracy theory, he's just  smart businessman. Which thing does he want out in the public right now? A statement about teams taking big losses, because they're going to have to negotiate about potential losses for next year.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

More clearly explaining the previous post: Jerry Reinsdorf is not the idiot you take him for. Jerry Reinsdorf knew exactly which part of that interview would be the headline of the article when he gave it. This isn't any conspiracy theory, he's just  smart businessman. Which thing does he want out in the public right now? A statement about teams taking big losses, because they're going to have to negotiate about potential losses for next year.

Wow, we really took our conversation differently.  I do not think he is an idiot.  I dont always agree with his philosophy but he's not an idiot. My comments were about the people who only comment about a small piece of his interview and hammer it to death. I know why he put it out there and many people took they bait. I just happen to think he has a valid point while many others dont seem to think he and the owners ever do.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Wow, we really took our conversation differently.  I do not think he is an idiot.  I dont always agree with his philosophy but he's not an idiot. My comments were about the people who only comment about a small piece of his interview and hammer it to death. I know why he put it out there and many people took they bait. I just happen to think he has a valid point while many others dont seem to think he and the owners ever do.

I think he's a smart businessman who knew exactly what part of his statement would be picked up by the press and he made that statement because he's a smart businessman working the press.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I think he's a smart businessman who knew exactly what part of his statement would be picked up by the press and he made that statement because he's a smart businessman working the press.

Of course he did. He made the point to A) let everyone know next year will be tough financially and there will be decreased options for players, B) to let the players know they won this round but there will be a greater battle for the next CBA. 

My point is that people who continue to focus on it and say he continues to "cry poor" just have an obvious bias to continue to attack it. His tactics are no different than the players union with the refusal to take a cut in pay per game while the owners took a greater decrease in revenue per game. Some people just only see the one side and refuse to admit that the players are doing the same thing. 

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Of course he did. He made the point to A) let everyone know next year will be tough financially and there will be decreased options for players, B) to let the players know they won this round but there will be a greater battle for the next CBA. 

My point is that people who continue to focus on it and say he continues to "cry poor" just have an obvious bias to continue to attack it. His tactics are no different than the players union with the refusal to take a cut in pay per game while the owners took a greater decrease in revenue per game. Some people just only see the one side and refuse to admit that the players are doing the same thing. 

Well at least you've stopped attacking the media for reporting what he wanted reported, so that's something.

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well at least you've stopped attacking the media for reporting what he wanted reported, so that's something.

I never attacked the media, it's the people reacting to it that I have the problem with. The media only reported what he said in response to a question. Unless he was misquoted there is no reason to.

Edited by ptatc

54 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I never attacked the media, it's the people reacting to it that I have the problem with. The media only reported what he said in response to a question. Unless he was misquoted there is no reason to.

He's just using sarcasm. You can't follow the hilarity?

15 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

So Jerry runs to his favorite mouthpiece to put out a woe is me propaganda piece one week before the Dodgers sign a player to the largest contract in baseball history.  Gotta love the timing on that.

But but but...their uniquely advantageous media rights deals make the Dodgers and Yankees exceptions to any rule of economics if they really want a player.

FWIW, I think the "loss" he's referring to reflects this math:

Revenue MLB expected to generate in 2020/21 – Revenue MLB will actually generate in 2020/21 = 9 figure difference

I think it's not obvious to the reader that this is the case and leaves one with the impression that there will be a negative profit of 9 figures, which would be preposterous IMO

Edited by Jake