Opening Day 2nd Basemen

Johno

I believe it’s time for the White Sox to name Nick Madrigal as there starting second basemen.   All indications point to him being mature beyond his years, so why throw him out there.    I just can’t see him being on the roster and being a backup and possibly playing every third day.   Let the future start now for this young man!!

1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Let’s not kid ourselves....the Sox will hold him out for the first week, to get their service time and then he will be the guy the rest of the way 

Is that the amount of time? One week? So he misses the Twins and Indians series. I guess if they can do it, you do it. But also remember...it’s Nick Madrigal. He’s going to be a reliable starter, but I don’t think he’s ever going to break the bank. And once the CBA gets renewed in 2022, chances are he’ll sign a long term deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flavum said:

Is that the amount of time? One week? So he misses the Twins and Indians series. I guess if they can do it, you do it. But also remember...it’s Nick Madrigal. He’s going to be a reliable starter, but I don’t think he’s ever going to break the bank. And once the CBA gets renewed in 2022, chances are he’ll sign a long term deal.

In order to recoup the season it takes 16 normal days off of the roster.  That is like 6-7 now.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I just can't imagine there will be that much savings in holding madrigal down.

And with Keuchel, it may make sense to have a better 2b defensively.

I agree but this is what they do.  In regards to Keuchel he’d really only miss 1 of his starts having to stay down for just 6 days 

13 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I agree but this is what they do.  In regards to Keuchel he’d really only miss 1 of his starts having to stay down for just 6 days 

They did it with players who have savings opportunities, Madrigal is really unlikely to be much more than a solid starting 2b and that is gonna be pretty easy to re-sign.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

They did it with players who have savings opportunities, Madrigal is really unlikely to be much more than a solid starting 2b and that is gonna be pretty easy to re-sign.

Agreed. Plus, with no minor league season, you don't really have the gifted reason of "needs more time in the minors." What are you going to say when you call him up a week into a 60-game season, we needed to see him field more groundballs and live bp?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Agreed. Plus, with no minor league season, you don't really have the gifted reason of "needs more time in the minors." What are you going to say when you call him up a week into a 60-game season, we needed to see him field more groundballs and live bp?

actually yeah this is the best point. Gotta feel pretty confident these pick-up games in schaumburg are better development.

I think they will keep him down that 7 days. Sure it is a short season and if they start 2-6 those games against the Indians and twins they would be in quite a hole but still statistically madrigal will maybe be worth one third of a win over a replacement player over 7-8 games so it is not that bad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Well you could theoretically say the starting 2B wasn't getting the job done so we had to call him up.