Blue Jays must Find a US home field

SCCWS

4 hours ago, soxfan18 said:

It's not MLB who would care, it's Sportsnet.  Minor league parks don't meet the standard for Major League level broadcasts.  

Pittsburgh and Baltimore are the favorites, as both have hotels steps away from the park, eliminating the need to an auxiliary clubhouse.  

They'd need to play in an East park, so Baltimore would be an option over Pittsburgh.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

What are they going to do if they don't have a home by Friday? Could that kill the season? 

One option is playing all road games. The MiLB option seems to be off the table. Players want MLB level comfort. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

One option is playing all road games. The MiLB option seems to be off the table. Players want MLB level comfort. 

Knee-jerk reaction was to say that this would be terrible, but it's not the worst situation. No fans in stadiums mitigates (much) of the road atmosphere, and they would still be able to bat last for their 'home' games on the road. There are worse situations to be in.

31 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Knee-jerk reaction was to say that this would be terrible, but it's not the worst situation. No fans in stadiums mitigates (much) of the road atmosphere, and they would still be able to bat last for their 'home' games on the road. There are worse situations to be in.

On field it may not be bad, but traveling to a new city/hotel every 3-4 days for 2.5 months straight without any time at home (or even just 7-10 days in a row at a semi-permanent residence in Buffalo/etc) would be a major grind.

4 hours ago, sin city sox fan said:

I still think you have major COViD violations on several teams within a month forcing an end to the season.   I’m as excited as anyone to watch games but just don’t feel it’s wise to play baseball at all in 2020.

What do you mean by violations?

MoI believe they can keep playing with players on the DL for Covid related illnesses and quarantines. Eventually we'll see some AA guys getting a chance against AAA pitching in MLB ballparks with virtual fans. 

The world series will be decided by each team nominating one player to play MLB Slugfest at the ESPN studios. 

At this point anyone could make up anything and it seems possible.

I realize It is not apples to oranges, but it seems like allowing NHL teams to play in Canada and banning the Blue Jays from playing  in Toronto seems like radically different decisions. I wonder if the Blue Jays turned down any alternatives from Canadian officials. 

58 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I realize It is not apples to oranges, but it seems like allowing NHL teams to play in Canada and banning the Blue Jays from playing  in Toronto seems like radically different decisions. I wonder if the Blue Jays turned down any alternatives from Canadian officials. 

The NHL teams are not traveling back and forth, they traveled there once. Huge difference.

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

How is it anywhere near the same? All players are staying in Canada and being tested when they come. Canada has controlled the virus. The players will live there and play there.

The Blue Jays and teams they play would be traveling back and forth to a virus hotbed in the USA.

In life, there are sadly consequences for poor leadership. This is just one example.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

OK Buffalo will be the Jay's main home at least.

"We are extremely grateful to have a home in Buffalo this season, thanks to the openness, creativity, and partnership of the Buffalo Bisons, Major League Baseball, and Blue Jays staff, who have worked tirelessly to prepare us for games at Sahlen Field," Blue Jays president and CEO Mark Shapiro said in a statement.

Great news for a city that has taken a knee to the groin for 50 years. They just made that city very proud and happy.

On 7/20/2020 at 12:02 AM, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Oh, so Canada is too good to have any Americans go there right now? Screw em. Strip them of the "Toronto" in their name this year or don't let them play. 

I'm still trying to figure out if this is supposed to be a parody account, or what? I only started posting here a couple months ago, so maybe I missed out on the inside joke. Someone fill me in.

Edited by Vulture
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vulture said:

I don't see what good it does for the people of Buffalo since they can't go to the games anyway. Might as well be playing in Saskatoon, they'd have to watch on TV either way.

WNY is a 2.6M market and the interest in this is huge. Jay's made a smart move to add to their ratings and base next door to CA. AAA town gets an MLB visitor.