WhiteSox @ Cubs | 7.19.20 | 7:05PM

Whisox05

This game was a lot more emotional for me than I thought.

It reaffirmed how much I truly love this sport.

And Ozzie was spot-on.

The White Sox brand can extend globally if they are marketed right.

I like his opening day line-up too.

Bedside manners aside, I would have loved to have seen what Ozzie at this juncture in his life could have done with this team.

His comments about Cooper were biting and oh so true.

Edited by GradMc

46 minutes ago, GradMc said:

This game was a lot more emotional for me than I thought.

It reaffirmed how much I truly love this sport.

And Ozzie was spot-on.

The White Sox brand can extend globally if they are marketed right.

I like his opening day line-up too.

Bedside manners aside, I would have loved to have seen what Ozzie at this juncture in his life could have done with this team.

His comments about Cooper were biting and oh so true.

Is it the sport you love or the winning and having a good team ? Every time I see a game i already know i love the sport (No reaffirmation required) but winning is a lot more fun.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I still believe in Collins’ ability to hit major league pitching.  Hopefully he can carve out a role once McCann leaves after this season.  Would be great insurance for an aging Abreu.

I'm optimistic about Collins - Since he made adjustments late last year, he has just looked like a different hitter. And it didn't take much, because he already had great OBP upside (given his eye) and obviously has power.  I'm still not convinced he can stick behind the plate, but he'll get a ton of great training from Grandal.  I really really love the Sox young position players in general.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm optimistic about Collins - Since he made adjustments late last year, he has just looked like a different hitter. And it didn't take much, because he already had great OBP upside (given his eye) and obviously has power.  I'm still not convinced he can stick behind the plate, but he'll get a ton of great training from Grandal.  I really really love the Sox young position players in general.  

I wonder why they signed EE just to block him if they like him so much? 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

He probably won't, but....you're losing a valuable year to see what Collins is. 

Because they’re already relying on several young / unproven players and having another guy to anchor the middle of the lineup makes sense for the 2020 season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Teams don’t typically play service time game with relief prospects.

Yeah, exactly. I don't think they're worried about service time with guys that usually wash out after a few years. 

If the Sox are seeking to win games, Heuer needs to be up with the big club from Opening Day. Can't depend on guys like Herrera and Cishek to pitch in high leverage situations until they prove otherwise. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Butter Parque said:

Yeah, exactly. I don't think they're worried about service time with guys that usually wash out after a few years. 

If the Sox are seeking to win games, Heuer needs to be up with the big club from Opening Day. Can't depend on guys like Herrera and Cishek to pitch in high leverage situations until they prove otherwise. 

Herrera is one thing, but they signed Cishek this past offseason to pitch in high leverage situations.  Don't think it's time to throw him overboard before a single game has been played.

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Herrera is one thing, but they signed Cishek this past offseason to pitch in high leverage situations.  Don't think it's time to throw him overboard before a single game has been played.

I'm not throwing him overboard at all. At the same time, the season is a sprint. This team might be good, but it's probably not good enough to throw away a multitude of games within the division. 

If the season started today, which RHP are you more comfortable using: Herrera, Cishek, Heuer?

I jut am not very confident in this bullpen. It could definitely be good, but it requires a lot of squinting to envision it. Heuer at least looks like an additional arm that could be used to protect leads or preserve tie games. 

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Because even at his peak he won't be able to hit like EE, and this is a team that is trying to move its timeline up a year or two.

Um......then what's the point of keeping him around? Collins is blocked like crazy now. Grandal/Abreu/Vaughn. Not to mention he's 26 and quickly exiting prospect territory. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Um......then what's the point of keeping him around? Collins is blocked like crazy now. Grandal/Abreu/Vaughn. Not to mention he's 26 and quickly exiting prospect territory. 

They got a top level hitter who can hit today, for sure.  They want to win the division, not next year or two years down the road, but today.  Collins is a probably hitter who can't play a defensive position.  EE is a top level power hitter.  They are looking to win now, which is why EE.  Collins will either make himself a spot, or move on.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

McCann will leave after this year for a better contract and Collins will be the cheap backup catcher.

2 hours ago, Butter Parque said:

I'm not throwing him overboard at all. At the same time, the season is a sprint. This team might be good, but it's probably not good enough to throw away a multitude of games within the division. 

If the season started today, which RHP are you more comfortable using: Herrera, Cishek, Heuer?

I jut am not very confident in this bullpen. It could definitely be good, but it requires a lot of squinting to envision it. Heuer at least looks like an additional arm that could be used to protect leads or preserve tie games. 

I don't disagree with adding Heuer, and I'm excited about him.  But if you're asking who I'm more comfortable with at this moment I'll take Cishek's proven MLB track record over a few good preseason outings any day of the week .

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Because EE is the better hitter and obviously when they signed him it was with the thought Vaughn would spend most of 2020 in the minors, and Collins would probably continue his development as a catcher there too.

You really like to trash every move they make to improve the team, I don't get it

46 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

Because EE is the better hitter and obviously when they signed him it was with the thought Vaughn would spend most of 2020 in the minors, and Collins would probably continue his development as a catcher there too.

You really like to trash every move they make to improve the team, I don't get it

I'm fine with most of the moves they made this year. Keuchel scares me(think 2019 Jon Lester)  and EE just seemed unnecessary. If all they would have done was add Grandal, Mazara and Gio Gonzalez and signed Moncada/Robert to long term deals I'd have been fine with that. Is it cheap? Yeah I still think Keuchel has a chance to backfire horribly on them. What's the point of having all of these younger guys if they're not going to see what they have. They need to know what they have in guys like Collins and Dunning. I'd have been fine if they used this year to find out what they had and then gone on a spending binge this winter. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1