Giolito opening day starter

Balta1701

50 minutes ago, Cashman said:

At this point, I am not sure Lopez can be counted on as a SP. I think it is time to move on.

I'd like to give Lopez a look in the pen before writing him completely off, but yeah I'm not sure he's going to cut it as a starter. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

53 minutes ago, flavum said:

Cease and Lopez are getting their work in this morning. No game today.

Rodon/Gonzalez tomorrow night vs Brewers

It would appear to be Giolito, Keuchel, Cease vs Minnesota and Lopez, Rodon/Gio, Giolito vs Cleveland

I think they might be piggy backing Rodon and Gonzalez. 

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Why piggy back 2 LH?  Would make it a lot harder for opposing offenses if they piggy backed Lopez and one of them.. Unless of course they wanna give Lopez a full shot.

Hopefully Lopez channels the same stuff he had when he 1-hit the Indians last year. But I’m sure Gio will be available if things go bad early on. Then the rest of the staff can relieve Rodon on Tuesday. Lots of arms. They will be used. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Why piggy back 2 LH?  Would make it a lot harder for opposing offenses if they piggy backed Lopez and one of them.. Unless of course they wanna give Lopez a full shot.

Because both are coming off injury. If you listened to Gio Gonzalez talk, he'd have probably missed 2-3 months had the season started on time. 

Lopez got several swinging strikes with his change up in one of the intrasquad games. Of course this was after Grandal took him yard with what, iirc, was a fastball. It seemed like there was hope on the off speed front, but that fastball just doesn't seem have any movement. 

I suspect he's destined for the pen or a new home. He had many chances and was given a pretty long leash during the rebuild. Now there are younger guys pushing him for SP and eventually he would have to be replaced anyway in the FA market if he cannot begin to produce. The rebuild it's over. Time to win.

6 minutes ago, skooch said:

Lopez got several swinging strikes with his change up in one of the intrasquad games. Of course this was after Grandal took him yard with what, iirc, was a fastball. It seemed like there was hope on the off speed front, but that fastball just doesn't seem have any movement. 

I suspect he's destined for the pen or a new home. He had many chances and was given a pretty long leash during the rebuild. Now there are younger guys pushing him for SP and eventually he would have to be replaced anyway in the FA market if he cannot begin to produce. The rebuild it's over. Time to win.

Lopez has a good change, it's probably his best secondary pitch....he hangs it a lot. Wen he locates the change he's good. I'd like to see him out of the pen to see if he could be a Rodney type before completely giving up on him. 

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Lopez has a good change, it's probably his best secondary pitch....he hangs it a lot. Wen he locates the change he's good. I'd like to see him out of the pen to see if he could be a Rodney type before completely giving up on him. 

His pure stuff is SOOOO good.  The stories about his lack of concentration seem to be an underlying theme here, so his problems seem to be very mental.  Hopefully someone can get through to him.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

His pure stuff is SOOOO good.  The stories about his lack of concentration seem to be an underlying theme here, so his problems seem to be very mental.  Hopefully someone can get through to him.

I think both his slider and curve are borderline MLB quality tbh....

54 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wasn't it Ivan Nova that was mentoring him last year to get him to focus? He had that $100 bet going with him to see ReyLo to practice his English too.

I've heard Keuchel is a good clubhouse mentor, hopefully he can work with ReyLo as well.

But end of the day, Reynaldo needs to be accountable to himself and 'want' to put in the work and focus. Hope he does for his own sake.

14 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Wasn't it Ivan Nova that was mentoring him last year to get him to focus? He had that $100 bet going with him to see ReyLo to practice his English too.

I've heard Keuchel is a good clubhouse mentor, hopefully he can work with ReyLo as well.

But end of the day, Reynaldo needs to be accountable to himself and 'want' to put in the work and focus. Hope he does for his own sake.

Absolutely.  I mean if he doesn't figure it out, he will lose his spot in the rotation, and will be then out of the organization. 

15 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I have a term for these students: popcorn brain. Strategies for getting them to focus can be challenging.