Jason Bennetti Haters Club

HollywoodTim

Check in here.

I can't stand this guy and he's just gotten worse.  If he was a pure PBP guy it would be fine but of course he has to throw in all the nonsense.  The laugh he makes is cringeworthy and the dropoff in voice on big calls from Hawk to him is like man to boy, really.

If there is a PBP man then at least I would love to hear a true baseball broadcast where the only opinions on baseball are given by players, and any banter comes from players, etc.  He's just a fan and I don't care about what he has to say.

Also he follows the players wives on their social media accounts and then quotes them on air.  I don't even follow my own wife's social media accounts.  I don't know if it's more uncomfortably feminine than creepy or more creepy than uncomfortably feminine behavior, but it's a lot of both, and it's also cringe time for me when it happens.

There's a lot more I can say but I will let some of the other Haters check in.  I think there is way too much Bennetti love on this site just like there was way too much Hawk hate and Farmio hate.  RIP Farmio also.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ignoring the latent sexism in the OP, Steve Stone is the problem in the broadcast booth, not Jason.  If you listen to the guy with anyone else, he is 10 times better than he is with Stone.  There is just zero chemistry between these two guys.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

Check in here.

I can't stand this guy and he's just gotten worse.  If he was a pure PBP guy it would be fine but of course he has to throw in all the nonsense.  The laugh he makes is cringeworthy and the dropoff in voice on big calls from Hawk to him is like man to boy, really.

If there is a PBP man then at least I would love to hear a true baseball broadcast where the only opinions on baseball are given by players, and any banter comes from players, etc.  He's just a fan and I don't care about what he has to say.

Also he follows the players wives on their social media accounts and then quotes them on air.  I don't even follow my own wife's social media accounts.  I don't know if it's more uncomfortably feminine than creepy or more creepy than uncomfortably feminine behavior, but it's a lot of both, and it's also cringe time for me when it happens.

There's a lot more I can say but I will let some of the other Haters check in.  I think there is way too much Bennetti love on this site just like there was way too much Hawk hate and Farmio hate.  RIP Farmio also.

hoooo boy is there a lot to unpack there.

• Thanks 1

I think Bennetti really eggs Stoney into the puns.  When he was with the Cubs or with Farmio or Hawk he wasn't like this at all.  I don't mind the goofiness with Stone, but I don't like the "old man" gimmick that he has to play because it's obviously not him.  Stoney used to be more of a sarcastic ass, but in a good way.  I know his tell-it-like-it-is style got him thrown out of the Cubs booth but I loved listening to him back then when a Cubs game would be on, and when he came to the Sox I was thrilled about it.

I would love to see Stoney stick with baseball constantly because he's really good at it.  And I would like to see Bennetti use Stoney's baseball mind for better purposes.  I mean if I had the luxury of being paid to watch Sox games and put forth questions to Steve Stone about baseball all game I bet I would do something more useful to the baseball fan sitting at home than try to make funny jokes or show off how witty I can be.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Benetti is amazing. This thread is trash. Mainly because of your weird internal insecurities with "femininity" invading your sports world.

You are definitely in the minority on Jason though. This year's Athletic Broadcast survey has Jason/Stone as 8th best in MLB.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

The big drop off is just not having Hawks calls.  He gawn, or you can put it on the board, yes, etc.  Without those type of things, anyone is going to seem drab in comparison.   I don't mind Benetti, but man are is home run calls weak.  It would be great if someone like AJ got in the booth and used Hawks old sayings.  That I think is what is missing the most, to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ignoring the latent sexism in the OP, Steve Stone is the problem in the broadcast booth, not Jason.  If you listen to the guy with anyone else, he is 10 times better than he is with Stone.  There is just zero chemistry between these two guys.

My issue is with the duo straining to be funny and getting way off base. They don't add much to my game experience. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HollywoodTim said:

Check in here.

The 1950's called and they want their thread back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

I really DGAF about Jason mentioning the wives but the dude is a grade A cornball and when the team starts winning, and they will, it's time to get serious once and awhile.  Jason drives me nuts.  He's a bad combo of baseball illiterate and goofball.  He doesn't do the shtick half as much when he does national college basketball so I'm not sure why he thinks it plays better locally.

He's better than old Hawk (so anything post 2012, which broke him), but that's not saying much.  I hope he turns down the fucking shtick this year, but he seems to just be ramping it up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I really DGAF about Jason mentioning the wives but the dude is a grade A cornball and when the team starts winning, and they will, it's time to get serious once and awhile.  Jason drives me nuts.  He's a bad combo of baseball illiterate and goofball.  He doesn't do the shtick half as much when he does national college basketball so I'm not sure why he thinks it plays better locally.

He's better than old Hawk (so anything post 2012, which broke him), but that's not saying much.  I hope he turns down the fucking shtick this year, but he seems to just be ramping it up.

1) Not having any fans in the stands, I think having broadcast before....psychologically, you start feeling this subconscious need to be even more entertaining or interesting/funny to make up for that ambient background noise.   It's like going from a regular classroom and talking to yourself (unless students have cams and microphones on) through an online classroom, you're just getting almost no feedback and it feels just "off."

2)  Benetti is much better on college basketball and even the random college FB games from the Southeast he was assigned.

He's still deferring way too much, and he just doesn't have a natural feel for the sport like he does with basketball or even football.   Most would argue NCAABB is his best skill.

3)  The "insider-ish" stuff about being around the team and being a fanboy needs to end.   He needs to have a little more professional distance.  It's like he admires them too much...like the young impressionable high schooler or university student granted access to the clubhouse when he didn't/couldn't make it as a player.   That's fine, some of the best broadcasters in history weren't excellent athletes, but if you grew up with guys like Scully and Harwell, or Jack Buck....I'll just say he has a long ways to go in terms of telling the baseball stories and lore behind the game that Hawk excelled at.   Benetti is from a different generation, he doesn't have that fondness or reference for the 1950's, 60's and 70's that the older generation carried forth until retirement.   It's ironic, because we complain about too much "sabes" and analytics, but he's the broadcasting equivalent.    I'm almost to the point where I would rather hear him simply do PBP and not so much schtick.   Farmer and DJ had that same problem as well, but they genuinely likely each other and had the mutual respect across two generations of MLB.   Benetti is still an outsider attempting to fit or belong in the insider's club.

• Like 1

Your last paragraph is spot on Caulfield.  He needs to take it more professionally.  The last couple years everybody knew it was a punted season.  Well the punting is over.

Bill Walton hopefully never does a game I have a rooting interest in again.  The only good thing about that dude is he's a San Diego pumper.  I am too, what a fucking beautiful part of the country.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Bennetti is good, not great. Certainly nothing to b**** about. Especially whatever character flaws OP is dealing with and trying to project...

I do agree the chemistry with him and Stone isn’t the best though. They try to play up the new school vs old school shtick too much and need to drop the banter at times. Then again, we are talking about 3 straight years of pretty horrific baseball to watch in general so it’s possible the pair will be better when the team is actually playing meaningful baseball games in a playoff hunt. 

Also 10x better than what Hawk was his last 5 or so years