16 Team Playoffs in 2020 Agreed Upon

KrankinSox

1 minute ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

I really hope that isn't the case.  I'd quickly lose a lot of interest in baseball.

I know it! With this one decision, I care so much less about the start of the season. The urgency for wins and the possibility of a crazy last two weeks of the season...now it’s a formality. Boring.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So terrible for them to announce a major change to the rules like this 4 hours before the season starts. 

At least they finally agreed on something. It's interesting that the players wouldn't agree to it during the larger negotiations but agreed to it now. I wonder if the owners offered something for during the CBA discussions.

3 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

I really hope that isn't the case.  I'd quickly lose a lot of interest in baseball.

Its amazing how many fans believe adding more playoff teams will water down the game. I think it will be the opposite. The problem with baseball is that if you aren't a top 5 ish team in your league you are tanking and rebuilding. Then, you lose all of that talent you acquired to the big spenders. Adding more playoff teams will make teams actually try, which improves the quality of the game. It also means teams will try to keep their stars because they have more of a chance year in and year out. Right now we see the same 7 teams over and over again and everyone else is rebuilding or tanking. Even the middle of the pack teams are in and out of rebuilds and retools on the fly. My preference is top two seeds get a bye for having great seasons. The four other wild cards play a best of 5. In this scenario, the top teams actually get a reward for their hard work, and talented teams get a shot to extend their seasons. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Its amazing how many fans believe adding more playoff teams will water down the game. I think it will be the opposite. The problem with baseball is that if you aren't a top 5 ish team in your league you are tanking and rebuilding. Then, you lose all of that talent you acquired to the big spenders. Adding more playoff teams will make teams actually try, which improves the quality of the game. It also means teams will try to keep their stars because they have more of a chance year in and year out. Right now we see the same 7 teams over and over again and everyone else is rebuilding or tanking. Even the middle of the pack teams are in and out of rebuilds and retools on the fly. My preference is top two seeds get a bye for having great seasons. The four other wild cards play a best of 5. In this scenario, the top teams actually get a reward for their hard work, and talented teams get a shot to extend their seasons. 

"people will stop paying attention in august and September!"

as if that already doesn't happen.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really don’t like that at all long-term.  For this season I’m fine with whatever, but forcing a 100 win team to win a best of three series after a 162 game season seems crazy.

I agree and I really do not like the idea that long term they are wanting a pick your opponent playoff system.

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Going to try not to get into a back and forth here, but I think the next CBA needs to address tanking and the overall model of competition. But in the end, I want it to be difficult to make the postseason in baseball. That reflects the grind of 162. You win 86 to 89 games, there’s a good chance you’ll either come up just short or in the wildcard round. That’s exciting for the teams that make it, and hurts the teams that don’t. That’s what I like about the last couple weeks of the season.

1 minute ago, KrankinSox said:

Essentially this means Sox, Twins, and Indians are fighting for 2 guaranteed spots.

Let’s be honest, zero excuse for us not to make the playoffs when we play the Tigers, Royals, & Pirates 25 times.  If we can’t squeeze into that 8th and we are relatively healthy, I think it’s time for Ricky to be let go.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

Going to try not to get into a back and forth here, but I think the next CBA needs to address tanking and the overall model of competition. But in the end, I want it to be difficult to make the postseason in baseball. That reflects the grind of 162. You win 86 to 89 games, there’s a good chance you’ll either come up just short or in the wildcard round. That’s exciting for the teams that make it, and hurts the teams that don’t. That’s what I like about the last couple weeks of the season.

I'm all for difficulty if they make teams actually try to win. 

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If that’s the case, I’m actually all for this.  But then the second round would have six teams to work through right?  How does that work?

Should do 7 and 8 play a 3 game series to be the 7th team. 1 seed gets a bye to "third round" but really the 2nd after the play in round. Then 7 plays 2, 6 plays 3, and 5 plays 4 in a 5 game series. Lowest seed plays 1 in a 7 game series and two middle seeds play. Would be a lot of time off, but it would reward the best regular season team at least.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Let’s be honest, zero excuse for us not to make the playoffs when we play the Tigers, Royals, & Pirates 25 times.  If we can’t squeeze into that 8th and we are relatively healthy, I think it’s time for Ricky to be let go.

Yeah, if the Sox don't get in, something has gone horribly wrong.

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to 16 Team Playoffs in 2020 Agreed Upon