Backman called Gardenhire during Twins-Sox series

aboz56

As reported in today's Baseball Weekly:

The White Sox have no plans to interview Double-A manager Wally Backman for their managerial opening after learning that Backman was backstabbing former manager, Jerry Manuel.

Backman allegedly called Twins manager Ron Gardenhire (a teammate with the Mets in the 1980s) before their critical September series against the White Sox, telling him to "kick their (tails) so I can get Manuel's job."

"He was calling here all the time telling us how he wanted us to beat the White Sox," revealed one Twins coach. "It was brutal. Nice team guy, huh?"

Another Twins coach confirmed the story.

I wonder if the twins didn't tell some of the Sox players.  That would explain the mutiny they said would happen if he became manager...

Probably, something like that, does not stay secret. And it most likely wasn't the only time Backman sunk that low. Guys like that usually are always low lifes.

I think it sounds more like a couple of old friends shooting the breeze about Wally's future and Wally ribbing his friend about the fact that Ron's team could actually have an impact on Wally's chances at getting the Sox managerial position. Wally had absolutely nothing to gain from the Sox winning the central and a chance at everything he wanted if they didn't win it. If I were in his shoes I'd be rooting against the Sox too. Who cares? I really don't. If anything it shows his desire to manage this club and be able to do what he wants with it.

I think it sounds more like a couple of old friends shooting the breeze about Wally's future and Wally ribbing his friend about the fact that Ron's team could actually have an impact on Wally's chances at getting the Sox managerial position.  Wally had absolutely nothing to gain from the Sox winning the central and a chance at everything he wanted if they didn't win it.  If I were in his shoes I'd be rooting against the Sox too.  Who cares?  I really don't.  If anything it shows his desire to manage this club and be able to do what he wants with it.

It shows that he will stab anyone in the back to further his career. He's be the kind of manager to throw pitchers too many innings, and make injured players keep playing in the name of keeping his record good. f*** that.

It shows that he will stab anyone in the back to further his career.  He's be the kind of manager to throw pitchers too many innings, and make injured players keep playing in the name of keeping his record good.  f*** that.

Agreed. I was always a Wally Backer, but my support for him has immediately ended.

Now I want to see Guillen, Yount, or Cito Gaston.

What an absolute joke by Backman. I understand if you want the managerial job and if you want to root against for your organization go for it, but keep those thoughts to yourself.

Geeze thats pathetic. Especially the fact that he continually called him. I dont' think people wish injuries on players ahead of them so they can get a shot and I don't think a manager should wish for a team to suck so he could get the job.

No wonder Sox players made those comments.

Backman will be lucky to be retained in Birmingham.

And his shots of ever working in the big leagues with the Sox are over.

I see him leaving the organization and starting somewhere else in the minors.

Hopefully he'll make better decisions wherever he goes.

So long, Wally.

:fyou :fyou :fyou

Backman will be lucky to be retained in Birmingham.

And his shots of ever working in the big leagues with the Sox are over.

I see him leaving the organization and starting somewhere else in the minors.

Hopefully he'll make better decisions wherever he goes.

So long, Wally.

:fyou  :fyou  :fyou

He better learn from these mistakes, but I guarantee ya he's out of the organization. I wouldn't be shocked if Kenny has already told him.

Don't expect him to get interviewed.

Since when do we hang a guy based on a nameless quote in print??

I am not saying this did or didn't happen, but it certainly would surprise me if it did.

Call him all the names you want, but I am not going to get too carried away over a quote that has no one's name attributed to it. I would hope some of you would be smart enough to do the same.

Anybody got a link for this or is it in print only??

It's in Baseball Weekly, available on newsstands today, page 16.

Bob Nightengale wrote the article, so I'd consider it to be trustworthy. He wouldn't jeopardize his credibility as a baseball journalist over Wally Backman. In fact, I doubt he would even have a reason to mention Wally unless he was given this information by a credible source.

This isn't the National Enquirer we're dealing with, it's a publication owned by Gannett and USA Today.

His email is bnightengale@usatoday.com if you want to email him.