White Sox 30 Man Roster Announced

DirtySox

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They made some interesting decisions. I'm a little surprised they couldn't carry Fulmer on a 30 man roster.  I wonder if there's something else going on there.  So happy they're not carrying that Mercedes guy. He's a 4A hitter. Happy to see Lambert and Heuer but would have rather seen Dunning get one of those spots. Delmonico earned this chance.

Not sure how stretching guys out will work in Schaumburg, but I think that’s the plan for Dunning.

47 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

To add to above, that would have Gio pitching about once through the rotation while everyone else stretches out and he builds up his shoulder.  If his shoulder responds, he could swap with a ineffective starter or if his shoulder remains an issue he stays in the pen.  By the time the rosters are cut to 28 then 26, if he remains in pen, you could probably use him twice a week.  I doubt you want to use him more than that due to risking the shoulder.  Players like him or Lambert(TJ) you probably only warm up to use by the time rosters shrink.

Gio G racked up some nice part time numbers with the Brewmeisters last year. I am ok if he handles a 2/3 load of an SP. 

3 hours ago, daggins said:

End of an era here...the Carson Fulmer era..

Hope not, I know he's struggled, but would rather see him than Detwiler

Maybe a change of scenery would do him well, but really think he has a fairly bright future

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Cool for Jimmy Lambert to make it. Curious what kind of role he plays with this team.

Awesome kid, saw him before he was even a legitimate prospect, great guy

Hopefully he does well and his switch to the the 'pen doesn't hurt his development

3 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Why did Ross Detwiler make this team? 

He's done well, but really would love to see him elsewhere...Bad memories

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

He's a guy who can fill garbage innings, and eat up a bad start.

Rather see Fulmer

30 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Are two more cuts coming?  Roster resource shows us at 42 at the moment, which makes sense given were at 39, added four, and only cut one.  🤔

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-chicago-white-sox/

Hmmm.  Not much fat on the 40 man.  Seby could go.  Detwiler obviously, but its not him with him making roster.  

Only other guys would be Burdi, Dunning flores, Adolo, Hamilton, Basabe, Foster, Rutherford, and Ruiz.  Not really in a hurry to cut any of those guys.  

Headscratcher keeping Detwiler and Cuthburt around if its going to cost as an interesting young guy.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Are two more cuts coming?  Roster resource shows us at 42 at the moment, which makes sense given were at 39, added four, and only cut one.  🤔

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-chicago-white-sox/

Eventually. I was confused by this too. The White Sox are allowed to carry 42 players on the 40 man. Ruiz and Mazara are still on the COVID-DL. That counts like the 45/60 day DL where the players 40 man spots aren't currently counted. When those players get back though, the Sox will have to DFA two more players to accommodate. 

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Eventually. I was confused by this too. The White Sox are allowed to carry 42 players on the 40 man. Ruiz and Mazara are still on the COVID-DL. That counts like the 45/60 day DL where the players 40 man spots aren't currently counted. When those players get back though, the Sox will have to DFA two more players to accommodate. 

Thanks!  Will be interesting to see who gets cut when those guys are back.  Like @ChiSox59 said, there is not a lot of fat on the 40 man roster at the moment.

18 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Somehow our old friend Emilio Bonifacio earned a spot at age 35 on the Nationals' roster. 

That is unbelievable. If he did catch back on, you'd think it would be with a bottom feeder. In 2018 he was playing for the independent Atlantic League Long island Ducks. Among his teammates, how is this for a blast from the past? 41 year old Lorenzo Barcelo. Barcelo last pitched in the majors for our Sox in 2002, during which he appeared in 2 games. I don't know how many remember him, but he showed some promise out of the bullpen after a mid season callup as a young rookie in 2000, before quickly fizzling out. He had quite a likeable demeanor. Apparently, he spent the intervening years bouncing around Mexican, Dominican and Venezuelan leagues before joining the Ducks in '18 for one last hurrah.

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

That is unbelievable. If he did catch back on, you'd think it would be with a bottom feeder. In 2018 he was playing for the independent Atlantic League Long island Ducks. Among his teammates, how is this for a blast from the past? 41 year old Lorenzo Barcelo. Barcelo last pitched in the majors for our Sox in 2002, during which he appeared in 2 games. I don't know how many remember him, but he showed some promise out of the bullpen after a mid season callup as a young rookie in 2000, before quickly fizzling out. He had quite a likeable demeanor. Apparently, he spent the intervening years bouncing around Mexican, Dominican and Venezuelan leagues before joining the Ducks in '18 for one last hurrah.

I think people overestimate how many GOOD baseball players there are to go around. Each roster has some amount of bad players on it.  Some just have more than others.

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why do you want Yermin traded?

He hasn't gotten a fair shake here, and he may never. He should have gotten a chance last year, but players like AJ Reed and Matt Skole got play time over him. The guy is blocked by multiple others now. Yermin will mash, but with another team probably. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

He hasn't gotten a fair shake here, and he may never. He should have gotten a chance last year, but players like AJ Reed and Matt Skole got play time over him. The guy is blocked by multiple others now. Yermin will mash, but with another team probably. 

It should be telling that those kinds of players got play over Yermin.

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It should be telling that those kinds of players got play over Yermin.

Our front office makes boneheaded decisions?

Unless you are implying Yermin is more important than those players, and they didn't think he was ready. Those guys got pumped and dumped quickly.

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Our front office makes boneheaded decisions?

Unless you are implying Yermin is more important than those players, and they didn't think he was ready. Those guys got pumped and dumped quickly.

You are WAY to exited over the next Daniel Palka.

• Love 2

On 7/23/2020 at 1:15 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

Won’t matter in two weeks, because both guys would have been amongst the first cuts to get down to 28.

You never know. With Reylo out for however long , Herrera being Herrera,Gonzalez first experience in the Sox uni being a disaster and a bunch of TJ guys populating the staff,Detwiler may stick around and if Carson was kept there was a small chance he would be effective. Figures the one pitcher not to get TJ while with us turned out  so poorly. I really didn't think he pitched all that bad during spring and summer camps.