White Sox 30 Man Roster Announced

DirtySox

8 minutes ago, flavum said:

I don’t think I ever once thought he’d make it.

Based on your post, it appears you do too much thinking. Sometimes you just need to go with your gut. My gut tells me Yermin should have made the roster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daggins said:

If Gio is first up in long relief, then Detwiler is probably second, so it's not like he will see many innings. He's fungible.

I am interested in the plan for Gio. Can he pitch multiple days in a row? When he signed, did they tell him he wouldn't be starting? Is he slightly injured? I am a little surprised Lopez is the #3. 

They made some interesting decisions. I'm a little surprised they couldn't carry Fulmer on a 30 man roster.  I wonder if there's something else going on there.  So happy they're not carrying that Mercedes guy. He's a 4A hitter. Happy to see Lambert and Heuer but would have rather seen Dunning get one of those spots. Delmonico earned this chance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Based on your post, it appears you do too much thinking. Sometimes you just need to go with your gut. My gut tells me Yermin should have made the roster.

And play where? 4th in line for catching, at least 4th in line for DH?

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I am interested in the plan for Gio. Can he pitch multiple days in a row? When he signed, did they tell him he wouldn't be starting? Is he slightly injured? I am a little surprised Lopez is the #3. 

According to Hahn, he will provide "Length and insurance" out of the bullpen, so basically, he's first up if anyone is hurt or bad. At least, that's how I read it.

Really hope Mazara is back in a couple weeks. First, because of his health. But also I think he’ll be missed if he’s out too long.

A month from now:

in- Mazara, Madrigal, Goins

out- Detwiler, Lambert, Herrera, Cordero, Cuthbert, Delmonico, Collins

It’ll never really happen like this, but what the hey...

edit: Goins out, Cordero in. They’ll stick with 13 pitchers when it’s down to 26.

Edited by flavum

9 minutes ago, pcq said:

Are they hiding Gio G on us? Is he damaged goods? Maybe he's a second starter for guys who are not ready to go far. They had Cease #3 and now they have Lopez. No thanks.

Who knows. Maybe Gio wants to get in a game with the Sox, and then he hangs em up? I know that may be a stretch, but he’s not getting younger, and his arm health has been in question. He has said it means a lot to him to pitch at least one game with the team that drafted him.

4 minutes ago, flavum said:

Who knows. Maybe Gio wants to get in a game with the Sox, and then he hangs em up? I know that may be a stretch, but he’s not getting younger, and his arm health has been in question. He has said it means a lot to him to pitch at least one game with the team that drafted him.

We are keeping Gio G healthy so he can get us out of a bases loaded nobody out jam in the playoffs....It is his density destiny!!

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Man, I just watched the trilogy again this week...the first Back to the Future may be the perfect movie. It's just so well-crafted. 

Sorry, just seemed relevant. 

I've been watching BTTF since I was a toddler and it never gets old. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Man, I just watched the trilogy again this week...the first Back to the Future may be the perfect movie. It's just so well-crafted. 

Sorry, just seemed relevant. 

“1.21 Gigawatts!?!”

• Like 2

Maybe I'm autistic or something, but anyone else find it strange than 37% of the roster is comprised of players whose names begin with the first four letters of the alphabet, and 70% for the first ten letters? Makes me wonder if they have lists of players to acquire and they find someone they like before they get to the end of the list.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Maybe I'm autistic or something, but anyone else find it strange than 37% of the roster is comprised of players whose names begin with the first four letters of the alphabet, and 70% for the first ten letters? Makes me wonder if they have lists of players to acquire and they find someone they like before they get to the end of the list.

Now that is a deep dive in to the roster there....nicely done.

I wonder if Gio Gonzales shoulder is 100% yet.  I wouldn't be surprised if he is used/designed to piggy back with either Lopez or Cease.  They would be our most erratic starters and are listed as 3 and 4.  With the short season producing shorter leashes and early season pitch counts, I could see Lopez or Cease reaching a pitch limit early even if they are effective around inning 4.  Gio could be first guy in and cover say 2-3 more innings getting you deeper into our pen.  With those starters being RH and Gio LH it also may give favorable matchups or force early pinch hitting.  

To add to above, that would have Gio pitching about once through the rotation while everyone else stretches out and he builds up his shoulder.  If his shoulder responds, he could swap with a ineffective starter or if his shoulder remains an issue he stays in the pen.  By the time the rosters are cut to 28 then 26, if he remains in pen, you could probably use him twice a week.  I doubt you want to use him more than that due to risking the shoulder.  Players like him or Lambert(TJ) you probably only warm up to use by the time rosters shrink.

Edited by BamaDoc
  • Like 1