Opening Day Game Thread: Twins @ White Sox, 7:10 PM CT

Jose Abreu

My last Opening Day thread was in 2016, a 4-3 win in Oakland. Let's ignore the rest of that season, we want good vibes here. I can't remember the last time I actually expected us to make the playoffs. No matter how/if we get there, these next few months will be fun. Buckle up

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Like 3

• Quin pinned this topic

White Sox starters vs. Berrios:

• Abreu: 35 AB, 1 BB, 12 K, 1 HR, .257 BA, .708 OPS
  • Garcia: 25 AB, 0 BB, 6 K, 1 HR, .240 BA, .600 OPS
  • Moncada: 24 AB, 3 BB, 6 K, 1H, .250 BA, .792 OPS
  • Anderson: 24 AB, 0 BB, 6 K, 0 HR, .167 BA, .375 OPS
  • Encarnacion: 18 AB, 0 BB, 5 K, 1 HR, .222 BA, .611 OPS
  • Jimenez: 13 AB, 0 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, .308 BA, .846 OPS
  • Delmonico: 8 AB, 3 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, .250 BA, 1.080 OPS
  • Grandal: 2 AB, 0 BB, 0 K, 0, HR, .000 BA, .000 OPS

Let’s hope Giolito pitches well tonight...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I have a prediction that this will be the most exciting baseball season of ours lives... March Madness-esque.  Let the COVID CUP begin!

It certainly should be for Sox fans.  This is a team that should compete in a 162 game season and should be playoff bound in the 60 game season with expanded playoffs.  Every game, however, will be critical.  There will be plenty of excitement, cheering, swearing, and beer-drinking over the next two plus months.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, runtheballdown said:

Actually now that they are letting Almost every team in the playoffs every game is not as critical as it was before the playoff

format change. It’s more important to get in the playoffs and be the healthiest team.

I would argue that having a good season is more important now, especially for teams that would be expected to win 28-32 games.  There's going to be a glut of teams around .500, and an extra win or two could be the difference between being in second place and third place in the division.

Just now, bmags said:

Anyone have any good ideas on how to make opening day special at home?

I'm going to pick up a 12-pack of Goose Island Sox Ale for the game.  Then I'm going to commandeer the largest TV in the house and declare that only those who will actually watch the game will be allowed to enter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

I'm going to pick up a 12-pack of Goose Island Sox Ale for the game.  Then I'm going to commandeer the largest TV in the house and declare that only those who will actually watch the game will be allowed to enter.

Lol, I have my 12 pack already. Tv, not a problem. Was thinking about trying to find the nacho helmet.

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If the White Sox can pull a 13-7 mark against the Twins and Indians this year, it will punch their ticket to the playoffs.  Let tonight be win #1.

I think 13-7 is wildly optimistic. I think even .500 against MIN and CLE combined would be sufficient. 

Berrios will be a tough match-up tonight he seems to own our guys. Hopefully we can steal one tonight.

6 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I think 13-7 is wildly optimistic. I think even .500 against MIN and CLE combined would be sufficient. 

Berrios will be a tough match-up tonight he seems to own our guys. Hopefully we can steal one tonight.

I didn't say it would or wouldn't happen.  I am just saying that advantage will be enough to overcome whatever happens on the rest of the schedule.  For the record, last year we were 11-8 vs Cle and 6-13 vs Min, which works out to 17-21 combined.  Also of note is that Cle won the season series against MN by a 10-9 mark.

Records versus each other last year...

MN 22-16

CLE 18-20

SOX 17-21