Opening Day Game Thread: Twins @ White Sox, 7:10 PM CT

Jose Abreu

4 hours ago, runtheballdown said:

Actually now that they are letting Almost every team in the playoffs every game is not as critical as it was before the playoff

format change. It’s more important to get in the playoffs and be the healthiest team.

Yeah, its a bummer. To me, the upside of the 60 game schedule was the potential for a run of frantic baseball, but the expanded playoffs has pretty much squelched that. The twelve best teams are just going to be on cruise control. Not much of an advantage for winning home field this year to offset it either. If you're sitting there at 24-16, its inevitable the thought is going to creep in that you only need to win another six games probably to get in. And if you are faced with the prospect of facing the Dodgers, for example, in either a three or seven game series, which would you prefer? I think I'd go with a three game series. So you could theoretically see teams tanking in the last few games to get a lower seed after they have clinched a spot.

I know you don't want it for the long term, but does anyone else get a smile on their face when here on the opening day for the beginning of the Sox World Series window, the starting lineup has in RF a true grinder Nicky Delmonico.  

4 hours ago, hogan873 said:

I would argue that having a good season is more important now, especially for teams that would be expected to win 28-32 games.  There's going to be a glut of teams around .500, and an extra win or two could be the difference between being in second place and third place in the division.

I'm not so sure about that. Last year in the AL the closest teams to .500 were 84-78 and 78-84.  Everyone else either won 93+ or 72 or less.  The eighth seed would have been 78-84 Texas Rangers, who would have cruised into the playoffs with a 6 game lead Boston would have been virtually locked in at 7 for at least a couple of weeks with little to no chance to overtake Tampa, or little chance to be caught by Texas. Not that it would have mattered much if they were. It would have taken a miracle for the ninth place White Sox to bump them from the playoffs. I'm not going to do the math, but i'd imagine that would have been mathematically at the extremely improbable, number approaching zero range for half the season . Under the current format, last season would have been an absolute snooze fest.

I bet Moncada sits tomorrow afternoon no matter what, so make it count tonight, Yo!

(thinking about it, not sure I want Moncada off the field when Keuchel is out there. Sit Sunday.)

Edited by flavum

The 72 win teams that would have been what would have to be considered the challengers to the eighth seed would be the equivalent of a 26-34 team this year. So basically the only teams who have any hope of challenging the last seeds are the horse shit ones. Sounds exciting.

That said, with the Sox in the position they are in, still looking forward to this, but really this is a joke. I'd rather see if they could pull off 35 wins and get in the old fashion way, and if not look forward to the future seasons of sustained success that appear to be on the horizon.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Less than 5 hours for the White Sox to trade Gio Gonzalez one last time before he actually throws a pitch for the palehose.

And then he goes on the IL.

I want to know what the story is with Ian Hamilton. He was optioned to Charlotte instead of going to Schaumburg, so is it possible he’s still in Chicago waiting for Gio to make his one appearance?

1 minute ago, flavum said:

I want to know what the story is with Ian Hamilton. He was optioned to Charlotte instead of going to Schaumburg, so is it possible he’s still in Chicago waiting for Gio to make his one appearance?

Good thought.  I would guess Hamilton is the first one up if anything happens so you could be correct.

5 minutes ago, flavum said:

I don't see any mention of this in the roster thread...who is the 3-person taxi squad that travels with the team? Do they get a different designation from the Schaumburg team?

5 minutes ago, flavum said:

Is that that case though?  The option to Charlotte is for the 30 man roster, but does that also apply to the 60 man list?  I think  you can optioned and still be on the 60.

51 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Screenshot_20200724-140418.jpg

Not sure why Nicky is playing. He can't hit and neither can Engel. Against the Twins I am more concerned about outfield defense than maybe getting a single from one of those two. I would assume that position is going ofer and would take the great defense. 

3 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I just bought two cases of the white sox goose island beer and will go to town this weekend. Thanks to expanded playoffs, I may be going to town after the season is over. 

Lol...nice!  Wish I still lived in Chicago so I could get some myself.  No idea if it actually tastes good, but damn does the can look pretty as fuck.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

I like the lineup. I was done with Nicky but I'm actually really excited for him this year. He has such a sweet swing, and the shoulder injury sounds terrible. I hope he kills it.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Vulture said:

The 72 win teams that would have been what would have to be considered the challengers to the eighth seed would be the equivalent of a 26-34 team this year. So basically the only teams who have any hope of challenging the last seeds are the horse shit ones. Sounds exciting.

That said, with the Sox in the position they are in, still looking forward to this, but really this is a joke. I'd rather see if they could pull off 35 wins and get in the old fashion way, and if not look forward to the future seasons of sustained success that appear to be on the horizon.

You think a 72 win team would have a chance at an 8 seed? No way. The 81-81 Phillies would have missed the playoffs last year. The 78 win Rangers would have been the 8 seed in the AL. 

Just now, bmags said:

I like the lineup. I was done with Nicky but I'm actually really excited for him this year. He has such a sweet swing, and the shoulder injury sounds terrible. I hope he kills it.

I don't think there's a way you could arrange that lineup, assuming those last two guys are always behind the first seven, that's worth getting worked up about.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wegner said:

Based on what the Twins leadoff hitter does this evening, I will crack open one of the following:

Strikeout:  Sox Golden Ale

Groundout:  Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin'

Flyout:  Gumballhead

Any hit:  Star Chicken Shotgun

I actually want to open the Star Chicken but hope I don't have to :gosoxretro:

I’ll predict you’ll be drinking Gumballhead tonight and honestly if the Twins start off with a flyout I may just do the same since I have actually have a six pack here in Nashville!