7/25 GT - Twins at Sox - 1:10pm

3 minutes ago, Vulture said:

They've got to put Engel in the lineup. Delmonico isn't a good enough hitter to justify the drop off in defense. Great having a lefty bat in the lineup but it doesn't mean much if its a poor one. Then you've got the lefty bat off the bench to use we you need it most, although I'd probably go with Collins first anyway

To be fair, Nicky had a 0-fer today but had a couple of very nice at bats.  Especially the 13 pitch at bat that helped to get us into the Twins bullpen earlier in the game.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

To be fair, Nicky had a 0-fer today but had a couple of very nice at bats.  Especially the 13 pitch at bat that helped to get us into the Twins bullpen earlier in the game.

Still, if you're talking about two mediocre hitters at best, when you have plenty of good hitters in the lineup and on the bench, go with the vastly superior defender rather than the debatably, slightly superior offensive player. We should always have a decent bat off the bench to come in if necessary in a pivotal situation.

The Sox should try to extend McCann.  IMO, McCann's value has been underrated. There is more to catching than "framing." McCann excels at handling pitchers and calling pitches.  He studies hitters and knows what to call.  He definitely should be Giolito's catcher.

I am worried about tomorrow with the Twins dialing it up to hit fastballs.  We need another Keuchel / Buehrle type against the Twins. 

RR has to be ready to go to the pen early and the Sox have to pound again.

12 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Still, if you're talking about two mediocre hitters at best, when you have plenty of good hitters in the lineup and on the bench, go with the vastly superior defender rather than the debatably, slightly superior offensive player. We should always have a decent bat off the bench to come in if necessary in a pivotal situation.

I don't disagree with you necessarily.  I just wanted to give Nicky some props for what he contributed today.  

7 minutes ago, tray said:

The Sox should try to extend McCann.  IMO, McCann's value has been underrated. There is more to catching than "framing." McCann excels at handling pitchers and calling pitches.  He studies hitters and knows what to call.  He definitely should be Giolito's catcher.

I am worried about tomorrow with the Twins dialing it up to hit fastballs.  We need another Keuchel / Buehrle type against the Twins. 

RR has to be ready to go to the pen early and the Sox have to pound again.

I think that shipped sailed as soon as we signed Grandal.  McCann thinks he should be a primary MLB Catcher and not a backup so he is gone after this year.  But he is damn valuable especially in this sprint of a season.

Edited by wegner

IMO, Collins adds nothing to this roster and nothing to our catching core or Grandal/McCann.  He is a LH hitter like Grandal so he is of no extra value , i.e., in a RH/LH hitting platoon.  I question his game calling skills after watching him last year looking into the dugout for pitch selection. He doesn't impress me as the brightest tool in the shed.  He walks a lot but then he clogs up the bases.

Well, I agree on being a fan of a thirteen pitch at bat as well. If you're going to make an out, that is the way to do it. I'd even go so far as to say there might even be a rare occurrence where a 13 pitch out might be preferable to a first pitch base hit.

2 minutes ago, tray said:

IMO, Collins adds nothing to this roster and nothing to our catching core or Grandal/McCann.  He is a LH hitter like Grandal so he is of no extra value , i.e., in a RH/LH hitting platoon.  I question his game calling skills after watching him last year looking into the dugout for pitch selection. He doesn't impress me as the brightest tool in the shed.  He walks a lot but then he clogs up the bases.

His immediate value is allowing Grandal and McCann to be in the game at the same time, and allow them to come off the bench to pinch hit without worrying about using Leury as emergency catcher. Secondarily he is a pretty good left handed hitter himself

Beyond that his offensive upside is pretty high and vastly underrated around here imo 

• Thanks 1

We've gotten spoiled with Moncada, Jimenez and Robert. With Vaughn, IMO, that gives us four guys in the last couple of years who are or were essentially can't miss prospects. But can't miss prospects don't come around that often. Collins is a notch below that, but he still has very good potential. A few years ago we would have been hanging our hat on him.

Just now, poppysox said:

l  Iike Engel a lot in the backup role.  The catch in the rf corner shows why he belongs on this team.  

Definitely.  Plus defense with decent speed. Like scooter said if he can hit right around 260 he's worth the roster spot.

6 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

Nice seeing Lambert come in poised. Looked good first time out.

If it makes sense, he looked like he had the poise of a guy who came in to start the game.

I've got a feeling he and Gio G are going to be super valuable in the pen as swingmen in this weirdass season, with guys on tight leashes.