7/25 GT - Twins at Sox - 1:10pm

25 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Oof, that lineup

I understand not having Grandal catch a day game after a night game, but presumably Ricky knew he was going to do this so why not have McCann catch Giolito last night and face Berrios who he has hit 4 career HRs off. McCann should never catch Keuchel.

This. Exactly this. I've hated Renteria's lineups for how substandard they've been throughout his tenure here.

Finding advantageous matches to maximize whatever talent you have is essential for a manager.

• Thanks 1

Fascinating that when KNOW you’re having a day game after a night game and that Giolito is super comfortable with McCann AND Grandal’s greatest strength is stealing low strikes for pitchers like Keuchel, you start Grandal last nigh and McCann today.  It’s not that hard, is it?

• Like 4

McCann worked with Giolito like hand and glove last year.  So maybe stay with what worked.

The line-up is debatable . I would prefer Robert and Eloy up there. Why? The top three guys have speed on the bases and Eloy seems like a bigger threat  for pitchers than Abreu at this point. 

1. Tim Anderson

2. Yoan Moncada

3. Luis Robert

4. Eloy Jiminez

Every loss seems like 2 losses with this shortened schedule....especially against a division rival.

Today and Sunday are must wins.

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Fascinating that when KNOW you’re having a day game after a night game and that Giolito is super comfortable with McCann AND Grandal’s greatest strength is stealing low strikes for pitchers like Keuchel, you start Grandal last nigh and McCann today.  It’s not that hard, is it?

great points 

can u be the manager plz? 

4 minutes ago, tray said:

McCann worked with Giolito like hand and glove last year.  So maybe stay with what worked.

The line-up is debatable . I would prefer Robert and Eloy up there. Why? The top three guys have speed on the bases and Eloy seems like a bigger threat  for pitchers than Abreu at this point. 

1. Tim Anderson

2. Yoan Moncada

3. Luis Robert

4. Eloy Jiminez

Every loss seems like 2 losses with this shortened schedule....especially against a division rival.

Today and Sunday are must wins.

Just don’t get swept.

The one consolation from underachieving this year would be a new manager from outside the organization and a few more innovative coaches for 2021 as well, but hardly counting on it.

9 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I ageee. Gotta go with Mendick at 2B with Leury in RF.

Meh.

I seem to recall Mendick had a shitty defensive game the other day as well. He's not exactly a gold glover, either. Like Leury, he's probably either a barely-cromulent utility player, or a AAAA type.

I'm ambivalent about the 2B role at the moment.

Once this roster is purged of most of these types (Mendick, Delmonico, Engel, Leury  possibly Mazara), we should be in position to compete.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

39 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Oof, that lineup

I understand not having Grandal catch a day game after a night game, but presumably Ricky knew he was going to do this so why not have McCann catch Giolito last night and face Berrios who he has hit 4 career HRs off. McCann should never catch Keuchel.

RR did not want to hurt Grandal's feelings by not starting him on Opening Day.  He could have just switched catchers,  Too easy.  Or, he could have switched pitchers and have Keuchel start the opener, but then Gio's feelings might be hurt.  Can't have that either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, oldsox said:

RR did not want to hurt Grandal's feelings by not starting him on Opening Day.  He could have just switched catchers,  Too easy.  Or, he could have switched pitchers and have Keuchel start the opener, but then Gio's feelings might be hurt.  Can't have that either.

We need a firm hand more than a friendly backslapper next year.

53 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Oof, that lineup

Maybe because Hill was supposed to pitch today and McCann crushes lefties, but not exactly sure when they announced that change.  And right or wrong, playing on OD is kind of an honor and that played into it to some extent as well.

and, RR may not want to hurt Abreu's feelings  by taking him out of the clean-up spot.

24 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Was coming on to post this.  It’s absolutely insane.

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Just don’t get swept.

The one consolation from underachieving this year would be a new manager from outside the organization and a few more innovative coaches for 2021 as well, but hardly counting on it.

It’s the same owner that won’t fire Boylen

20 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

If leury is going to be in the lineup and you need to break up the righties then he should be the one hitting 6th. Hes been great as a lefty the last two seasons and it's where a lot of his value lies. But yeah I'd rather see him as our starting RFer and Mendick in at 2B

Leury?  Dude has been horrible as a lefty and pretty good as a righty.

Yesterday was tough to handle because of the anticipation and excitement. Hopefully Sox fans have moved on and can take a deep breath knowing we will probably lose at least 25 more games. The extra 3 playoff spots affords us a week to figure things out. Hopefully the boys can bring one home this afternoon.