7/26 GT - Twins at Sox - 1:10pm

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm not in the clubhouse and certainly not going to critique sitting Moncada. I'm pretty sure Renteria would like to play Moncada over not play him. I'm pretty sure everyone would, but he had Corona and was out for a while and has been back for like 10 days. Every team in baseball is grabbing rest early this season.

Again though, lineup construction matters very little. Given how short the lead up was to this season, rest was inevitable early.

I’m not overly concerned about the actual lineup construction, but not having Moncada against Maeda is a big deal IMO.  I get resting your guys, but it’s only been two games and we’re facing our biggest divisional threat here.  Just feels like we are setting ourselves for a loss when we rest our best hitter against RHP while also having our biggest question mark making the start today.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I mean an optimal lineup - which literally no manager is setting daily - is worth like 1.5 wins over 162 game season. If you accept that it's worth maybe 8 runs over 162 games, which is a pretty accepted estimate, it's just meaningless to sit here and ridicule a managers choice on lineups.

The fact is, a sub-optimal lineup will outperform an optimal one plenty of times throughout the course of the season because the differences are so small in the expected run scoring.

you went from "lineups don't matter" to "they can be worth up to 1.5 extra wins".  I mean, it's clear they do matter and in a condensed season you can argue the extra .5 expected win is just as important as the 1.5 over 162.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It’s that hunch thing that Moncada won’t match up well with this style of pitcher.

Of course, Robert, Jimenez and Abreu are likely to be susceptible to the same pitches.

Pretty sure that Eloy, Abreu, & Encarnacion all get attacked by sliders down & our far more often than Moncada does.  Robert will likely fall into that group for the time being as well.

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

No. A starting pitchers job is to give his team a chance to win today's ballgame and in almost a third of his starts Lopez does not do that and it's unacceptable.  He's way too wildly inconsistent to be a starting pitcher.

A fifth starter that has very good stuff 2/3 of the time?  I don't think any pitcher has his best stuff 100% of the time.  1/3 is too much...and as I stated earlier I was ready to give up on him...but he's only 26 and its not impossible for him to get better.  I mean he HAS the stuff.  He just needs to be more consistent.  We were all ready to give up on Giolito last year in April.  

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

Because if you were paying attention at all, Moncada coming back from COVID was going to be an issue from the start, Ricky said multiple times they weren’t going to rush him back, and really monitor the situation. 

Today is supposed to very humid at the park. You guys can b**** all you want about in-game strategy with Ricky, but I trust the coaching staff on player health and well-being a hell of a lot more than you guys. 

If this a safety concern then I get it.  Didn’t realize they were actually planning to rest him a bit this early given how fast he was rushed back.  I assumed he was more or less 100%.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

5 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

A fifth starter that has very good stuff 2/3 of the time?  I don't think any pitcher has his best stuff 100% of the time.  1/3 is too much...and as I stated earlier I was ready to give up on him...but he's only 26 and its not impossible for him to get better.  I mean he HAS the stuff.  He just needs to be more consistent.  We were all ready to give up on Giolito last year in April.  

They are two very different pitchers.  I don't think Lopez is capable of making the massive changes like Giolito did to become the pitcher he is today.

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

Because if you were paying attention at all, Moncada coming back from COVID was going to be an issue from the start, Ricky said multiple times they weren’t going to rush him back, and really monitor the situation. 

Today is supposed to very humid at the park. You guys can b**** all you want about in-game strategy with Ricky, but I trust the coaching staff on player health and well-being a hell of a lot more than you guys. 

Not to mention we have no idea what condition any of these guys are in besides the obvious ones who got sick.

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They are two very different pitchers.  I don't think Lopez is capable of making the massive changes like Giolito did to become the pitcher he is today.

In his ten best starts last year Lopez was 8-0 with a 0.80 ERA, struck out 11 per 9 and 3 1/2 to 1 strikeout to walk ratio.  That's not a single fluky start...that's a third of the season.  And Lopez the year before, at 24, was pretty good with sub 4 ERA in 32 starts.  There is something there.  To say he can't put it all together is just too pessimistic.  Fulmer basically strung together nothing so to say he just needed to put it together was too optimistic.   

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

you went from "lineups don't matter" to "they can be worth up to 1.5 extra wins".  I mean, it's clear they do matter and in a condensed season you can argue the extra .5 expected win is just as important as the 1.5 over 162.

1.5 wins over 162 games IF you set the optimal lineup every single day. No manager in baseball is doing that and health/rest alone makes that impossible. This season is 60 games so it wouldn't even be worth a win.

13 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

In his ten best starts last year Lopez was 8-0 with a 0.80 ERA, struck out 11 per 9 and 3 1/2 to 1 strikeout to walk ratio.  That's not a single fluky start...that's a third of the season.  And Lopez the year before, at 24, was pretty good with sub 4 ERA in 32 starts.  There is something there.  To say he can't put it all together is just too pessimistic.  Fulmer basically strung together nothing so to say he just needed to put it together was too optimistic.   

I agree. Lopez has what it takes and just like any young starting pitcher needs to find a level of consistency. I know many think he will never reach that consistency but no way in hell do you give up on him being a starter. That said he does need to get it together today or this will be one ugly game thread.

Right now everyone is hyped about Cease because of one dominant start in an intrasquad game against basically the B lineup. Lopez has had great starts in 2 years worth of starts plenty of times. Just not as often as we would like.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

11 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Just checking...in 2018 he gave up 2 or fewer runs in 20 of his 32 starts.  Difference between last year and 2018 is he had more terrible starts last year.  Doesn't that seem like a thing that coaching can fix?  

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I agree. Lopez has what it takes and just like any young starting pitcher needs to find a level of consistency. I know many think he will never reach that consistency but no way in hell do you give up on him being a starter. That said he does need to get it together today or this will be one ugly game thread.

Yeah...I think it's fair to be worried about today.  This Twins offense is really good...and Lopez gives up lots of fly balls and homers...except when he's dominant which he CAN be.  I don't think Maeda can be dominant...I think the Sox score 5 today and its up to Lopez to stop them from getting five.   If Lopez can be good?  The ceiling for this team is otherworldly.  

3 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Just checking...in 2018 he gave up 2 or fewer runs in 20 of his 32 starts.  Difference between last year and 2018 is he had more terrible starts last year.  Doesn't that seem like a thing that coaching can fix?  

If I remember 2018 correctly many saw 2018 as flukish for Rey because his FIP or xFIP wasn't great and 2019 proved many of the his doubters right. That's why so many overlook his many really good starts.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If I remember 2018 correctly many saw 2018 as flukish for Rey because his FIP or xFIP wasn't great and 2019 proved many of the his doubters right. That's why so many overlook his many really good starts.

Ok now I'm down the rabbit hole.  Last year...Reylo's terrible year...he was 34th in the AL for highest percent of quality starts at 45%.  Blake Snell was less likely than Reylo to have a quality start.  To suggest that a fifth starter can't be bad 1/3 of his starts?  I think almost no 5th starters WEREN'T bad in 1/3 of their starts....and when Reylo was good he was very good.    

• Like 1