7/26 GT - Twins at Sox - 1:10pm

16 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I don't think it's time to panic after three games against a team that beat our brains in last year. I will say that ReyLo was the worst SP in the American League last year and that if Kopech had not opted out (and if the White Sox decided not to yank him around for service time) he would not be in the rotation.  Cease has looked very good and is our real #3 starter. Robert has looked very good so far.  Go get 'em tomorrow night and you're .500

That said, whatever they are trying against Nelson Cruz, they should try something different.

I know that the Twins have a whole lotta pop in their lineup but at this point, you gotta make someone else beat you and pitch around Cruz imho.

• Like 1

These two losses remind me of the last year, and the year before that, and the year before that. Empty stadium and White Sox pitching gets pounded without mercy. 

Losing two of the first three is no need to panic as bad as these losses were. But I, too, was taken aback by the tone of Benneti and Stone. They really sounded like they were giving up on expectations already. Are they really trying to tell us that Sox pitching is still bad? I thought the Twins had to be favored, but I didn't think the Sox should concede the division to them. What happened to how exciting this team was going to be? What is what this manic-depressive stuff?

Edited by NWINFan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I like Delmonico a lot...but I don't want to watch him play baseball.

To paraphrase Renteria, Nicky always has those Hollywood good looks to fall back on.

Edited by wegner

41 minutes ago, tray said:

Benetti said that no one expected the Sox to contend with the Twins this season.  Wut?

3 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

These two losses remind me of the last year, and the year before that, and the year before that. Empty stadium and White Sox pitching gets pounded without mercy. 

Losing two of the first three is no need to panic as bad as these losses were. But I, too, was taken aback by the tone of Benneti and Stone. They really sounded like they were giving up on expectations already. Are they really trying to tell us that Sox pitching is still bad? I thought the Twins had to be favored, but I didn't think the Sox should concede the division to them. What happened to how exciting this team was going to be? What is what this manic-depressive stuff?

38 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

FO already trying to use the broadcasters as organs of the PR dept.

Nice.

I mean, did you guys? Once Kopech was done, I didn't actually think the Sox would win the division or even come within 4-5 games. I hope I'm wrong, but Lopez is bad, Cease will be up and down and Giolito is probably a really good #2, not an ace. It's okay to think that way.

58 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Dunning and Lambert have been pitching primarily out of the bullpen.  I don't know how long it will take for them to get stretched out to be able to go 4-5 innings for a start.  Gonzalez appears to be the only option here. 

And keep in mind, Dunning and Lambert both are coming back from TJ.   That's also a big factor.   I think we are fine in hiding one TJ comeback in the rotation with Rodon being #5 and able to skip him occasionally, Not sure you can have 2/5 of the rotation being under a "stress watch" due to TJ. 

Lopez sucking this bad early is a really big deal.  ttr

I could see Gonz on a field trip to the IL. Coaches should have known Lopez was not ready to start. Really bad day at the office. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Butter Parque said:

Are you 4 years old?

Why? lol

If you couldn't tell that I was clearly being facetious in each of those individual replies. I question if you are 4 years old, sir. Perhaps you're socially challenged?

When I said that Yoan Moncada was probably "dead in a gutter" based on how the day had gone. A part of your brain should have activated which signals to normal, socially functional people "Hey, this guy is messing around". 

Your brain failed to do that. Interesting. 

Edited by Richie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

I mean, did you guys? Once Kopech was done, I didn't actually think the Sox would win the division or even come within 4-5 games. I hope I'm wrong, but Lopez is bad, Cease will be up and down and Giolito is probably a really good #2, not an ace. It's okay to think that way.

I agree that Kopech opting out really hurts because he could easily be the ace here (even over Giolito). 

Its not that the expectation was they'd win the division over MIN the expectation was we wouldn't get totally THROTTLED by them twice in three games at home. If we lose we lose i get it thats prolly the best opponent all year but they shouldn't be getting beat down by them. The gap shouldn't be massive.

Also it is reasonable for fans to expect the manager to make at least a halfway decent effort at trying to win the game. Not putting all righties in against a righty killer. Not giving our best LHH option a day off when at the least he can DH. Not being apparently oblivious to our opponents changes in SP and not putting a AAA player in the 2 hole. 

These are basic and reasonable expectations for a fan base to have.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I agree that Kopech opting out really hurts because he could easily be the ace here (even over Giolito). 

Its not that the expectation was they'd win the division over MIN the expectation was we wouldn't get totally THROTTLED by them twice in three games at home. If we lose we lose i get it thats prolly the best opponent all year but they shouldn't be getting beat down by them. The gap shouldn't be massive.

Also it is reasonable for fans to expect the manager to make at least a halfway decent effort at trying to win the game. Not putting all righties in against a righty killer. Not giving our best LHH option a day off when at the least he can DH. Not being apparently oblivious to our opponents changes in SP and not putting a AAA player in the 2 hole. 

And neither Stone or Benetti said different. What you just said was, in short "the Sox won't compete with the Twins because their pitching isn't great, MIN is good, and Renteria stinks." The only difference with what you said and what they said is everything after "with the Twins." They know RR is a dope. They know the pitching isn't awesome. They know the Twins are good.

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I think Tiger Woods already apologized for this one about twenty years ago...or was it schitzo?

This whole "hard/tough guy" mentality thing is ridiculous.   We're becoming a society of thugs and lacking in basic common decency as well as a sense of empathy for our fellow human beings.

What? How is this related to a "tough guy" mentality? lol. It sounds like this is a personal thing for you. A deep seeded issue from your childhood that you have with a very particular type of person. Something you need to work out psychologically, perhaps? 

If anything, our entire culture is now based around catering to each individual's sensitivities. You can't publicly tell a joke anymore without checking about 27 boxes in your brain before firing it out. I mean, look at what happened in this thread over a simple word which means "slow in development" by definition. 

Give me a break. Good lord. What world do you live in?

Good luck in your search of moral virtue. 

Edited by Richie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Richie said:

What? lol. If anything, our entire culture is now based around catering to each individual's sensitivities. You can't publicly tell a joke anymore without checking about 27 boxes in your brain before firing it out. I mean, look at what happened in this thread over a simple word which means "slow in development" by definition. 

Give me a break. Good lord. What world do you live in?

Good luck in your search of moral virtue. 

Todd, is that you?

Just now, Richie said:

Yes

Like OMG OMG OMG!!!! Ok ok ok ok... wow... like just OMG WOW!!!! Holy. What????? Keep it together, keep it together.

I... um... you... um... Like...

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!! 

It’s just that like you, I mean I CAN’T BELIEVE IT!!!! Wow!!!! OMG!!!

You’re like the best.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yes, getting pounded is something that makes things worse. Yes, of course, Minnesota has a great offense but giving up 24 runs in two games at home is a bit much.  You are right; the gap shouldn't be that massive.

Then again, maybe the expectations for this pitching staff should be more realistic. I really didn't expect much out of Kopech, and I certainly don't expect much out of Lopez. At least the team can hit.

17 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Yes, getting pounded is something that makes things worse. Yes, of course, Minnesota has a great offense but giving up 24 runs in two games at home is a bit much.  You are right; the gap shouldn't be that massive.

Then again, maybe the expectations for this pitching staff should be more realistic. I really didn't expect much out of Kopech, and I certainly don't expect much out of Lopez. At least the team can hit.

We need to see another good season from Giolito before he is annointed an ace. Our Hope's always laid with assuming our pitches would take that next step. It's scary to think about thi gas going sideways, but there is a chance. 

32 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

We need to see another good season from Giolito before he is annointed an ace. Our Hope's always laid with assuming our pitches would take that next step. It's scary to think about thi gas going sideways, but there is a chance. 

Everything about Giolito's season last year pointed to it being repeatable. That being said, I'm not sure he's ever going to have the command to be a true ace. Even last year, his command stats were below average. Giolito might be a very good #2 but unless he can put the ball where he wants to more often, he's going to have games like he did Friday against good offenses. Giolito might have a career like Trevor Bauer where he has really dominant seasons and seasons where you say WTF, he's better than that. Everyone knows that I think he's a good pitcher. Does Giolito have the stuff and the chance to develop into an ace? Absolutely. Will he ever harness his pitches well enough to actually get there is the question. 

Anyway, I think he'll be fine and figure it out eventually. I just hope it's not too late and the Sox have dug themselves too big of a hole before he does so. This is a different and unusual season, and I wouldn't make any long-term proclamations based on 60 games in a weird season during a global pandemic. The stress of that affects everyone differently and we're all human, even athletes. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

OMG Robert and Moncada are going to beast. 

Also, the way the Twins teed off on Sox pitching made me wonder if there's some pitch tipping or something else fishy going on. They were all over everything. There's just something fishy about 10+ HR in a 3 game series by one team. Sox pitching isn't that bad. 

Edited by Jack Parkman