7/26 GT - Twins at Sox - 1:10pm

6 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Oh bite me.  Retard came into our lexicon because “moron and idiot” were thought to be too offensive, then soft people like yourself started taking offense to retard for the same reason.  20 years from now youll be saying disabled is an offensive term

and you know what, i mean it with offense towards ricky.  The guy is a buffoon.  A moron.  An idiot.

People (and their family) who have a mental disability strongly prefer the word isn’t used. So, people with basic human decency avoid using it in that context, as there are plenty of other words you can use to convey the same message. 

But like I said. Basic human decency. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, since we're the only industrialized country in the world pretty much forcing 10-18 year old kids back into school (S.Korea evidence of high transmission rates is pretty stout there from January-March)...and also the only one with a Congress/Parliament looking into ways to PROTECT corporations from citizens via liability protections/indemnification?

^^^^^^

2 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Oh bite me.  Retard came into our lexicon because “moron and idiot” were thought to be too offensive, then soft people like yourself started taking offense to retard for the same reason.  20 years from now youll be saying disabled is an offensive term

and you know what, i mean it with offense towards ricky.  The guy is a buffoon.  A moron.  An idiot.

It all depends on your perspective. Moron and idiot don’t refer to someone with a disability. I take offense because I have a family member with a disability and want her to have the same respect and dignity as others. Clearly the word is offensive, so why not use one of the ones that you mentioned when you edited your post? Use one of those instead of using one that is used to make fun of one’s mental capacity.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s insulting that we’re supposedly contending and seeing Delmonico batting 2nd in game 3 of the season.

We've gone from Rick Hahn, American League Executive of the Year 2020 to Rick Hahn: Disgraced/Fired in the span of less than 24 hours, lol.

It was quite obvious there wasn't enough depth in the starting pitching, especially when they realized Kopech wasn't going to pitch this year.

That we're using Delmonico/Engel and Ross Detwiler and still haven't figured out how to protect Eloy Jimenez from himself doesn't bode well for this season.   Still not even 100% sure that they had to invest all that money into Grandal, but that's a debate for yet another day.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, The Beast said:

It all depends on your perspective. Moron and idiot don’t refer to someone with a disability. I take offense because I have a family member with a disability and want her to have the same respect and dignity as others. Clearly the word is offensive, so why not use one of the ones that you mentioned when you edited your post? Use one of those instead of using one that is used to make fun of one’s mental capacity.

They did. They used to be clinical terms for a level of intellectual disability. 

As everyone knows, I'm autistic and I don't have a huge issue with the use of the term "retarded" with proper context.

If you're using it to describe someone with an actual learning disability/intellectual disability then yeah it's hurtful. I've been called that and I don't appreciate it. It's a gray area in my book and tread lightly. 

In case you didn't know, retarded is actually a synonym for slow. 

Calling someone a retard in general is distasteful. 

It's not PC or anything it's about having respect for fellow human beings. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ChiSox1917 said:

I guess you missed the point.  I used those terms because those used to be the terms that people found offensive and asked people to use the term retarded instead of those.  

like i said, 20 years from now there will be another generation that associates “disabled, or mentally handicapped” with a negative connotation and claim using those terms is offensive.  I frankly dont give a fuck if i offend someone who im not directly speaking to.  If you are the type of person that gets offended by  comment not directed to you or your loved ones, then you are soft. 

And keeep digging...

1 minute ago, ChiSox1917 said:

I guess you missed the point.  I used those terms because those used to be the terms that people found offensive and asked people to use the term retarded instead of those.  

like i said, 20 years from now there will be another generation that associates “disabled, or mentally handicapped” with a negative connotation and claim using those terms is offensive.  I frankly dont give a fuck if i offend someone who im not directly speaking to.  If you are the type of person that gets offended by  comment not directed to you or your loved ones, then you are soft. 

I think you just wrote a nice epitaph for your Sox posting career under this particular avatar/screen name.

ADIOS!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

:shitty:

Major League, Field of Dreams, The Natural, Bull Durham and A League of Their Own all came out of that generation....has been ages since the last great baseball film.

I'd argue it was probably Dennis Quaid in THE ROOKIE, the Jim Morris story.

• Like 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Major League, Field of Dreams, The Natural, Bull Durham and A League of Their Own all came out of that generation....has been ages since the last great baseball film.

I'd argue it was probably Dennis Quaid in THE ROOKIE, the Jim Morris story.

I really like that one. Don't forget about the Sandlot, that was marketed toward my age group when it came out in 1993. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I really like that one. Don't forget about the Sandlot, that was marketed toward my age group when it came out in 1993. 

Yep.  And Eight Men Out, of course.    Heck, Mr. Baseball and Rookie of the Year weren't THAT bad....and then there's Little Big League, too, speaking of the Twins.