Trade for pitching?

Dominikk85

It is obviously early and the twins have a monster offense but even before the season started the pen was not great and with the kopech opt out the back end of the rotation becomes a bit shaky.

Would a trade make sense? Vaughn and madrigal should be off limits and you can't trade the draft guys yet but most other prospects like sheets, stiever, Rutherford, dunning and collins on the ml side should be available. Should that get you something that is a real upgrade?

10 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

It is obviously early and the twins have a monster offense but even before the season started the pen was not great and with the kopech opt out the back end of the rotation becomes a bit shaky.

Would a trade make sense? Vaughn and madrigal should be off limits and you can't trade the draft guys yet but most other prospects like sheets, stiever, Rutherford, dunning and collins on the ml side should be available. Should that get you something that is a real upgrade?

Sheets and Rutherford have negligible value.   You have to hold onto Collins for 2021 (McCann/EE.)   Dunning needs to prove he's 100% back, and has more value to the White Sox than anyone else.   Stiever will be needed as well.   They will look at waiver/FA wire first, no need to panic or make a desperation move.   Heck, setting the rebuild back for a. sudden death playoff spot doesn't make sense, and we don't even know if Giolito can repeat his 2019.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Sheets and Rutherford have negligible value.   You have to hold onto Collins for 2021 (McCann/EE.)   Dunning needs to prove he's 100% back, and has more value to the White Sox than anyone else.   Stiever will be needed as well.   They will look at waiver/FA wire first, no need to panic or make a desperation move.   Heck, setting the rebuild back for a. sudden death playoff spot doesn't make sense, and we don't even know if Giolito can repeat his 2019.

Can we at least go through the rotation 3 times before making any grand proclamations? 

Again, this is a weird season and I wouldn't draw any long-term conclusions out of it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Can we at least go through the rotation 3 times before making any grand proclamations? 

Again, this is a weird season and I wouldn't draw any long-term conclusions out of it. 

Reason?

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I have a feeling you’re going to bringing up Leury Garcia and those 7 earned runs about 1,500 times in the next two months at this rate.

It was just one poor start, but he finished 2019 with two poor months out of three.

Fans are going to draw any conclusions they want.  It won’t be limited to positive breakouts, I’m sure you have to realize that.

Getting too personally invested in players is dangerous.   Been there, done that with Viciedo, Puig, Tatis and Robert.   It’s easy to lose objectivity, you stop seeing the forest for the trees.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I agree. Spring training was disjointed so even 3 starts is not much of a sample size. Management also  has to look at Lopez's stiffness issue to see if that start was wasted. The Sox must be watching the waiver wire for anyone worth a shot. We saw Fulmer and Covey each moved this weekend so teams are moving "bodies" around.  

With the 8 teams making the playoffs, the key will be getting solid #3 & #4 production from Cease & Rodon.  If that happens, I think we survive some combo of González & Dunning in the #5 spot.  The good news is we don’t play the Twins everyday and still have 25 games against the Tigers, Royals, & Pirates.

30 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

With the 8 teams making the playoffs, the key will be getting solid #3 & #4 production from Cease & Rodon.  If that happens, I think we survive some combo of González & Dunning in the #5 spot.  The good news is we don’t play the Twins everyday and still have 25 games against the Tigers, Royals, & Pirates.

Exactly but 24 games right? If they go 15-9 in those 24 games, they simply need to go 16-20 against everyone else to make the playoffs. Seems feasible to me.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The key might be how we play against the Indians imho.  And we don't have long to wait to see that.  Need some quality innings out of Cease, Rodon and Giolito this series.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I have a feeling you’re going to bringing up Leury Garcia and those 7 earned runs about 1,500 times in the next two months at this rate.

It was just one poor start, but he finished 2019 with two poor months out of three.

Fans are going to draw any conclusions they want.  It won’t be limited to positive breakouts, I’m sure you have to realize that.

Getting too personally invested in players is dangerous.   Been there, done that with Viciedo, Puig, Tatis and Robert.   It’s easy to lose objectivity, you stop seeing the forest for the trees.

No I get it completely, and you're right about Giolito being really up and down last year. When he was on, he was unhittable and when he was bad he was bad. I.looked up what he did last year on fangraphs and he had 3 really good months(May, June and August) and 3 really bad ones(April, July and September) and during his hot streak he saw a lot of bad lineups. He also gives up a lot of HRs. 

Leury messing up that DP is a valid excuse though and it's one that won't show in the box score. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

No I get it completely, and you're right about Giolito being really up and down last year. When he was on, he was unhittable and when he was bad he was bad. I.looked up what he did last year on fangraphs and he had 3 really good months(May, June and August) and 3 really bad ones(April, July and September) and during his hot streak he saw a lot of bad lineups. He also gives up a lot of HRs. 

Leury messing up that DP is a valid excuse though and it's one that won't show in the box score. 

Are you referring to the one play where the shift hurt them? There was a play in the first inning in the first game where it was clear they wouldn't have gotten any outs due to the shift.

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Are you referring to the one play where the shift hurt them? There was a play in the first inning in the first game where it was clear they wouldn't have gotten any outs due to the shift.

No I'm talking about the easy double play ball that like the 3rd batter of the game hit to Anderson and Leury dropped it on the transfer. 

There would have been 2 outs, nobody on and the score would have been 1-0. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Ah yeah that's right. Forgot about that one. I think the play I'm referring to was right after or two batters later.

Yeah I know which one you're talking about and it was going to be tough to get any outs from that one because the shift screwed them up. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

You have to hold onto Collins for 2021 (McCann/EE.

I would sign a 1 year extension for EE and definitely try to sign James McCann to a 3 or 4 year deal.

Collins is a good starting or back-up  catcher  for another team so he has trade value.

14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Royals are supposedly signing Matt Harvey.

Edwin Jackson, Tyson Ross, Wei-Yin Chen, Francisco Liriano and Hector Santiago are available, lol...

3 former Sox on that list...painfully

25 minutes ago, tray said:

I would sign a 1 year extension for EE and definitely try to sign James McCann to a 3 or 4 year deal.

Collins is a good starting or back-up  catcher  for another team so he has trade value.

EE has a club option, but let's wait and see on him...Have Vaughn waiting in the wings

1 hour ago, flavum said:

Foltynewicz DFA. Say what?

Guess they don’t want to pay for rehab/post-surgery or he really did something to injure himself that flew in the face of what training staff or team doctor was advising him to do?  There has to be a LOT more to it than that. 

8 hours ago, tray said:

I really like McCann but I don't think there is any way the Sox extend him.  He is a terrific luxury to have especially in this shortened season, but someone is going to pay him in free agency to be their starting catcher and I'm sure he will be gone.  James McCann = Jim Essian....sometimes that just happens in baseball...and life.