Trade for pitching?

Dominikk85

On 7/27/2020 at 2:50 AM, Dominikk85 said:

It is obviously early and the twins have a monster offense but even before the season started the pen was not great and with the kopech opt out the back end of the rotation becomes a bit shaky.

Would a trade make sense? Vaughn and madrigal should be off limits and you can't trade the draft guys yet but most other prospects like sheets, stiever, Rutherford, dunning and collins on the ml side should be available. Should that get you something that is a real upgrade?

Trade Steiever for more broken down veteran pitchers?  The last thing the Sox need is for Hahn to panic and put on a clown show  like he did in 2016.

Edited by GreenSox

18 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Trade Steiever for more broken down veteran pitchers?  The last thing the Sox need is for Hahn to panic and put on a clown show  like he did in 2016.

Yeah, probably doesn't make sense to trade those prospects for mediocre veterans, giolito and cease just need to step it up or you try again next year.

Still early and maybe the second turn of the rotation is better.

I know its early but if at some point we decide to punt on this season, I believe there are several teams who would offer a 45-45+ talent for McCann. Notwithstanding injuries that might occur, a team like the Padres appear to be a fit and they have 4-5 interesting MI prospects in their minor league system. Similarly, McCann would be an upgrade for TB who also have several interesting MLrs, including Shane Baz and Shane McClanahan. Personally, I'd try to resign McCann but if unable to, there should be real trade value there.

53 minutes ago, Flash said:

I know its early but if at some point we decide to punt on this season, I believe there are several teams who would offer a 45-45+ talent for McCann. Notwithstanding injuries that might occur, a team like the Padres appear to be a fit and they have 4-5 interesting MI prospects in their minor league system. Similarly, McCann would be an upgrade for TB who also have several interesting MLrs, including Shane Baz and Shane McClanahan. Personally, I'd try to resign McCann but if unable to, there should be real trade value there.

They already have Hedges and Mejia. Unless they're willing to trade Mejia's LH offensive potential and arm... doesn't quite seem like a good platoon split. Otoh, they definitely have concerns about Francisco's game~calling, framing, blocking pitches and overall leadership. They're expecting a playoff run as they bring up Gore and/or Patino.  McCann and Hedges are both well-respected clubhouse guys. 

Edited by caulfield12

I would have preferred to have punted on Grandal and went with All-Star McCann and prospect Collins at catcher and spent the money on another quality starter.

At this point any trade depends on what another team wants in exchange for a proven starting pitcher.  This is not a popular opinion, but I would not take any of our prospects off the table if they can coax a trade for a decent, durable starter from another team.

Edited by tray
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Flash said:

I don't think any team is giving up anything of even moderate interest for a half season rental in a season that may not even finish.

1 hour ago, gusguyman said:

I don't think any team is giving up anything of even moderate interest for a half season rental in a season that may not even finish.

Would depend on what point of the season and a teams' playoff chances. Obviously if it looks as though the season is at risk, there will be no rental player activity.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Flash said:

I see no reason to believe that teams are going to be willing to pay trade deadline prices in a season that might not even finish.  In fact, they would be fools to do so.

35 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I see no reason to believe that teams are going to be willing to pay trade deadline prices in a season that might not even finish.  In fact, they would be fools to do so.

It would have to be a team like the Padres with surplus prospects...that it just itching to make a deep playoff run for the first time in many years.

Trading Mejia for McCann seems quite possible, for example.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Respectfully disagree. A pennant is a pennant and if a team feels they are a cather or RH power bat away, McCann will be in play and command a decent return. This of course assumes reasonable risk of finishing the season. Obviously no one will pursue a rental if it looks like season will be ended.

2 hours ago, Flash said:

Respectfully disagree. A pennant is a pennant and if a team feels they are a cather or RH power bat away, McCann will be in play and command a decent return. This of course assumes reasonable risk of finishing the season. Obviously no one will pursue a rental if it looks like season will be ended.

Literally half of one organization has covid and 2 teams aren't allowed to play right now.

7 minutes ago, Capital G said:

man you guys have no patience and panic so easily.

Trade for a pitcher when the season will likely not even end. We're 5 games deep with teams already having to post-pone games.

Extend McCaan and trade Grandal? WUT!?

You're telling someone not to panic while at the same time saying the season is likely to end.  :lolhitting

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

You're telling someone not to panic while at the same time saying the season is likely to end.  :lolhitting

You dont see the difference? 

Panic suggesting the team makes trades that could impact the future.

Stating the season could end before completion due to a virus. Something that for a fact a lot of people thought could happen before the season even started.

:lolhitting

Edited by Capital G
  • Thanks 1