Sox @ Tribe, 7/27, 6:10 CT, Gamethread - PPD Rain

soxfan49

5 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

They have made it CLEAR they didn't want to compete this year. The second Madrigal didn't make the squad this become a "developmental" season. 

Madrigal did nothing in ST or Summer Camp to force the Sox to promote him.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Is it due to weather or is this because Ricky is down and they want to get more testing?

It's weather, as the stuff that was rolling through here last night is over there. But, it's a good thing as it gives them time to hopefully get Ricky's test back. I hope Ricky is ok. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

58 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If this season isn't going to matter...Dylan Cease is out there pitching today. 

There is no "if." Regardless of the outcome, this season will always be bullshit. It kind of makes me want the Indians to win. That way, if their fans try to say they won the World Series, I can just reply with a "no you didn't," and the conversation is over. 

• knightni changed the title to Sox @ Tribe, 7/27, 6:10 CT, Gamethread - PPD Rain
8 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

You don't need to "force" the issue when you are already the best available option.

Exactly. Defense alone warranted him as the starter. And having him spend over a week at Schaumburg was a hand slap for "did nothing in summer camp"? Good lord, why is anyone defending time manipulation? It's BS, and hopefully the next CBA ends it for good.

2 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

There is no "if." Regardless of the outcome, this season will always be bullshit. It kind of makes me want the Indians to win. That way, if their fans try to say they won the World Series, I can just reply with a "no you didn't," and the conversation is over. 

It's an interesting paradox. I agree the season will always be tainted, but on the other hand it may actually take more talent and resolve to win. This will take a deep organization to win. Your fortieth player will have to be better than the other 40th player. You'll also have to have a flexible thinking manager who can think through the new rules without having decades of stats to guide him.

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

Exactly. Defense alone warranted him as the starter. And having him spend over a week at Schaumburg was a hand slap for "did nothing in summer camp"? Good lord, why is anyone defending time manipulation? It's BS, and hopefully the next CBA ends it for good.

Because punting a year of control for 5 games is very short sighted. Sox are 1-2 with Madrigal and 1-2 without him. Sox aren’t the only team in baseball making these types of decisions, and if anything, with the extensions they’ve been more aggressive than most. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

Interesting to see who has the higher OPS this year Garcia or Madrigal. Madrigal is the better defender but I think Garcia will be better with the bat this year.

Really hope they bring up Madrigal on Friday in KC.  They drafted him 4th to be the future 2B.  He's the best defensive 2B they have and he was hitting in AA and AAA last year. This season is a little wacky, granted. But just play him. Bat him 9th. Let him make all of the plays, and see what he does for 50 games. 

24 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Interesting to see who has the higher OPS this year Garcia or Madrigal. Madrigal is the better defender but I think Garcia will be better with the bat this year.

Garcia will probably have a higher OPS this year than Madrigal. I see a lot of singles from him this season. It may take another year before he gets more slugging in this bat. 

This isn’t a question of Madrigal vs Garcia right now. It’s a question of Madrigal vs Nicky Delmonico (the guy Ricky plays every day and bats ahead of Lubo). Because if Madrigal were starting at 2b, Garcia would presumably be starting in RF in lieu of Nicky.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Because punting a year of control for 5 games is very short sighted. Sox are 1-2 with Madrigal and 1-2 without him. Sox aren’t the only team in baseball making these types of decisions, and if anything, with the extensions they’ve been more aggressive than most. 

I’m fascinated that the Royals didn’t do the same with game 2 starter Brady Singer. That guy could be their future ace and they’re going nowhere this season or next.