MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What happened to players lockers being in the suites and no high fives or touching? I have been wondering that since the Sox have been real close to each other many times. This never seemed feasible, but I think plenty didn't take it serious too.

Like the scrum after the walk-off grand slam for Oakland accompanying the Olson game-winner the other night?

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What happened to players lockers being in the suites and no high fives or touching? I have been wondering that since the Sox have been real close to each other many times. This never seemed feasible, but I think plenty didn't take it serious too.

Honestly Ray, I see a lot of people not taking it seriously in Chicago.  I have driven past Chicago Park district parks with Softball leagues in full swing.  No social distancing or masks by the people watching the games or the players on the sidelines, right on top of each other drinking some cold ones.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

The next domino to fall has to be the Yankees/Phillies game.   If they take that off the schedule, it’s pretty much acknowledging the writing is on the wall already.

I would be worried about an outbreak with the Reds also. 

Just now, wegner said:

Honestly Ray, I see a lot of people not taking it seriously in Chicago.  I have driven past Chicago Park district parks with Softball leagues in full swing.  No social distancing or masks by the people watching the games or the players on the sidelines, right on top of each other drinking some cold ones.

Whatever you do, don’t go to Little League games.  They might as well be COVID parties.  

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Well if the season is cancelled, at least it answers the question of “will the world end of Gio starts for the Sox”.

Will it be answered?  It depends how bad you think this pandemic will get!! 

Just now, fathom said:

Whatever you do, don’t go to Little League games.  They might as well be COVID parties.  

Oh absolutely.  The little league games are packed as well.  My wife is furious about it and has complained to our alderman.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Well if the season is cancelled, at least it answers the question of “will the world end of Gio starts for the Sox”.

All jokes aside, and as bad as his season numbers will look now, I bet it actually meant a lot to him. Just in the nick of time too

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, poor Jack Parkman will now have at least eight months to make compelling arguments that Lucas Giolito Is Still An Ace. 

If every pitcher the Twins make look bad aren't an ace, there aren't any aces in baseball outside of NYC

• Like 1

There can be only two good things that could come from a cancelled season: No one dies, and maybe more will see how serious this is. From all indications, most still don't realize what is happening and that will only lead to true disaster unless we come out of our denial stage.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wegner said:

Rob Manfred announces that they were prepared for this very contingency.  MLB is flying down an alternate team to play in Miami's place.  The Washington Generals will play all of Miami's games during the quaratine period.

Post of the Year 

• Thanks 2

Wow this is really sad. I was so into the season this weekend -- I was really worried I wouldn't enjoy this season due to the weird shortened schedule, but I was fully committed. Loved playing Fantasy Baseball the past 2-3 days and having the normalcy of watching a baseball game while I eat/play videogames/come home from work. 

This was bound to happen, but it happened so soon. I wonder what they'll do 😕 

This is the nightmare scenario. Florida is one of the hottest COVID spots on the planet right now, and it’s clear baseball’s health, safety, and testing protocols aren’t preventing players from contracting the virus. Certain players have been wearing masks while on the field, specifically first basemen Rhys Hoskins and Jesus Aguilar, as well as shortstop Didi Gregorius, but most have not. 

Baseball is fortunate that they are able to conduct coronavirus testing whenever they need to and get rapid results. However, there is still a window of uncertainty between those tests and the results. In the case of this weekend’s series between the Phillies and Marlins, that gap was Sunday’s game, in which multiple others could have been exposed.

At this point, it’s hard to see how baseball can continue.

What about the hotel workers where the Marlins are staying? What about the New York Yankees, who will be coming to Philadelphia for a quick two-game series this week? How do they use the visitor’s clubhouse, knowing there was an outbreak of COVID there just days earlier? How does that series get played? How do the Marlins take the field at all for the next two weeks? 

No one wants the 2020 season to unravel just as it’s getting started, but it would be irresponsible to continue playing games now. The Toronto Blue Jays aren’t allowed to play in their own home stadium. Even a lowly team like the Marlins needs its best players on the field, and with this outbreak, there’s no way they can do that. What’s it going to take for MLB to decide too much is too much? When half the Yankees are out? When Mike Trout goes down?

It would be a miracle of no Phillies tested positive for COVID-19 as a result of what happened this weekend, and the MLB season is in serious jeopardy. It was a valiant effort to try and get teams back on the field but, without placing the entire sport in a protective bubble, this was perhaps inevitable.

It would be irresponsible to play any more games this season until the outbreak is contained and, given the fact the game is already just 60 games long (now 57), any stoppage would likely kill the season.

Health and safety is paramount and, at this point, there is no way the league can assure its players, coaches and those surrounding the sport, that they can keep everyone healthy and safe as long as teams are conducting business as usual.

https://www.thegoodphight.com/2020/7/27/21340081/the-marlins-have-a-covid-19-outbreak-and-the-2020-season-could-already-be-over-phillies-manfred

28 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I also thought players were going to be sitting in the stands. That said, I hope we get answers on whether they think it's as much in game transmission or possibly hanging out outside stadium/hotels.