MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I bet they announce a pause.  This is so fucked up.  We still DON'T HAVE RAPID AB TESTING!

I would think the Eduardo Rodriquez " heart inflammation" issue that developed yesterday after he was cleared of his bout w Covid could cause concern for some of the players 

• Thanks 1

Just now, SCCWS said:

I would think the Eduardo Rodriquez " heart inflammation" issue that developed yesterday after he was cleared of his bout w Covid could cause concern for some of the players 

Yes and was Eloy "dizzy" from hitting the wall or because he was out there in the 90 degree sun with COVID?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Instead they look like they are making it up as they go, 

BTW the Soxtalk Mod team are being careful to socially distance ourselves in different states and no more than two will ever be in the same space. Damn good plan ChiSoxfn

Its why we get paid so much.

• Like 1

NFL is stipulating risky activity which could jeopardize paychecks.

The memo also states: "Clubs/NFL can challenge designation as a football related injury if it can prove that the player contracted COVID-19 through engaging in high risk conduct below. (This issue remains open.)"

Per the memo, the NFL defines high-risk conduct as attending:

• an indoor nightclub with more than 15 people

• an indoor bar with more than 15 people, other than to pick up food

• an indoor house party with more than 15 people

• an indoor music concert/entertainment event with more than 15 people

• a professional sporting event, other than applicable NFL games or events, with more than 15 people

an indoor religious service attended by more than 25% of a venue's capacity (Greg reaction?)

26 minutes ago, Texsox said:

A top organization would be releasing a statement that sounds something like this . . .

Based on 14 players testing positive we are following the protocol we established before the season. The infected players and staff will be isolated at their hotel, replacement players are being flown in from the 60 team reserve squad, and tonight's game as been postponed and will be played at a later date, if necessary. 

MLB should have had this figured out months ago, before they even started trading monetary proposals.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not like I go anywhere now but anywhere I go here in California you can't get in without a mask . I have no idea if restaurants are even open here because all I do is grocery shop and eat at home.

That makes two of us and our grocery shopping  is curbside pickup at the local Walmart. My wife had surgery at Rush 10 days ago so it's like we are ultra quarantined since then and don't go near anyone and don't want anyone near us!

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yes and was Eloy "dizzy" from hitting the wall or because he was out there in the 90 degree sun with COVID?

C'mon man. Eloy was dizzy because he was playing LF. I have never seen a player I am more scared will get hurt by a wall. Rowand used to ram into them, but at least he knew it was there. Eloy seems to never realize he is near a wall.

As far as I am aware, humans have not yet discovered a way to eliminate all illiness from the world.  Fortunately, these guys are asymptomatic.  An MLB player is far more likely to be killed driving to the ballpark than they are from Covid.  Play on!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Green Line said:

As far as I am aware, humans have not yet discovered a way to eliminate all illiness from the world.  Fortunately, these guys are asymptomatic.  An MLB player is far more likely to be killed driving to the ballpark than they are from Covid.  Play on!

Car accidents don't kill the clubhouse attendant and his mom.

Some may be pre-symptomatic in that they'll develop symptoms in the coming days/weeks. And it's not just the players but the staff, coaches, etc.

Just now, Green Line said:

Well in Florida, if you’re under 55, you have an approximate 1 in 33,000 chance of dying. 

Thanks, Ms. DeVos, so well put!  And, of course, it’s equally applicable to K-12 education as well as higher ed.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I hadn't heard about this yet, it is terrifying.

Also though, a quote from the article I read: 
Rodriguez, 27, told reporters he was "still scared" about the condition after learning more about it in recent days, but that he doesn't intend to opt out of playing at some point this season. "I want to be pitching yesterday, the day before, or today," he said

Like how Geico can save you 15% or more on car insurance, players want to play. Its what they do. I respect them for that dedication, and it is exactly why the decision should have been taken out of their hands.

4 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Ugh.  Can we not with the obvious fallacies?  Especially because of what we are seeing happen in real time here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ugh.  Can we not with the obvious fallacies?  Especially because of what we are seeing happen in real time here.

Its not a fallacy.  The players will likely be fine.  Good luck eliminating all risk ever.