MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Anyway, F1 will be in England this weekend for anyone looking to scratch the sports itch

F1 is always my number 1 sport so that's the good thing. Seems like they have been handling the pandemic well. Although the US Grand Prix here in Austin got cancelled. Which is a shame because COTA is probably my favorite track next to Spa. 

As far as people taking a "whatever" attitude to this...I'm in Texas it's happening constantly. Too many billy bobs dont give a shit. They don't care if they get it and get your whole family sick and you all die. Just as long as they get to go fishing or go into walmart. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

League should issue a mandate to have masks on at all times in the dugout, and how about actually making use of the extra makeshift dugouts to help with social distancing. 

This should be a big week. KC at Detroit for four nights? Cmon. On the road, you would expect a lot of new cases. Hope not but I don't like players' chances traveling as much as they do.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The Minnesota Vikings Infection control person now has the virus.

I wish I was still teaching irony to 8th graders. I could add that to my example list. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This should be a big week. KC at Detroit for four nights? Cmon. On the road, you would expect a lot of new cases. Hope not but I don't like players' chances traveling as much as they do.

It can be done, but it is hard. For one thing, they are so used to doing it another way.  I am a huge mask guy. I have probably walked out my door 15 times without it on, and have to go back.  It's hard not to high 5 or celebrate a walk off. But they have to. It should just be hotel, bus, ballpark. Nothing else. They only have to do it for 30 games on the road, so while it's a little bit of hell, it is only a little bit.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It can be done, but it is hard. For one thing, they are so used to doing it another way.  I am a huge mask guy. I have probably walked out my door 15 times without it on, and have to go back.  It's hard not to high 5 or celebrate a walk off. But they have to. It should just be hotel, bus, ballpark. Nothing else. They only have to do it for 30 games on the road, so while it's a little bit of hell, it is only a little bit.

Yep, get out of my truck, walk half way to the store entrance, stop, swear a little, walk back, grab my mask, walk back inside . . .

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The Minnesota Vikings Infection control person now has the virus. 

It's looking more and more like this is a lot easier to catch than a lot of people believe.

I think most people believed it is easy to catch. Hence the problem.

The argument between people stems from:

1. How it spreads

2. How (or if) to mitigate the spread

3. Severity of the virus. 

3 minutes ago, Butter Parque said:

I think most people believed it is easy to catch. Hence the problem.

The argument between people stems from:

1. How it spreads

2. How (or if) to mitigate the spread

3. Severity of the virus. 

I think if people thought it was easy to catch, getting them to wear a mask, and act at least somewhat responsibly, wouldn't be so hard.

This is bad, really bad, and it will get worse, because living here — today, with leaders whose first priority is themselves, among fellow citizens who can’t be bothered with fortitude or compassion — looks just like this.

This is the world into which Major League Baseball rolled its operation. If you signed up for baseball in the summer of 2020, for an escape from reality, you signed up for a baseball team — fathers, husbands, sons, brothers and friends — holed up in hotel rooms, 1,200 miles from home, while people wearing masks, gloves and grim expressions knocked on their doors.

The Miami Marlins were tested for the coronavirus again Monday morning in Philadelphia, a day after they were tested (again), because suddenly too many of those tests were coming back positive, in waves, and already one flight home had been canceled and another was at least postponed, and the outbreak that could shut down a season had found them first.

A baseball game between the Marlins and Baltimore Orioles in Miami on Monday night was postponed. A game Monday night between the Philadelphia Phillies and New York Yankees at Philadelphia’s Citizens Bank Park, where the Marlins had just spent three days on the field, in the dugout and in the clubhouse while at least a dozen players and personnel were carrying the virus, also was postponed.

This is bad, really bad, and so wholly predictable. The structural precautions are expanded rosters, taxi squads and a couple dozen other guys set aside to throw bullpens and take batting practice. When the virus blew in, however, the real safeguard was America’s appetite for the game, its willingness to offer up others for its amusement and then its refusal to even temporarily commit to something greater than itself. We do pandemics, it turns out, how we’ve come to do everything else: What’s best for me?

The answer was baseball games on TV.

So if we shoveled baseball with everything else into the furnace that is four million cases and 150,000 deaths and an unyielding determination to get our nails done, then clearly we had the stomach for 12 or 15 or more Miami Marlins calling their wives and children with the news they were new to the curve.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/the-marlins-covid-19-outbreak-is-really-bad-and-exactly-what-mlb-signed-up-for-160751017.html

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

That is why I go with my fool proof strategy - keep my kid from playing at the highest level - than sell the college on the potential - we don't know - she might be the next great thing. We don't know - maybe she shoots 100, but she also might just shoot 65 on average - do you want to turn down that sort of potential?  I need a guaranteed full ride. 

PS: She may not actually have any desire to play - so please ensure that this scholarship is iron clad :)

I know people make light of it but if you are truly objective it can work. My daughter was a very good high school runner. We looked at time across the nation and saw where she was competitively. She wanted to run with a large club and based on comparisons we decided it was worth the money. She ran races across the US and ran in the Junior Olympic finals. She now has a DI scholarship spread through 3 sports that pays 20,000 per year. It can be worth it if they love it and are motivated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

If you fill out all the paperwork correctly she could land on the Stanford Rowing Team. 

Unfortunately, Stanford eliminated 11 sports including rowing. Although I'm not sure that is a requirement based on recent events. 😁

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think if people thought it was easy to catch, getting them to wear a mask, and act at least somewhat responsibly, wouldn't be so hard.

I'm not sure thats true. The ones I ask about in the neighborhood say that the virus isn't fatal in most age demographics so if they get it most likely they will be asymptomatic and a very very small chance they would die.

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem with this is you’re going to need at least four stadiums....three or four staggered games per day times 4 locations.

All the cleaning between games.   Right now, just one highly infected team would very quickly wipe out another 5-6-7 teams over a single weekend. 

It would have worked had all the teams gone into protective bubbles 6-8 weeks ago, but by July it was already too late as cases started increasing as far back as Memorial Day weekend.   It was always more about mitigating owners’ losses than the health of players and their families.

Having multiple teams in one stadium is not uber-practical in my view. Imagine the Sox are hosting the Tigers and oh the Jays and Yanks are stopping by for a few games. You would have to build extra locker rooms at a minimum. There would be more exposure for sure.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If they canceled the two games, why is anyone else playing tonight? 

If it's enough to cancel these two games, shouldn't it be enough to call the whole thing off? 

Yes, it should. It is time we stop being candy asses and really start fighting this thing. There is no way this season will make it to the end.

And to all you paranoids who still think this is a hoax: How about a one-way flight to Saturn? How's that for a conspiracy?

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

And now Renteria is showing symptoms for the Sox. This whole thing is ridiculous. How is anyone enjoying this?

That first game was nice, but now it's just a constant reminder of how shit everything is instead of being a distraction from it, as predicted. 

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

And now Renteria is showing symptoms for the Sox. This whole thing is ridiculous. How is anyone enjoying this?

This is not that important but I hate them saying “out of an abundance of caution”. Uh yeah it’s not really, just say due to your protocol you will sit out anyone showing symptoms until they can see it’s not covid.

Just now, mqr said:

That first game was nice, but now it's just a constant reminder of how shit everything is instead of being a distraction from it, as predicted. 

:huh:  What game were you watching???  That first game sucked.  Don't get me wrong, I watched the whole thing but it sucked big time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wegner said:

:huh:  What game were you watching???  That first game sucked.  Don't get me wrong, I watched the whole thing but it sucked big time.

Yeah but it sucked because of baseball not anything else. That was nice.