MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

5 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

When players and staff are running around town what do they expect? Everyone involved in MLB should have been told to isolate and stay put. 

Risky behavior on the part of players is in no way a prerequisite for outbreaks, they can simply go about their business boarding flights and staying in packed hotels and contract the virus. I somehow doubt these positive tests we're seeing are all related to players clubbing in their down time.

27 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Or they may have a ton of double headers in September. I hope they come up with a plan. Playing eight or nine games in a week might be necessary.  

it'll get to the point where they just have to play continuously. Hit the end of 9 innings and roll right over into the 1st inning of the next game.

Really though, there's just not a feasible way to do this with traveling teams in a country with unchecked spread.

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

it'll get to the point where they just have to play continuously. Hit the end of 9 innings and roll right over into the 1st inning of the next game.

Really though, there's just not a feasible way to do this with traveling teams in a country with unchecked spread.

Here's an idea, how about 7 inning doubleheaders to make up these games?

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

Yeah, I know there were other issues with it, but in hindsight making an AZ bubble and a FL bubble and playing the whole season at the spring training facilities was probably the only feasible plan, from a "surviving the pandemic" perspective anyway.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, the difference is the plague ships, especially cruise liners....are like ghost ships that are never allowed to come into port for months and months.

The Miami plague bus is going to circle up and down I-95 for two weeks getting pizzas and pedialyte drone delivered through the roof hatch.

• Haha 2

It's really going to wreak havoc on the playoff rotations and having so many high stress innings (with doubleheaders and no off days stacked up throughout the dog days of August) for certain teams, especially the last 2-3 weeks before October.

How many major arm/elbow injuries are going to have to take place first?

If they want to make a new rule on the fly, keep 30-player rosters all season. The asterisk is getting bigger by the day, so do whatever. Hell, I’ll lighten up on the 7-inning doubleheaders too, because this season is kinda trash now. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Just keep postponing games until they're playing baseball in blizzards in January.

Really, if you're not going to go the bubble route, there doesn't seem to be a way to do this safely without constant, substantial interruptions when there's an unchecked pandemic raging in a lot of the country.

Might have to finish the season online.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kalapse said:

Risky behavior on the part of players is in no way a prerequisite for outbreaks, they can simply go about their business boarding flights and staying in packed hotels and contract the virus. I somehow doubt these positive tests we're seeing are all related to players clubbing in their down time.

Rumor is (according to reddit) Cardinals players were seen out and about in the city. I agree travel is a risk but the fact that they are out on the town increases that risk substantially.

14 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

This season is going to be cancelled.

Sure hope not. In my naive opinion, if it happens it won’t be an iron clad immediate action but rather will amount to stages of repeated failure.

For example, entire season postponed for 2 weeks... resume... see more clubs getting games postponed... potentially another stoppage... say they’re trying to get 45 games in, yada yada yada.

If they see more than one cycle like that, we’ll get the knife.

Otherwise, they’re committed to doing whatever it takes to get this in.

5 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Sure hope not. In my naive opinion, if it happens it won’t be an iron clad immediate action but rather will amount to stages of repeated failure.

For example, entire season postponed for 2 weeks... resume... see more clubs getting games postponed... potentially another stoppage... say they’re trying to get 45 games in, yada yada yada.

If they see more than one cycle like that, we’ll get the knife.

Otherwise, they’re committed to doing whatever it takes to get this in.

Yup I think so but the cancellations will get to the point where it's not practical to keep playing.