MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Let's look at this moving forward and it may be a good thing for the other teams. An outbreak like this and your roster is shot for two weeks to a month. You just eliminated yourself from the playoffs. The keys for winning this year

1. Keep your players healthy (way more than a regular year) so let's invest some cash to help make that happen.
  2. Your organization will have to be deep. Everyone that would have been on your forty man roster and perhaps more will probably be playing at some point.
  3. If you thought a Loogy was weird, how about a FRFSIT10 - Fast Runner From Second in the 10th guy. 

Sign Terrence Gore.  Instant runner on 3rd.   You can do that with expanded rosters.   Or trade a Tier C prospect for Billy Hamilton.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pettie4sox said:

You act like that's something to brag about?  Florida is the example of what happens when you open before you have a firm grasp on virus prevention strategy.  For what it's worth there are no metro areas in Florida that touch the population of Chicagoland area.

We're not finished in Texas. We'll make y'all look like slackers. 

Watching games tonight doesn't look like anything's changed from a social distancing/contact perspective, still not utilizing the canopies that are up in the stands of every ballpark and plenty of contact on homerun celebrations. I noticed the Astros and Mets with contactless celebrations, otherwise it's the usual.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

It can be done, but it is hard. For one thing, they are so used to doing it another way.  I am a huge mask guy. I have probably walked out my door 15 times without it on, and have to go back.  It's hard not to high 5 or celebrate a walk off. But they have to. It should just be hotel, bus, ballpark. Nothing else. They only have to do it for 30 games on the road, so while it's a little bit of hell, it is only a little bit.

I love how people mock people for wearing masks in cars; I do it when I'm en route to a place I need to wear the mask so I don't forget it and have to walk back to the car. I still fear the older baseball coaches and the old college basketball coaches (there are a ton pushing 70 or over 70) contracting the virus. There are also older college football coaches and assistants. If somebody catches it and dies, there's going to be outrage and rightly so. 

6 hours ago, Tony said:

While I think the critique of Manfred is warranted, the utter lack of effort on the part of players to mask up and socially distance should also point fingers at the PA as well, IMO.

If the players are going to consume the finite resources of tests and testing facilities, it should follow that they should make some sort of effort to avoid spreading the virus.

Also, when I see that at least 2 White Sox players have tested positive, AND that RR needed a test, one would expect that the SOX would take this seriously. But no, you see them congregating together in the dugout, right on top of each other. You see unmasked faces, and celebrations in close quarters. To me, it shows stupid and weak and ignorant "leadership" on the part of the FO, the coaches, and the veterans in this team.

Smart teams know that one ability is availability. Dumb teams leave availability to chance. In a pandemic, I wonder when these dumbasses in the SOX org are going to wake the fvkc up and take this seriously. 

TL,DR: Manfred should be criticized, but so should the MLBPA, the individual players, and weak leadership from individual teams, IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Also Yanks/Phils canceled

With the Yankees heading back to New York...

looks like that was postponed, probably easier to find days for them to find since they are so close.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

looks like that was postponed, probably easier to find days for them to find since they are so close.

Also seeing the Phillies tests have been clean so far. Really hope we don't have a problem with the Yankees now. 

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

so 60% of a single team is out for 2 weeks...

But it's literally one of the worst teams in baseball basically, so MLB is sweeping it under the rug. Can you imagine if it was the Yankees or Dodgers?  Taxi squad Marlins winning it all would be something else though...

Edited by EloyJenkins

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

But it's literally one of the worst teams in baseball basically, so MLB is sweeping it under the rug. Can you imagine if it was the Yankees or Dodgers?  Taxi squad Marlins winning it all would be something else though...

I totally think this is true. Also dealing with New York media and not Miami.

11 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I agree that the league is just brushing off a non-competitive team. We can say they just forfeit their games until they can field a team, but what if a competitive team goes down? Would they really say the Yankees forfeit their games, effectively sealing it that they won't make the playoffs? I don't think so.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

so 60% of a single team is out for 2 weeks...

What bothers me most is that they aren't changing any protocols. The "everything will be fine" approach is gonna backfire when the next outbreak happens on a contending team. It only took 3 days for the first one, who's to say we make it to next week before the next?

I don't think the reaction from MLB would be different if this happened to NYY or LAD instead of MIA. They seem pretty committed to plowing forward, optics be damned. I do think it will be different if this scenario repeats itself another two or three times- especially if it happens soon. At that point, I think the 2020 season is dunzo. 

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

1 minute ago, bmags said:

So the nationals have voted against traveling to Miami this weekend, waiting to hear back from mlb.

Don't blame them one bit. It will be interesting to see if the games are canceled, moved to washington or moved to another site.