MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

And if they didn’t call him up during a season when the Sox are trying to compete, and the reason was a possible COVID cancellation....fans would go ape. Can’t really have it both ways.

I know, it's a catch 22. I'm glad I'm not the one having to make that decision. 

11 hours ago, Kalapse said:

every team should be doing this shit, why are the Dodgers the only ones?

It's just so darn difficult. Maybe the players and staff don't take this seriously. Half the people out there have their masks pulled down. It's too hard to comply so we have this mess instead. 

Cancel all games for 2 days. Emergency meeting with the PA. Hand them new safety protocols requiring masks at all times (reduces face touching if you’re not removing it), distancing in dugout and on field, penalties for any actions that violate safety protocols up to suspensions and fines, mandatory distancing And masks during travel, and anyone caught in a hotel bar or restaurant or strip club or barber shop without a mask on or too close to anyone to violate the 6 foot rule gets a week suspension.

PA told to take it or season ends.

Sadly, baseball could be serving as an example to the country of how to do things. Instead we are seeing some teams do it better but even within teams we see the range from good to poor examples. These guys stand to make millions and don’t take it seriously enough.  Disappointing as I was looking forward to baseball being my escape and instead COVID will continue as a major story line. 

6 minutes ago, flavum said:

I wonder if they’ll tell teams to stay home or fly home after Sunday’s games. It makes some sense to regroup before the next domino falls. 60 games seems very unlikely now.

If baseball shuts down they are probably just gonna have to call it a season. The players stopping and restarting like this is gonna cause injuries 

15 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Sadly, baseball could be serving as an example to the country of how to do things. Instead we are seeing some teams do it better but even within teams we see the range from good to poor examples. These guys stand to make millions and don’t take it seriously enough.  Disappointing as I was looking forward to baseball being my escape and instead COVID will continue as a major story line. 

We don’t know that we are seeing some teams do it better. We can’t evaluate what people are doing in the clubhouse or bullpen or during travel or during off time. There’s a randomness element to this, if you are in an area where there’s currently less virus then you may be less likely to have one of your players get it. Some guys might make 25 mistakes before catching it, some guys might make 2. Depends on who is around them and how irresponsible those people are.

• Like 1

Don’t worry everyone, we still have college football in 2 months, and canceling non conference games will fix this. It will be so safe that my former university’s Athletic Director would like the season ticket holders to know that they get priority for those tickets as the gates will be open, so plan those tailgates now!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

People believe these players are getting Covid through traveling from city to city together. There can be private social distancing seating on large planes and usage of more buses. 

Yes and that needs to be mandated in the rules, and masks need to be required. 

I’m not under any delusion that we’d get away without having any infections, but playing baseball was contingent on it being safer to play baseball than just go about normal life. That does not appear to be the case at this point. 

• Like 1

This is just further proof that a) this country lacked a serious overall plan for containing this thing and b) baseball management bought into the hype about this thing getting better. It’s not.  I live in NYC where we have taken it seriously and our caseload is down, but my job is returning in a limited way soon. We spent hundreds of man hours and plenty of money on technology and protocols, and I Am still worried. Wanting baseball back isn’t a plan. Needing the money isn’t a plan. Negotiating with the players isn’t a plan. A plan is a plan and MLB never had one. Pods with restricted hotels was the only way this was ever gonna work. Instead, you got teams traveling and staying in uncontrollable public accommodations during a pandemic. This just lacks any process thinking whatsoever.

Season is probably going to be cancelled, but if it isn’t, I bet you Trout does not come back from paternity leave. Would you?

• Like 4

They simply need to put harder rules in place around going out while on the road.  If guys are unwilling to sacrifice two months of partying at night, then they should opt-out or be suspended for the season without pay.  Make this a zero tolerance policy and actually enforce it.  IMO, that would solve the bulk of the problems here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1