MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Why didn’t MLB set up 3 separate bubbles for each division? There has to be at least one city in the east, central, and western part of the country that could have accommodated 10 teams in terms of lodging and having enough fields to play on. If nothing else, teams wouldn’t have had to fly on a plane every few days and potentially spread the virus like we’re seeing now.

New York - LA - Chicago

2 parks in each city.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Think about how things have changed. Back several months ago, one NBA player tested positive and it basically shut sports down. Now a team is devastated by it, and it's play on.

Testing and social distancing. Baseball players need to isolate with immediate families for a few months for this to work. 

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

“Manage pandemic” - good luck with that one. 😆

This season is  "for entertainment purposes only" for fans and make as much money as possible for the players/owners until it becomes economically unfeasible for the owners.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flavum said:

So what’s David Price’s solution? No season, no pay...see ya next year?

I think the subtext there would be "Please take the health aspect of this seriously, and failing that, yes no season no pay."

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

I mean, we're seeing the results of the whole "just have everyone go back to work whatever" approach, it's pretty terrible, maybe we shouldn't be doing that??

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This season is  "for entertainment purposes only" for fans and make as much money as possible for the players/owners until it becomes economically unfeasible for the owners.

Owners are banking for a playoff payoff. It will probably take multiple teams being devastated or one stacked team which could make the season a joke, to cancel it.

9 minutes ago, knightni said:

New York - LA - Chicago

2 parks in each city.

Exactly. And then none of those teams would have to travel by plane anymore. Disinfecting the clubhouses before each game could have been problematic given that multiple teams would be playing in the stadiums each day, but all in all that would’ve made so much more sense than what has actually happened.

• Like 1

Travelling by plane is interesting. My cousin's wife is Mexican and her father is very ill in Mexico, so he had to go down there. He was wearing goggles, a mask, gloves and a face shield on the plane. He texted a picture.

Then yesterday, my neighbor and her partner were outside with a bunch of suitcases and I asked if they were taking a vacation. It turns out her grandmother is dying in California and they were going to drive out there. I showed her a picture of my cousin and told her flights roundtrip to LAX were something like $75. She should fly. I think she did.

Edited by Dick Allen

Great news!  It would be insanity to cancel baseball over a virus that 99.999% of players who contract it would recover from.  They already put the health of the players first, thats why we have a 60 game season with a ton of new policies.  Life will go on regardless.

4 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Exactly. And then none of those teams would have to travel by plane anymore. Disinfecting the clubhouses before each game could have been problematic given that multiple teams would be playing in the stadiums each day, but all in all that would’ve made so much more sense than what has actually happened.

There was a little discussion of this concept back in May but basically the whole league said they didn't want to have to isolate from their families for 4+ months.

The NBA and NHL are getting away with it because they have nearly completed seasons already.

3 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Great news!  It would be insanity to cancel baseball over a virus that 99.999% of players who contract it would recover from.  They already put the health of the players first, thats why we have a 60 game season with a ton of new policies.  Life will go on regardless.

Because there’s so much research on the long term health ramifications of the virus.

1 minute ago, flavum said:

This is strike one for MLB. I’m glad they’re continuing, but once they get to strike three, they’re done. It’s going to take a lot of luck and diligence to get these nine weeks completed. 

League should issue a mandate to have masks on at all times in the dugout, and how about actually making use of the extra makeshift dugouts to help with social distancing. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I would not be shocked at all if years from now we find the average lifespans in this country 10-15 years less than they are today.    The long term effects of the respiratory damage caused by this virus will cause a lot of people in their 60s to die who would have lived into heir 80s.