MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Don't blame them one bit. It will be interesting to see if the games are canceled, moved to washington or moved to another site.

Why does the site matter? The issue is they don't want to play a team that just had like a dozen guys test positive within that same week. It doesn't matter if it's in Miami, Washington, Medicine Hat (Alberta) or Kandahar. 

The optics are impossible for MLB. You can't have a team voting no after half the other squad testing positive and mlb forcing them to play against some scrub taxi squad. The PR outrage would be impossible to handle and for good reason. The league is backed into a corner now.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Now this could be interesting.  What do they do if the team fully refuses to go?  Do they make them forfeit, or do they give in?

I imagine they'll come to some compromise that gets the game played and doesn't look like Manfred caved. The Marlins could be playing road games for a bit, though Passen also noted; why would DC want the infected Marlins party in their city? Why would any city for that matter?

11 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Why does the site matter? The issue is they don't want to play a team that just had like a dozen guys test positive within that same week. It doesn't matter if it's in Miami, Washington, Medicine Hat (Alberta) or Kandahar. 

The optics are impossible for MLB. You can't have a team voting no after half the other squad testing positive and mlb forcing them to play against some scrub taxi squad. The PR outrage would be impossible to handle and for good reason. The league is backed into a corner now.

Well, would you want to travel to a city, hotel, and facility whose team has had an outbreak and a city that is capturing 3k cases a day, has a near 20% positive rate, etc.

Or play them when you are isolated in our own home you can control, facilities you trust and only have minimal contact with that other team via on field play?

Even if you relocate the games who the hell wants to play a Marlin's team that's seeing multiple new positives every day? How could any opponent feel safe playing a team with an active outbreak? It's not just the players, the entire Marlins traveling party is a problem.

1 minute ago, Kalapse said:

Even if you relocate the games who the hell wants to play a Marlin's team that's seeing multiple new positives every day? How could any opponent feel safe playing a team with an active outbreak? It's not just the players, the entire Marlins traveling party is a problem.

The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp are about to face their biggest test.

3 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

yeah that is a huge problem. especially with it being likely that only on Friday will we really know the state of the issue for yesterday. Too big of a lag and it just seems rough.

Maybe my opinion will change, but I'm feeling like I can't enjoy this season anymore. I'm glad they tried. I'm glad they had summer camp to do baseball activities and be in the public view for a month. But after seeing this for 4-5 days, and especially with the Marlins situation, it's not an enjoyable thing right now. It's just a little too uncomfortable to witness what's going on. Hope things get better though, and nobody gets hurt/sick. Vent over,

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, flavum said:

Maybe my opinion will change, but I'm feeling like I can't enjoy this season anymore. I'm glad they tried. I'm glad they had summer camp to do baseball activities and be in the public view for a month. But after seeing this for 4-5 days, and especially with the Marlins situation, it's not an enjoyable thing right now. It's just a little too uncomfortable to witness what's going on. Hope things get better though, and nobody gets hurt/sick. Vent over,

I live and breathe the Sox but I agree with you. It just doesn’t feel right watching these games knowing that the players, coaches, and staff members are putting themselves at risk...especially since it could take weeks for them to feel symptoms. A lot of players could be sick right now and they just don’t know it yet. 

17 minutes ago, flavum said:

It went from watching and enjoying the games with it way in the back of my mind, something might derail this, to knowing it's coming and just wondering when. I feel like an undrafted free agent on cut day. I know it's coming, but when?  I am hoping things turn around. Seeing masks in the dugout, no high fives, would help. But I'm with you, the enjoyment is gone, at least for a little while.

They had to give it a shot, but they really can't work in a bubble. Being a non contact sport, there still was a chance.  The NBA and NHL might work with their bubbles, but the NFL? No way. College Football? Forget about it. 

Edited by Dick Allen

2 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

But it's literally one of the worst teams in baseball basically, so MLB is sweeping it under the rug. Can you imagine if it was the Yankees or Dodgers?  Taxi squad Marlins winning it all would be something else though...

Everyone plays in Buffalo! I think they will give it another week and see if things calm down. I heard it was safe to reopen everything.

11 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

So it was effectively left up to Rojas whether or not the Marlins would play on Sunday and he tests positive 2 days later. Real bang up job, everyone.

to me this again is just indicative of how the mlb approached the whole thing. Yeah, it's easier for the NBA and NHL to make a bubble. But the NBA was working with its players and stars throughout and getting them onboard with what was needed to be safe, and they asked them to sacrifice a lot more.

The mlb was solely concerned with figuring out operating costs and then did the bare minimum imo for safety. They basically got testing and that's it. I'm sure they'd have fans if states allowed it.

Like it probably was a really good idea to have players come to stadium already dressed, that never happened. The separated dugout in the seats was reasonable, didn't happen. Hey guys, wear a mask if you feel like it, and we'll test you occasionally. Otherwise good luck.

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

The other thing we seem to be seeing is arm injuries for pitchers sky rocket, with most coaching staffs blaming the very different "Summer Camp" and the lack of normal ramp up time these guys had. For me, that's taking some of the fun out of it as well, these guys seem like even more of ticking time bombs, like when is the next guy going to go down with elbow or shoulder discomfort? 

Yep seems every day 2-3 pitchers are hitting the shelf. As I said yesterday, this just isn’t enjoyable at all.

• Like 1

Friday: Baseball, National Tequila Day with $3 margarita and taco combo delivered, Roberts' first at bat . . .

I was younger, innocent, perhaps naive, hopeful for the season then

Monday: Yeah, I really don't care. There are problems in the world. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Had a buddy text me this morning. His GF hasn't been feeling great, she thinks she is fine but wants to get tested just to be safe. They told her she would hear back on a test results.....IN 16 DAYS. 16! He said they have faster options but none are covered by insurance and he didn't feel like paying the $150.

I couldn't believe when he said 16 days. What's the point? 

where do they live?

I wouldn't call watching baseball not enjoyable.  I hope they pull it off, and will enjoy an escape from reality to watch the games while they're bing played.  Chances are 9/10 dudes who test positive will be totally fine in mere days, and I don't see what these guys are doing much if any more dangerous than me having to go to work each day.  That being said, based on what has happened with the Marlins, I would be shocked if several teams don't have similar outbreaks.  When it becomes a trend, I am not sure how MLB can continue on.  60 man rosters won't be enough, though I suppose guys on COVID IL don't count towards 40 man. 

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

Had a buddy text me this morning. His GF hasn't been feeling great, she thinks she is fine but wants to get tested just to be safe. They told her she would hear back on a test results.....IN 16 DAYS. 16! He said they have faster options but none are covered by insurance and he didn't feel like paying the $150.

I couldn't believe when he said 16 days. What's the point? 

Wow.  That's crazy.  We had what basically amounts to a community exposure, but our Dr. wrote us scripts for tests, and the results were back in like 16 hours.