MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

9 hours ago, Tony said:

Had a buddy text me this morning. His GF hasn't been feeling great, she thinks she is fine but wants to get tested just to be safe. They told her she would hear back on a test results.....IN 16 DAYS. 16! He said they have faster options but none are covered by insurance and he didn't feel like paying the $150.

I couldn't believe when he said 16 days. What's the point? 

I live in Ottawa, the capital of Canada. Around one million people live here.

We have had our struggles for sure, but right now we turn around test results in 24 hours 34% of the time. 92% of the time in 48 hours. In addition, when someone does test positive we are able to reach all of their contacts through contact tracing 85% of the time within 24 hours of a positive test.

Part of the reason we are able to do these things quickly is we keep the cases down so we don't overwhelm the system.

*knocks on wood*

11 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

I live in Ottawa, the capital of Canada. Around one million people live here.

We have had our struggles for sure, but right now we turn around test results in 24 hours 34% of the time. 92% of the time in 48 hours. In addition, when someone does test positive we are able to reach all of their contacts through contact tracing 85% of the time within 24 hours of a positive test.

Part of the reason we are able to do these things quickly is we keep the cases down so we don't overwhelm the system.

*knocks on wood*

Atta boy Kip

After 60 hours of scrambling to handle Marlins outbreak, will MLB chaos subside?

It was, for another day, chaos.

Brian Cashman, general manager of the New York Yankees, who were in Washington D.C., then Philadelphia, where they did not play a game, then Baltimore, where presumably they would play a game but only after calling back their equipment truck, which had started on the road back to New York, likened the whole experience to “drinking out of a fire hose.”

The Phillies are shut down until Friday. The Marlins, of course, are done until at least next Tuesday, when they are scheduled to host … the Phillies. The Nationals will have the weekend off. Two games were postponed Monday night. On Wednesday the Toronto Blue Jays will play their first home game of the season — in Washington D.C. Their first real home game, which will be played not in Toronto but in Buffalo, is scheduled for Aug. 11, when they are to host … the Marlins.

Because the ball will find you.

https://sports.yahoo.com/after-60-hours-of-scrambling-to-handle-marlins-outbreak-will-mlb-chaos-subside-003930693.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, knightni said:

I wonder who the originator of the COVID is - and how they contracted it.

Ronald McDonald made himself a moldy hamburger with rancid ground pork from a pig that was bit by an Africanized honey bee which had mated with a slovic wombat who had a flu.

Ronald thought it tasted good and got a great deal, so the moldy burgers went into the food supply starting at a roll out location in Wuhan China.

This is exactly how it happened. The president told me himself. Thanks.

Edited by hi8is
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

Ronald McDonald made himself a moldy hamburger with rancid ground pork from a pig that was bit by an Africanized honey bee which had mated with a slovic wombat who had a flu.

Ronald thought it tasted good and got a great deal, so the moldy burgers went into the food supply starting at a roll out location in Wuhan China.

This is exactly how it happened. The president told me himself. Thanks.

unnamed.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just keep postponing games until they're playing baseball in blizzards in January.

Really, if you're not going to go the bubble route, there doesn't seem to be a way to do this safely without constant, substantial interruptions when there's an unchecked pandemic raging in a lot of the country.

Edited by StrangeSox

1 minute ago, knightni said:

There's no point of games in home stadiums and traveling if players and coaches aren't being responsible with themselves off of the field.

Of course, but what does that have to do with anything? Who was being irresponsible off the field?

45 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Not really, not when someone on their coaching staff somehow got it. 

I guess I would say it's a positive that a bunch Marlins had it and transmitted it to very few people and no players. That means the mitigating of the transmission is working pretty well. 

The baked-in physical distancing in baseball seems to have limited team-to-team spread, but it still seems probable that other teams will have someone pick it up outside of baseball and then spread it to multiple people on the team. How do you get around that if you're flying, what, 1500 people around the country and staying in hotels every week?

On 7/27/2020 at 6:16 PM, The Mighty Mite said:

Yet Illinois has 2000 more deaths than Florida and about half the population as the Sunshine State not to mention Chicagoans shooting each other like it's Dodge City.

Unfortunately Florida is quickly catching up to Illinois. And deaths have tended to lag cases.

Take a comparison with New York and Florida. Florida now has more cases recorded than New York. However, New York has 166 deaths per 100,000 people. While Florida only has 31 deaths per 100,000. You would expect those numbers to start getting closer together over time. Hard to see Florida's health care response being that much better than New York's. 

If the gap between Florida and New York on deaths per 100,000 is only split in half, deaths would reach over 20,000 in Florida. Up from the 6,585 today. And of course the more Florida health systems become overwhelmed, the worse they will be able to handle patients with COVID. This will also have negative impacts for patients that need medical support for reasons unrelated to COVID.

Up to now, Florida has 2,148 total cases of COVID per 100,000 people. That number is 1,409 for Illinois. In the last 7 days Florida has 334 cases per 100,000. That number is only 78 for Illinois.  Florida also had almost 1000 deaths in the last week. While Illinois had 117.

The only thing Florida may have going for it, is that while the virus may be evolving to be more contagious, it may also be evolving to be less deadly. More deadly forms of the virus have a harder time spreading. Hopefully their health system has also learned from other jurisdictions that got hit hard earlier.

Anyhow, take all of that with a grain of salt. I'm not an epidemiologist. It also doesn't mean Illinois couldn't slip back into serious trouble.

Sorry - I know this doesn't have anything to do with the White Sox.

• Like 2